Old Sep 12th, 2008, 12:43 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Slot Canyon Deaths

Once again, slot canyon hikers
have died in Utah. They were
led by professional guides and
still were taken by surprise.

Remember, "desert canyons don't care" so you need to be vigilant, especially if you travel to Utah's canyons during monsoon season.

http://www.sltrib.com/ci_10444867
Old Sep 12th, 2008, 12:51 PM

Wow, that's amazing. Surprising to me that they were with a guide with 14 years experience and still got caught out.

I used to hike a lot in the slots (Buckskin Gulch, Paria, Antelope Canyon) but only between April and late June. I always thought it was too risky during the monsoon season.

The eleven hikers who were killed in the Antelope Canyon flash flood several years back (August) were in on a clear day but there was a bit of rain well up-canyon and they had zero chance once the water hit.

Thanks for the reminder.

Bill
Old Sep 12th, 2008, 01:10 PM

Yikes.

Sad reminder.

Some of my very favorite hikes have been through the slot canyons in the Southwest. So far, we've been to the Narrows in Zion, Wire Pass to Buckskin Gulch and Antelope Canyon near Page, AZ.
Old Sep 12th, 2008, 04:44 PM

peterboy

This is very sad news indeed. Unfortunately our beautiful wilderness can kill you. Mother Nature is in charge, not us.

I live in northern UT, but watching the weather forecast Tuesday night, I would not have been anywhere near a slot canyon on Wednesday. Even in the mountains up north, we had very heavy and continuous rain Tuesday night and part of Wednesday.

Those guides should have known better. I can't help but think they needed the money badly and went anyway.

Visitors and posters here on Fodor's ask and discuss the 4 Corners slot canyons all the time as if they were family friendly Disneyland rides. They are NOT.

Please use extreme caution always and don't take chances.
Old Sep 12th, 2008, 08:24 PM

Kathy Chapple worked in our school district and her loss will be immeasurable. When this was announced to parents gathered for Back To School Night last night, there was an audible gasp. Hearts go out to the family and all families of those lost.
Old Sep 12th, 2008, 08:37 PM

Very sad.

TvlMaven--I can only imagine. I realized this couple was good friends with my parents.