Search

Snorkel virgins needs help in Maui!

Search this Thread

Old Jul 17th, 2003, 07:36 PM
SSN
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Snorkel virgins needs help in Maui!

Here's the scoop: we are non-swimmers and don't really care for the water but we love to try snorkeling. Can anyone recommend a good place to snorkel but only in shoulder-height water or less? We could also use some snorkeling lessons too. Don't mind being in a group but some personal attention & assistance will put our minds at ease. Thanks for your help!
Old Jul 17th, 2003, 08:15 PM

SSN,

My first rec would be to try snorkeling in a pool before you go to Maui. You'll find that it's a lot easier to float horizontally with fins on, and you'll get accustomed to breathing through a snorkel. That way, you'll know beforehand if you're comfortable with having your head submersed for a while and if you're up to it.

You might also consider getting a snorkel vest, which is probably better than those "floaties"--foam tubes, or better yet, rent a boogie board with a leash at the same time you rent snorkel gear.

On Maui, make sure to restrict your snorkeling to protected bays which should minimize currents and stay away from the sides or wherever you see waves break. And go in the mornings before the tradewinds make snorkeling conditions more difficult and visibility worse.

As to shoulder-height water or less, the only area off the top of my head is the eastern side of Black Rock but that would be quite confining and limited in underwater variety. The right side of Honolua Bay has nice coral formations and isn't fairly deep but you have to swim out quite a ways, oftentimes in dark, muddy water. You can rock hop over to that region instead of swimming but you'd then have to deal with the surf. Try the shallow regions of Kapalua Bay, Ulua Beach, Wailea Beach and Polo Beach.

Hope this helps!
Old Jul 18th, 2003, 04:59 AM

I'd spring for one of the boat trips. They will teach you and take you to some great spots. You certainly don't need to know how to swim, and it's impossible to sink in the salt water.
Old Jul 18th, 2003, 06:32 AM

We vacation in Maui every summer, in fact just returned. My husband isn't a strong swimmer so here are some of the things we do. We never go out alone. He wears a life jacket (Costco). Sometimes if it is a long swim he will bring our son's boogy board.
Black Rock at the Sheraton on Kaanapali Beach has easy access into the water and lots of fish.
Honolua Bay is very good.
Mile marker 14 is shallow and good too but watch out, you can't stand on coral.
I agree, for non-swimmers and a great experience take a tour. Molokini has great snorkling and there are many experienced divers around.
Have fun
Old Jul 18th, 2003, 08:01 AM

You can walk right into the ocean off many of the Wailea area beaches and snorkel in shallow water and as you get more comfy with it, just swim out a bit further. If you're feeling more adventurous, take a group snorkeling trip to a further out area.

Ruth
Old Jul 18th, 2003, 08:11 AM

as good as the boat tours to Molokini are, I wouldn't take one unless you had already practiced in the water, and you knew that you could swim a short distance if you got farther from the boat than you anticipated.

Maui Dive Shop might be able to help you with the lessons.

The beaches mentioned here by others are a good place to start.
Old Jul 18th, 2003, 09:29 AM

"it's impossible to sink in the salt water": Oh, good! Now we can let all our lifeguards go and save a bunch of money!

IT IS NOT IMPOSSIBLE TO SINK IN SALT WATER!

Sorry to scream but I am a retired law enforcement officer from a coastal county and I cannot begin to estimate how many bodies I have helped pull from the ocean.

The ocean (any ocean) can be safe and enjoyable but it demands repsect. The poster, who stated his/her group are non-swimmers should not be encouraged to a false sense of safety.

To safely enjoy the water, there are several rules to follow:

1. Never go alone-always have a swim buddy.
2. Pay attention to weather/surf reports. When there are indications of storms, rough water, high waves, or heavy currents, non-swimmers (and swimmers who are not ocean-experienced) should enjoy the water from the beach.
3. Swim near manned life guard stands and observe warning flags.
4. Get familiar with your snorkel and fins in a non-challenging environment (pool, bay) before going into the open ocean.
5. don't overdue it. Both the sun and the exertion can tire you more than you realize and tired swimmers are much more likely to get in trouble.

Use your common sense and have a great time.
Old Jul 18th, 2003, 09:56 AM

I don't agree with trying Black Rock at the Sheraton. When I was there in May, the waves and currents were quite strong.
it's much better just on the other side of black Rock, near the new Westin. VERY small waves and snorkeling 20 feet from the shore.
Old Jul 18th, 2003, 02:33 PM

Depends on the time of year at Black Rock. Was there couple of weeks ago and it was EASY access, relatively calm, and big beach area. Was there year ago in April and there were big waves, and almost no beach. Follow the other posters' advice -- practive in a pool or spa - thats what I did for a few minutes just to get comfortable with the breathing etc. Its a breeze and when you are ready there are plenty of shallow areas to try it as everyone is telling you. My first time was in Hanauma Bay on Oahu where it is very shallow far out -- just don't walk on the coral --it hurts 'em. Suck it up and stick your face in the water and you will be amazed at what you see............
Old Jul 18th, 2003, 04:46 PM
SSN
Original Poster

Thanks for all the great tips! Is there any place in Maui that will give you snorkel lessons in a pool before going out? In a tour, does the guide goes in the water with you? Is there lifeguards around to watch over you? Have to admit that it's nerve-wrecking to go out in deep water even with a life vest. Thanks again & please keep them coming! We need all the help we can get.......
Old Jul 18th, 2003, 04:49 PM
JMM

Since you are non-swimmers DO NOT even consider snorkeling in Hawaii UNLESS you are on an organized tour AND wearing snorkeling vests. Be sure to let the tour operator know that you are highly inexperienced. I am an experienced swimmer and snorkeler and the Pacific is not an ocean to be treated lightly. There are big waves, undertows and rip currents. I would NEVER encourage a non-swimmer to just dive in and snorkel in an un-supervised setting. And I am truly amazed that Erico Smith would say something as idiotic that it is impossible to sink in salt water - really tell that to the people who drown every year swimming in the ocean.
Old Jul 18th, 2003, 05:15 PM

SSN

A critical question:

A) is it true that you know how to swim, but don't like to ?

