Old Aug 19th, 2002, 01:27 AM
connie

SMOKING in SAN Francisco?

Do any restaurants in the San Francisco area
allow smoking?

Thank you!

Old Aug 19th, 2002, 03:47 AM
Nicotine Nancy

No. Sorry. You'll have to take it outside.

Old Aug 19th, 2002, 04:24 AM
michael

Could Nicotine Nancy tell me if there are restaurants that serve food to customers sitting outside, which allow smoking?

Old Aug 19th, 2002, 05:56 AM
Joe

No restaurant in California can allow smoking in any eating areas, street tables included.

Old Aug 19th, 2002, 06:12 AM
Jill

I believe this is incorrect information. My husband smokes and we often eat at outside tables where there are other smokers seated. This includes smaller restaurants as well as chains such as Outback Steakhouse (we live in Orange County-Southern California, but I would imagine the smoking laws are uniform within the entire state but perhaps regulated as the owners choose.)

Old Aug 19th, 2002, 06:21 AM
Nicotine Nancy

Maybe it does vary a little by county/city. I'm pretty sure that in the entire Bay Area you can't smoke outside when food is present but perhaps someone can correct me on this. In the city of SF, there aren't many "outdoor dining" places I frequent!

Old Aug 19th, 2002, 08:20 AM
Faina

Check the restaurants which have brewery on-site. Or sport bars. Must be something where smoking is allowed. Of course our smokers are on the list of endangered species but they can't be extinct.

Old Aug 19th, 2002, 08:26 AM
Larry

I've visited both North and South California and there are more outside restaurants in Southern Cal (warmer year around weather) so your choices in SF may be more limited....although I'm sure they do exist.

Old Aug 19th, 2002, 08:55 AM
Barbara

It doesn't matter if it has a brewery on site or if it's a sports bar. You can't smoke indoors in a public place, including bars and restaurants, in California. If a restaurant has an outdoor area, smoking may be allowed there, it is up to the restaurant. As others have said, there are fewer outdoor eating areas in N. California than in the south because the weather is cooler and wetter.

Old Aug 19th, 2002, 09:25 AM
Faina

OK, here is the website with a list of "smoking allowed" restaurants in San Francisco:

http://www.cigargroup.com/regional/c.../sf-smoke.html

Old Aug 19th, 2002, 09:29 AM
Barb

I'll be glad when they start making smokers begin putting money aside (via taxation) in advance for their own health care, since they suck up such a huge chunk of the health care dollars.

Smokers suck....literally and figuratively.

Old Aug 19th, 2002, 09:35 AM
David

Faina,

How could there be any restaurants in San Francisco that allow smoking? Are you sure that this is accurate? The law in California does not allow for smoking in any restaurant, bar, or within 30 ft. of an entrance to a restaurant/bar. If there are restaurants in San Francisco that allow smoking, they are breaking the law.

Old Aug 19th, 2002, 09:46 AM
Faina

David, as a non-smoker I can't answer any of your questions. I don't have time to call each restaurant on this list to confirm smoking is allowed - I couldn't care less! I found this web trying to help Connie - the rest is up to her.

Old Aug 19th, 2002, 09:52 AM
Susan

I spent the evening at Foreign Cinema on Friday and the outdoor patio does allow smoking and serves food. There are ashtrays on each outdoor table but apparently there's a rule that if anyone sitting outside complains about the smoke, the smoker must go stand in the corner and smoke. (!) It did add to the frenchness of it all, especially with La Femme Nikita playing on the screen outside. The only caveat, it is San Francisco. If you plan to dine outside, bring a jacket.

Old Aug 19th, 2002, 11:22 AM
David

Faina,

Sorry, didn't mean to stir up the hornet's nest. I just was curious as to when this website was posted? Maybe it was created before California's smoking law went into effect.

Old Aug 19th, 2002, 11:35 AM
Carolyn

It is legal in any California establishment to smoke outdoors, with some restriction on proximity to closed areas. The actual law was written as a protection for employees to have a safe work environmment. So, if a restaurant is run and staffed by the owner(s), smoking is actually permitted. They cannot have even one employee in the facility or they are breaking the law. I frequent a bar in the SF area, where everyone who works there is a partner in the business, they allow smoking and are curiously proud of it.

Old Aug 19th, 2002, 11:53 AM
Michael

Can Caroline tell me where that bar is?!

Old Aug 19th, 2002, 05:28 PM
Mark

I'd love to know this address...or any other similar in California as we'll be visiting next month for 3 weeks up and down the state. Thanks. Mark

Old Aug 19th, 2002, 05:33 PM
I

To ALL you "smokers" out there, It aint you that smokes, the cigarette smokes, you the damn sucker!

Old Aug 19th, 2002, 10:32 PM
Betty

I too would like to know the addresses of these restaurant (owners) through out the state or is there a web site?? Betty

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -