Snow near San Francisco?

Search

Snow near San Francisco?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 2nd, 2009, 12:46 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Snow near San Francisco?

We are planning a family vacation to San Francisco the last week in March. We are from Florida and my 6 and 9 year old have never seen snow. Is there anyway to take a day trip from San Francisco to see snow that time of year? We are willing to get up early and drive for up to 5 hours if there are other things to do and see on the way. I really want them to see, feel and experience snow but am not sure if it will be possible this trip...any suggestions?
Old Mar 2nd, 2009, 12:54 PM

Look into how long of a drive it is to Tahoe.
Old Mar 2nd, 2009, 01:05 PM

Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts
Tahoe (Squaw Valley, Alpine Meadows, Northstar) is a 4 to 5 hour drive, depending upon time and day. There's lots to do and see on the way.

On weekends, the drive can be a LOT longer -- and, personally, I would not consider trying to do a SF->snow RT on a weekend.

Dodge Ridge is considered "the closest snow to home."
http://www.dodgeridge.com/site/
Old Mar 2nd, 2009, 01:32 PM

You can actually get to Northstar from San Francisco during non-snow and non-commute hours in an easy 3-1/2 hours (and there are closer ski areas, as LucieV mentioned). There will still be plenty of snow at the end of March.
Old Mar 2nd, 2009, 01:47 PM

Not on a weekend, sf7307. And that would be driving straight through without stopping at Ikeda's...which is unthinkable.
Old Mar 2nd, 2009, 01:47 PM

Dodge Ridge area is the place to go, esp. w/kids. There's a sledding place on Hwy 108 just before you get there. Last week of March - hard telling what the snowpack will look like. Once the date gets near, do some online checking.

http://www.openroad.tv/video.php?vid=67
Old Mar 2nd, 2009, 01:54 PM

LucieV, that's why I specified "non-commute hours"!
Old Mar 2nd, 2009, 02:16 PM

Wow, you would do a 5 hour each way, day trip with a 6 & 9 year old? I am in awe. Does the driver know how to drive in snow/mountain conditions?

Be sure to find out if there are rental places to get tubes or sleds ahead of time. Also, not to spoil all your fun, but stay away from tobaggans if you have never been on them. Tricky to handle, speed builds quickly and steering isn't easy.

Deb
Old Mar 2nd, 2009, 02:21 PM

Does the driver know how to drive in snow/mountain conditions?

I don't know about Dodge Ridge (I'm sure you can look it up online), but Northstar has a "tubing" area, where you pay to tube (and they provide the tubes). You should check with Northstar to see how late in the season it's likely to be open.

Regarding driving, I wouldn't worry about it. Check the weather before you go. If there's no snow forecast, go. It's all freeway until you get very close to Northstar. (I agree you shouldn't attempt to drive if there IS snow on the roads, or forecast).
Old Mar 2nd, 2009, 02:50 PM

I understood that, sf. But I can't help worrying that non-Bay Area-ites might not realize that "non-commute" hours -- as far as going to Tahoe -- include Saturday & Sunday!
Old Mar 2nd, 2009, 02:51 PM

I meant to say, of course,
that "non-commute" hours -- as far as going to Tahoe -- do NOT include Saturday & Sunday!
Old Mar 2nd, 2009, 09:04 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
OK - re-post nearer to your dates.

It might be possible to hit snow long before Tahoe/Northstar etc.

Just last week the snow level (and chains) were required just outside Placerville and Auburn. It is snowing pretty low right now. By the time you get here - there could be a late winter storm dumping snow down to 2,000 or 3,000 feet - or we could get a dry spell til then and you'd have to go all the way up to the summits on hwys 50 and 80.

Most of the suggestions above are for actual ski resorts. You don't have to go that high/far if you just want to see/touch/taste snow w/ your kids. Plus - if it is snowing - most rental agencies don't allow you to use snow chains. So if it is snowing - you couldn't go over the mountains anyway.

So if you bring this back up 3 or 4 days before your trip - we can give you the latest info re snow/road conditions . . . .
Old Mar 2nd, 2009, 09:24 PM

boreal is the closest ski resort to san francisco.
even so, without traffic it will be about 3.5 hours.
regardless of snow conditions in the mountains, boreal makes it's own snow for the skiers.
they also have a play area for kids.
Old Mar 2nd, 2009, 10:58 PM

When I used to work in Walnut Creek (a town in the East Bay, about 30 miles from SF), it seemed like a lot of years Mt. Diablo got snow for a few days in March or April. It would be really pretty to see the snow-topped mountain with the spring mustard flowers blooming in the valley.

Of course, that is nothing to rely upon as most of the time it doesn't have any, but when you're in the Bay Area you could check and see if by any chance they have some snow.

The mountain is just under 4000 feet high and is in a state park about a 45 minute drive from the city. Great views from up there on a clear day. You can see the Farallons (islands off the coast) in one direction and the snow-covered Sierras in another and Mt. Lassen to the north.

re: the Sierra ski areas - I know more than one ski fanatic who often drives up from SF just for the day to go skiing, when that's all their schedule permits. Of course they're considerably older than 6 and 9. Probably have less sense too.
Old Mar 3rd, 2009, 08:23 AM

San Francisco to Boreal is less than 185 miles. And just about 3 hours if there's no traffic.
Old Mar 3rd, 2009, 08:32 AM

" . . . . . . if there's no traffic."

(That's being mean - about the only time there is no traffic is @ 3 AM)
Old Mar 3rd, 2009, 08:45 AM

Good one, Janis. And true. But I really think the others are OVER-estimating the time it takes to get there from San Francisco mid-morning on a weekday (unless they don't go over 50 mph).
Old Mar 3rd, 2009, 09:15 AM

You don't have to go all the way to Tahoe. There are snow-parks before you get to the summits.
I really think the drive to Dodge Ridge would take too long.
When you get to SF, check out weather and road conditions and take either Highway 80, Highway 50, or Highway 88 to the nearest snow patch or snow-park.
Old Mar 3rd, 2009, 09:57 AM

elnap29: That's what I was trying to explain too -

jen_lotti: It REALLY depends on the weather conditions on the day you'll be traveling. Like today - there is no way (at all) you could go to the snow: 1) the traffic/standing water on I-80 is really not fun, and 2) there are white out conditions up in the Sierra.

But on another day it could be nice and sunny and the snow fields would look like glorious sugar crystals-- long before getting as far as the ski resorts mentioned above.

So - again, just wait until a couple of days before heading out to CA and ask us again. One note though - you don't plan your day trip for a Friday or a Sunday if possible. There are special traffic issues both days that would make your trip that much harder/longer.
Old Mar 3rd, 2009, 10:41 AM
Original Poster

Thank you all for your replies!! I will post again as it gets closer. My husband and I are both from New York so we can drive in snow. We don't actually need to go to a ski area either....I just want them to experience it in some way. Thanks again for your responses...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -