Snow in Lake Tahoe region

Old Oct 2nd, 2004, 05:37 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Snow in Lake Tahoe region

Hi,

When does it typically start snowing in Lake Tahoe region?

-S
Old Oct 2nd, 2004, 10:36 PM

"When does it typically start snowing in Lake Tahoe region?"

Almost every year, the first big storm is during Veteran's Day Weekend.
Old Oct 2nd, 2004, 10:53 PM

My parents use to have a timeshare at N. Shore Lake Tahoe during the first week of December. Some years there would be snow, some years there wouldn't be any snow and some years it snowed while we were there.

Utahtea
Old Oct 3rd, 2004, 01:51 AM
Original Poster

Thanks. How long does it take to drive from San Francisco to N. Shore? Any recommendations for a mid-range family hotel/resort?

Regards,
-S
Old Oct 3rd, 2004, 06:32 AM

I was just in South Lake Tahoe September 14-20. The first few days were sunny and warm, then the weather changed. There were light snow flurries the last two days, but not enough to stick on the ground. By the time we left Tuesday afternoon, the sun was back out. We drove from the east side of the bay in just over 3 hours. So, I'd say it'll take you around 4 hours via I-80. Have fun!
Old Oct 4th, 2004, 01:38 PM

Do you mean when is there enough snow to ski -- or just when you might experience any snow?

It actually can snow any month on the peaks around Tahoe - but it is pretty rare June/July/August.

I spend most May's up at North Shore and have had everything from 80F+ to 28F and snow.

There really isn't a "typical" time that will answer your question, since every year is different. Snow flurries can be any time from Sept through May. Enough snow accumulated on the ground for the ski resorts to open - usually Thanksgiving (if the resorts are lucky) through March (but not every year)
Old Oct 4th, 2004, 02:51 PM

Some of my children go almost annually to Lake Tahoe for skiing the week between Christmas and New Years and I don't ever remember them complaining about the snow conditions. They always seem to have a fantastic time. So although I don't ski I think that would be a very good time to go.
Old Oct 4th, 2004, 04:02 PM
Original Poster

Hi,

My kids have been brought up in Singapore so they have never experienced "being in snow". For this trip, I would be happy with snow flurries and if the kids get to "be there while it snows". Not very particular about being able to ski.

From the various reponses, looks like there could possibly be snow flurries if we go in mid-Nov but not necessarily enough snow for ski. Guess, I can get a clearer idea about the possibility of "snow flurries" by checking out the weather forecast couple of days ahead!

Thanks for all the comments.

Regards,
-S
Old Oct 4th, 2004, 06:55 PM

If you want to make sure you see snow, then I would wait until mid-December or even later .

Utahtea