Search

Snorkeling Kauai

Search this Thread

Old May 4th, 2001, 07:39 PM
Laura

Snorkeling Kauai

Will be in Kauai the last two weeks of May. We have snorkeled extensively in the Caribbean and am wondering if it's comparable in Kauai. Is the water as clear as it is in the Caribbean? Are the reefs as good? We like to go out on our own...no tours. Anyone have any suggestions on little known unspoiled areas we can seek out? Any info is appreciated.

Old May 4th, 2001, 08:06 PM
David

I know I'm going to hear a lot of grief for saying this but the answer to your first question is NO. The water in Hawaii is a deep blue as opposed to the clear / turquoise waters of the Caribbean. It's not a bad thing just a fact. The islands in Hawaii are much younger, geologically speaking, and thus are much more mountain like in structure and do not have the exstensive reef formations. Technically Mauna Lau or Mauna Kea would be the worlds tallest mountains if you counted their bases from the bottom of the ocean. I speak from the following experience: 1. Lived in Hawaii 2. Married in Caribbean and snorkeled and Scuba there many times. Don't get me wrong, I love Hawaii it's just a fact that the water's traditionally not going to come close to the Caribbeans. However, Hanauma bay on Oahu is a hard place to beat as far as snorkeling goes!

Old May 4th, 2001, 09:47 PM
suzanne

Been to Kauai twice, snorkeling was not on my agenda......at all. I've snorkeled in the Caribbean too, hard to beat. I did go on a scuba dive (I'm not certified, just an introductory dive through a hotel), saw some nice stuff, but no comparison to the Caribbean. If you want to snorkel in Hawaii, I definitely recommend the big Island (Near Cook's Monument - actually that's the best snorkeling I've ever done anywhere, but I think that's mostely through tours) or on Maui (several good locations).

Old May 5th, 2001, 06:31 AM
Judy

Hi Laura, I am a diver and I do as much snorkeling as possible to scout out dive sites. I like the snorkeling in the Big Isl. best,,,,I don't remember the name but it was 3 miles from Kona town and it was a city park with facilities,,, some of the best ever snorkeling!
On Kauai, we did the Sheraton hotel/Kiahuna beach and Lawa'i Beach near Prince Kuhio park, not too far from the spouting horn. The water is not as clear there, but I did see creatures that were wonderful: turtles galore! FYI, Judy

Old May 5th, 2001, 06:39 AM
Shari

Laura,
I was in Kauai in January and went snorkeling for the first time. I went to the beach at Poipu, just east of the Sheraton. I have no comparison, but I found it to be fabulous. According to everyone I spoke with, this is the best snorkeling on the island. You will find a lot of first timers, so it may not be what you are looking for. When you are done snorkeling, have some dinner at Roy's Poipu Bar & Grill in the Poipu shopping villiage. It makes for a great day.

Shari

Old May 7th, 2001, 03:01 PM
Bill

I have snorkeled at Tunnels beach on the North Shore of Kauai and found it to be very good. Lots of fish and protected by a frining reef if the surf is up. Have also snorkeled on Maui in several places, and found the water clearer on Maui, but still good on Kauai.

Old May 7th, 2001, 03:07 PM
jenny

hi laura

the snorkeling is wonderful there. my husband and i go there every year.. i recomend snor. naked and making love in the water. it is quite tricky but well worth it. my husband is 59 and has trouble with comming around and i am 24 and am in need of a strong partner. in the water every one is younger!

happy doing it
jenny

Old May 12th, 2001, 11:22 AM
Sam

Jenny, is that you I saw 3 weeks ago? If so, I think your husband is quite lucky!