B) or do you not know how to swim?

If it's A I'd worry less. If it's B, you have no reason to take a tour to Molokini. There is no shallow water, there are too many people and not enough lifeguards. Pretty fish and coral aren't worth dying for.

Talk to some people in Maui who work at dive shops and find out where you can do your shallow water snorkelling and see if there are any lessons you can take. Be very cautious, it's very easy to panic when you're in the water.

PANIC = Drowning

signed, a former lifeguard
Old Jul 18th, 2003, 05:45 PM

I really have no input on the question...I just wanted to say I love the term "snorkel Virgins"...
Old Jul 18th, 2003, 05:56 PM

I second the vote for liking the term snorkel virgins!
Old Jul 18th, 2003, 06:17 PM

At most of the places that rent snorkel sets you can also rent floating boards like boogie boards with masks built into them. This allows a non swimmer the ability to float out and sort of get a feel for what snorkeling is like. I would assume that if you cannot swim you would then wear a lifejacket along with this just to be sure. I find that my perception of depth is thrown off when snorkeling and often I will find myself thinking the area I have swam to is not too deep but in reality it is much deeper than I thought. Just to keep in mind.
Old Jul 18th, 2003, 07:25 PM
SSN
Original Poster

I thought that was an odd comment about not able to sink in salt water since I was one of those who definitely sinks & fast before I took swimming lessons. Now I know how to swim & float but can't tread water. So I tend to panic if my feet doesn't touch the floor. My husband don't know how to swim at all. On top of that he wears glasses & I wear contacts. We love to see the beautiful sealife that we heard about so much and be close that you can almost touch them but not ready to risk it all to experience it. Think we'll stick to the shores for now. Thanks to all for your advice & tips. Please let me know if you can think of some more easy places to snorkel or to take lessons. Also is there any particular rules while out snorkeling? Don't want to offend anyone or look like a complete idiot!
Old Jul 18th, 2003, 07:44 PM

Received 17 Likes on 1 Post
SSN - snorkeling isn't like scuba diving. It's fairly easy if you aren't afraid of water and can relax.

If you are wearing a life vest it doesn't matter how deep the water is. The life vest will keep you floating in the water without even having to move your arms or legs. You just hang there in the water.

We snorkled two places in Maui. One was Molokini and we were there in July. The water may be different at different times of the year but I can't imagine a more beautiful place to snorkel and the water was smooth and calm and peaceful. You don't need to know how to swim to snorkel. You just move your legs like you see scuba divers do and your body just moves thru the water.

If you go to Molokini on a boat, you will put on your life vest or jacket, your fins and your mask. You then climb down a ladder into the water. You can just float in the water getting used to moving your feet with the flippers and putting the mask on and dipping your face in the water. Once the floating and flippers and mask feel comfortable, move away from the boat a little and put your head in the water and look down and practice breathing. It feels weird at first. With your face in the water, most likely your body will just float on top of the water unless you start kicking and try to keep yourself vertical. Don't fight it - just let your body float to the top and keep looking down and practice breathing.

Snorkeling is an amazing experience and I don't think you should give up easily. When you first get in the water, you'll be cold and scared. Just remember what you need to do and will yourself to relax. I made my husband hold my hand the first time I went because it made me more comfortable. So we snorkeled Molokini holding hands.

If you think you are going to snorkel, go to one of the rental shops and check out their gear. You can rent masks that are prescription lenses and that fit well. And you can get fins that fit well also. If the first place you stop doesn't have what you want or the salesman doesn't help you the way you want - go to another one. There are many on the island. You can rent life belts and vests there too. The charter boats furnish these items but rent them yourself and you'll know they fit and you can see clearly without glasses and contacts.

Visit with the charter companies and ask them where they go and what the water is expected to be like.

Do go snorkel in Maui. It's an experience you'll always remember. Good luck!

Old Jul 18th, 2003, 09:01 PM

Although I am an accomplished swimmer and have snorkled on vacations for about the last 15 years, I once had a panic attack of sorts (or something!) while snorkeling. I was in deep water on a rough day and I really had to settle myself down by breathing deeply, and talking to myself. I also stayed within view of the ship anchor for awhile! I just wanted to echo Bay Area's comment about "do not panic." Good luck and be safe.
Old Jul 19th, 2003, 08:20 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If you've had no experience don't do a shore snorkel alone. Judging the water conditons is a critical skill that requires experience.
Please don't snorkel in water that is very shallow, you'll step on the coral and kill it.
Thousands of people like you visit Hawaii every year and discover the wonder of snorkeling on a Molokini boat trip. Go with any boat and they'll equip you with a vest and training. I hope it begins a life-long love of the sport.
Old Jul 19th, 2003, 01:23 PM

Good going dwooddon. I applaud your warnings to the "snorkel virgins". I am a retired P.E. instructor and have supervised hundreds of campers, students, etc. Any kind of water is not to be taken lightly. NEVER. I don't care how organized the event is or not. It is better to be mentally prepared for any such activity so that you can stay alive to enjoy the experience. A little 6 year old boy drowned at a Ft. Myers Beach pool; 21 lifeguard/adults were supervising. The pool was at half capacity and I am sick about this tragedy. For the "virgins"; don't be freaked out, but be prepared about any water experience.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -