Small ski places in SoCal?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 8th, 2010, 02:07 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Anyone know of small ski places in southern California, i.e. those that are not too crowded for beginners?

I know of Mammoth and Big Bear, but hear that they're very big and crowded.

Please pass along any info on great ski deals in the area too.

Thanks!
Old Jan 8th, 2010, 04:08 PM

There aren't a lot of options. The smallest "resort" I know if is Badger Pasrr near Yosemite... its more of a small family place and super for beginners!

Good luck!
Old Jan 8th, 2010, 06:05 PM

Sorry... Badger Pass.
Old Jan 8th, 2010, 06:15 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
>>Badger Pass near Yosemite...IN Yosemite.

Badger Pass is about perfect for what you want, but it is quite a ways from SoCal. Does it have to be in Southern California? There are several smaller resorts in the general Tahoe area.
Old Jan 8th, 2010, 06:41 PM

janis, I know, I just didnt know if jc98 would know that its not in the valley and that there would be driving involved. Sometimes its difficult to explain and I didnt think that theyd want to go that far north anyway.

I just couldnt think of anything in socal! lol China Peak? Now Sierra Summit up above Fresno would be the only one... considered small compared to Mammoth or Bear, I guess.
Old Jan 8th, 2010, 07:27 PM

Big Bear is large? I'm from Colorado, so No.

There used to be another area in Big Bear Lake called Snow Summit, and another down the road called Snow Valley. Also Wrightwood had a small ski area. Not sure if these are in business still.
Old Jan 8th, 2010, 07:47 PM

Snow Summit in Big Bear is still a great mountain to ski from SD/LA to summit is 2 hours.
Mountain High and also Mt. Baldy ski resorts are great outside of LA.
Old Jan 8th, 2010, 09:15 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Mammoth is not crowded Monday through Thursday. Big or small, you only ski one run at a time.
Old Jan 9th, 2010, 09:04 AM

June Mountain, owned by the same folks as Mammoth, is only a few miles further north on 395 but it much more laid back and smaller than Mammoth.
Old Jan 9th, 2010, 11:49 AM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
I was thinking of June Mountain too - but haven't been there for years so have no idea of what its like now.
Old Jan 9th, 2010, 01:22 PM

I like June too (learned to ski there and met my husband on the same weekend!), but it is the poor step-child of Mammoth. Opens later (maybe Christmas) and closes earlier (mid-April last year). It does get viewer skiers/riders, but also less attention to the mountain by management.
Old Jan 9th, 2010, 08:15 PM

Big Bear is very small and crowded imo - Mammoth is much larger and a better place to ski. Are you skiing or snowboarding? I would go to Mammoth personally. The more advanced slopes tend to be less crowded period - how advanced are you?
Old Jan 12th, 2010, 08:17 AM
lvk

A quick & dirty rundown for you:
Mountain High - Wrightwood: small resort, totally taken over by snowboarders. Not a good place for beginners. Or skiiers
Snow Valley - Running Springs (on the way to Big Bear) At a lower elevation, so is not always open, and if open, not all lifts/trails available (but they'll still charge you full price for a ticket!)
Bear Mountain - Big Bear: larger, crowded mountain, also caters to snowboarders. Lousy layout.
Snow Summit - Big Bear: More skiier and family friendly. On weekends, Summit Run (the main beginner run from the top of the mountain) looks like the 405 at rush hour. Midweek, though, it is not too bad. On the right side of the mountain, there is a "family ski park" serviced by lift 9, which doesn't get too crowded. You can stay up there and practice what you've learned without having to come down to the bottom of the mountain.
Mammoth: Huge, expensive ($87 for a one-day ticket) and crowded, but definitely the best skiing.
June: One of our favorites, but can be intimidating for beginners as there is a very steep lift you have to ride just to get from the parking lot to the lodge. It is usually uncrowded, and has a very nice beginner run from the top of the mountain, but not many others.

Snow Summit mid-week would be your best bet, IMO.
Old Jan 12th, 2010, 09:36 AM

GREAT post Ivk!
Old Jan 12th, 2010, 12:09 PM

Mammoth has been offering lift ticket deals for skiing/riding Monday through Thursday. Even with reduced prices, it's not crowded on those days.

I don't ski Mammoth Friday through Sunday. Not worth the cost, IMO.
Old Jan 12th, 2010, 02:12 PM
Original Poster

Thanks, all, for your responses. Ivk, great summary!

Thanks!
Old Jan 13th, 2010, 06:12 PM
lvk

Jean is right. Here are the current deals for Mammoth: http://www.mammothmountain.com/Resor...idweekMadness/

This, and the fact that they have gotten over a foot of new snow and are expecting more, might just tip the scales in favor of midweek in Mammoth.

If you are willing to drive about 4 hours longer (from the LA basin), and you have chains for your tires, it might just be worth the trek.

They are expecting precipitation in Big Bear, also, but it might be too warm at that elevation for snow.
Old Jan 22nd, 2010, 06:22 AM

Hey!

I think you should try out Mountain High!

They are running a promotion too for college night (not sure how old you are) But it's a few thursday until March where it's only $20 bucks to ride from 5-10pm, so could help you practice for cheap!

Check it out - http://www.mthigh.com/promo/college.html
Old Jan 22nd, 2010, 12:36 PM

DS went to Mammoth on what is one of the busiest weekends of the year - though the lists are corwded it's a huge place and the runs were not.

Do you all think of Mammoth as So Cal? Wow not me.

Out of Fresno is the place I learned to ski, Sierra Ski Summit:

http://www.sierrasummit.com/ski/
Old Jan 22nd, 2010, 03:23 PM

People think of Mammoth as SoCal because it draws more skiers/riders from the south. Northern Californians tend to go to the Lake Tahoe area.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -