Search

Snow Shoeing?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 5th, 2002, 03:52 PM
Steve

Snow Shoeing?

We're going to Stowe, Vt. next week and since my wife doesn't snowboard or ski, I was looking for alternative things to do outdoors. I've run across snow shoeing. Has anyone done it and how physically demanding is it on flat terrain?

Thanks.

Old Jan 5th, 2002, 04:14 PM
Ross

For the first time out, just be sure to stick to flat trails and you should be fine. Getting into the deep snow where trails have not been formed yet can be a challenging workout. Have fun!

Old Jan 5th, 2002, 04:21 PM
Grasshopper

Steve, If you are thinking about snow shoeing, consider cross country skiing. I found it much more pleasurable than snow shoes, particularly on relatively flat terrain. Snow shoes are a lot of work! It's fun but you'll cover several times the distance on xcntry skis!

Old Jan 7th, 2002, 05:21 AM
Liam

I second Grasshopper's suggestion. I am game for just about anything and had an opportunity to try snow shoeing last winter. We went on a fairly hilly woodsy trail and I found it boring. The rewards were not worth the exertion. Some people love it, but I was not impressed. I find X-C skiing much more enjoyable.

Old Jan 7th, 2002, 06:38 AM
sandy

Can't agree with the last two. I'm not a skier (I've down-hilled 3 times), but am pretty athletic. I went cross country skiing last winter for the first time with a group of people. It's not that easy for someone not used to being on skis, even on the flat trails that we were on. I wiped out on every little hill we came upon. I would do it again, but it was a little frustrating tackling a new activity that so many people seemed so "natural" at. Snow shoeing, although slower, requires a lot less coordination. If you can walk you can snow shoe. The first reponse was correct; if you go on trails that are already slightly worn you'll have fun.

Old Jan 7th, 2002, 08:34 AM
dougd

I've done both, snowshoeing and x-c skiing. For someone who's never been on skiis, snowshoeing is definitely easier to get the hang of. On a flat, groomed trail, it's not too strenous. On the other hand, x-c skiing is much more fun, but takes about 1/2 hour to get the feel of it on a flat groomed trail. If I need to get somewhere in the deep snow, I'll put on my snowshoes. If I want to have a fun afternoon, I'll put on my x-c skiis and glide on snowmobile trails and hiking trails.