Snake/Columbia River Cruise

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 1st, 2024, 01:54 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My wife and I are considering a river cruise. We normally plan a cruise based on the weather. What is the best time of year for this cruise?
We are an older couple so we are not interested in a sport type offering. We are more interested in enjoying the scenery and relaxed day trips. I know there are several lines doing this cruise. If anyone could give us a recommended cruise line and your personal experience that would be appreciated. Thanks.
Old Apr 1st, 2024, 02:43 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
American Cruise Lines does this itinerary. We went on their Alaska cruise several years ago and it was very nice! But very expensive. If you have the $$, then do it. Everything is included.
Old Apr 3rd, 2024, 06:36 AM

Received 79 Likes on 8 Posts
I would be inclined to do the Columbia/Snake cruise in the spring rather than the high summer or early fall. In the spring the waterfalls along the Columbia Gorge will be at their best with mountain snow runoff, and the Palouse hills and vineyards around Walla Walla will also be green and lovely. The farther you get into the summer, the hotter it will be in that (typically) hot area, and the risk of smoke from forest and wildfires will increase. If your plan is for this year, because of relatively low snowpack in the Cascades this winter, the chances of drought and fire problems later in the summer are much higher than normal.