Search

Snorkeling gear

Search this Thread

Old Mar 3rd, 2008, 04:56 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Snorkeling gear

Hi...
Is it worth buying and bringing our own snorkeling gear? We will snorkel a bit, but I have no idea how much it costs to rent. And we will be on 2 different islands, so we'd have to rent twice. Costco has a decent travel set for $40...
Thanks!
Old Mar 3rd, 2008, 05:06 AM

You may get a better response if you post in the Caribbean forum. It may make some sense to buy a snorkel and mask if you travel to the Caribbean or Florida a lot, but if this will be your one and only trip then I doubt it will be worth it. Large hotels lend, rather than rent, snorkel gear. If you are renting a villa or staying at a small hotel that doesn't lend snorkels and masks, then it might be cheaper to buy.
Old Mar 3rd, 2008, 05:27 AM

In Hawaii there is a company, I can't remember the name, I'm sure someone else will tell you, but they had 3,4,5 day rental fees that were good for multiple islands.

The snorkel, mask and fins can be a little heavy and they take up a lot of room when you pack (the fins are long), so consider that before you buy.

If you plan on using them again in the next year or two, I would think about buyng, if not, just rent/borrow (from the hotel).

Happy planning! & Have a great week!
Old Mar 3rd, 2008, 05:39 AM

Received 46 Likes on 17 Posts
I like to travel with my own. I want a mask that I know that won't leak and I just like having my own snorkel (and mouthpiece). I use my snorkel bag as my travel bag and stuff magazine, airplane stuff and a swimsuit and change of clothes in there - so if my luggage is lost I am ready to start my vacation. I travel with my fins, but some just take snorkel and mask and rent the fins on vacation.

I think Snorkel Bob is the rental location in Hawaii that a lot use.
Old Mar 3rd, 2008, 06:31 AM

IMHO, having your own gear that fits is better than using equipment that has been "sanitized" mouth after mouth (not facetious quotes, just not sure of the word). I can always find room for my mask and snorkel, which I love! You save precious vacation time in line at the shop, tring on different rental gear, and then having to return. Here's a tip; if you are a woman or man with more than 1/2 inch of head hair, get a neoprene strap cozy, if makes for much more comfort. (Also, You can make your own with a cheap beer bottle cover, or other; mine's from a dollar store!)
p.s. Snorkel Bobs great rental deals aren't so great, when you see what the wonderful coupons actually get you; remember Sea Hunt? About that vintage, unless you go way up in price!
Old Mar 3rd, 2008, 06:58 AM

I strongly recommend that you bring your own gear. My wife and I rented on the Big island and she got a serious throat infection which the doctor at the hospital said was common as the gear is not always that sanitary. After that we always brought our own Also, as a previous poster said this way you can insure that the mask fits correctly. Nothing is more annoying than a leaky mask.
Old Mar 3rd, 2008, 07:10 AM

And to check that fit, if your choice at Costco is packaged to get through a nuclear attack, ask them to have one open (for the obvious reason), or go to a store that has that mask on display. (EAsy to check, just place it on face and breathe in through nose; should stay without too much sucking in, and shouldn't hurt any pressure points)
Old Mar 3rd, 2008, 09:45 AM

We always bring our own, just because we like knowing we have something that will fit us and that doesn't have cooties.
Old Mar 3rd, 2008, 10:15 AM

Prefer to use our own and we didn't spend a lot.
If you're not sure you can buy on island at one of the ABC stores. They have a small range of equipment but similar prices to Costco.
For 2 rentals you could easily pay as much as buying your own (the bigger the hotel the more the rental cost in my experience!)
Old Mar 3rd, 2008, 11:00 AM

I bring my own mask and snorkel, and rent fins.

As others have said, a properly fitted mask can head off leakage or other issues that can detract from your vacation experience. I bought mine from a dive shop; although it's probably more expensive than at a big box retailer, it's beneficial to have a professional help you choose.

Since I have my own snorkel and it doesn't take much room, I bring that as well. (Not sure it's actually more sanitary than what I would rent -- although I guess it's my own spit, plus whatever has started to grow in it!)

Fins take up the most space in luggage, and I'm not picky about them, so renting them tends to be the best solution.
Old Mar 3rd, 2008, 12:59 PM

DH and I are divers, so we have our own gear, but even if I didn't, I'd be very leery of renting used masks and snorkels...I'm by no means a germophobe but....ick! A mask and snorkel at our local dive shop can be as little as 35 dollars, and that's for scuba rated equipment that will last you for years. If you don't think that buy fins is cost effective for you, go ahead and just rent those.

Have a great trip!
Old Mar 3rd, 2008, 06:01 PM

Check out the Costco package, take it home and try it in a pool. If you don't like it, take it back. I know many dives shops will let you do that.

As someone already stated, you won't get really great quality with a rental place. If you get there and decide to upgrade then you could have already paid for a snorkel and mask of your own.
Old Mar 3rd, 2008, 06:09 PM
Original Poster

<<Check out the Costco package, take it home and try it in a pool. If you don't like it, take it back. I know many dives shops will let you do that.>>

Hi,
Thanks for all the input! I think I'm going to do as alliegator suggested (see above). I know that Costco is great as far as returns, so I'll give it a try.

I'll post when we get back!

Old Mar 3rd, 2008, 06:26 PM
kealalani

We bring one set that we purchased in the mesh bag with surf shoes. The fins and my surf shoes work well together and my husband then fits just the fins. Having 2 sets of reef shoes is more important than any surfer gear. if snorkling is amazzing, we rent additional gear, but having a set that works for both of us on hand is great.

Old Mar 3rd, 2008, 06:37 PM

Received 46 Likes on 17 Posts
My carryon bag for island vacations -
http://www.diversdirect.com/items/EV...el-Bag_ID49324

Stuff a thin beach Kmart beach towel, swimsuit, shorts and T in there along with a magazine and paperback and you have (almost) everything you need - whether or not your checked luggage makes it

There is no way I'd use a rental snorkel on a vacation.
Old Mar 3rd, 2008, 06:44 PM
kealalani

everything but reef shoes

Old Apr 21st, 2008, 10:02 AM

I think it's definitely worth bringing your own mask and snorkel. They are small to pack, and it means you have a mask/snorkel combo that you know fits you perfectly before you even get there. Having a mask that fits is crucial, since that is your window to the underwater world, whether you're snorkeling or scuba diving. Also, it means you can go snorkeling whenever you want without having to take the time to rent; often there is good snorkeling right off the beach from where you're staying. I'd recommend checking out:
http://www.scuba.com/scuba-gear/Masks.html
and http://www.scuba.com/scuba-gear-39/Snorkels.html
They have a great selection of masks and snorkels at very good prices. Plus, they have a generous 60-day return policy.
Old Apr 21st, 2008, 10:56 AM
GoTravel

We've used our own for years.

The two biggest pieces of advice I can give you are:

Buy a rolling dive bag for your gear.

Always but always rinse the salt water off your gear.