Search

Slide Rock - Sedona

Search this Thread

Old Jan 14th, 2001, 02:43 PM
ellen

Slide Rock - Sedona

Can anyone give me specifics on Slide Rock State Park? Is this something that would appeal to two teenagers? How long should we plan for a visit there? Is it possible to do a Pink Jeep Tour in the a.m. and Slide Rock in the p.m. without feeling too rushed? We prefer being on the go - and it's a must with teens, anyway. Thanks in advance for any and all info!

Old Jan 14th, 2001, 08:39 PM
Susan

You can absolutely do a Pink Jeep Tour in the am and Slide Rock in the pm. Teenagers would love both. We were there 3 years ago and my kids were 13 and 16. They still say it was the best trip they ever went on. Two days in Sedona is enough. One to do a Jeep tour/Slide Rock and other to explore on your own and do some shopping. Have fun!

Old Jan 15th, 2001, 06:05 AM
rob

slide rock SP is great.......plan between 2-3hours.we were there in December several years ago so swimming wasn't an option......we just went "rock hopping" upstream........took lots of great pictures.

Old Jan 15th, 2001, 06:17 AM
Jeanette

Slide Rock State Park is my favorite. Someday I hope to bring my grandchildren there. Your teenager will like it, I'm sure. Someone told me that swimming was curtailed in hot weather because of elk droppings (bacteria)- but I don't know how long that restriction was on. Friends have a condo in Sedona and they did swim there at the the end of summer '00. We always like to hike and find the vortex sites etc. Also see the church of Our Lady that is hanging off the cliffs. Regardless of what faith you are, so up and view this construction. Incredible! Kids will love the entire thing.

Old Jan 15th, 2001, 07:50 AM
ellen

Thank you all very much! At Slide Rock, do you use intertubes or floaties, or just slide down on your behinds. Also, is it smooth enough that we won't ruin our suits? Thanks again!

Old Jan 15th, 2001, 12:33 PM
TJ

Do a search here for mucho info.

Old Jan 15th, 2001, 01:00 PM
Britt

Make sure it will be warm enough when you are going. We went in March and it was way to cold to go. We were a little disappointed.

Old Jan 15th, 2001, 03:25 PM
ellen again

Great! But I'd still like to know *How* you go down the rock.....anyone remember? In a tube? Raft? etc. etc. Thanks, all.

Old Jan 15th, 2001, 03:36 PM
Al

No equipment needed. Just that with which you were born with. Plus a bathing suit.

Old Jan 15th, 2001, 03:43 PM
ellen

Thank you, Al

Old Jan 15th, 2001, 03:46 PM
ellen

OOPs - slip of the finger....

Thank you, Al!! Aren't you the resident expert on Sedona - and actually a volunteer there?? Or am I thinking of someone else.....

If it is you, can you suggest lodging that has charisma and charm -- but is in the moderate range? My research here has The Best Western of Sedona appearing often........do you agree? Thanks again, Al!

Old Jan 15th, 2001, 05:33 PM
joy

I stayed at the Southwest Inn at Sedona last year and loved it. It has rooms from $99 and a great web page to tell you all about it:
http://swinn.com/
and, no, this isn't an advertisement, just a place I really enjoyed and recommend!

Old Jan 16th, 2001, 04:43 AM
Al

Did you ask for your free copy of "Experience Sedona"? Just phone 1-800-288-7336 and the C of C will mail a copy of this 70-page booklet to you. Lists all sorts of places to stay, places to eat, things to do in Sedona and in Northern AZ.

Old Jan 16th, 2001, 06:04 AM
hamlet

Slide Rock appealed to me, and I'm more than a decade past my teens. It was April and it was warm, but not hot, there were enough people in the park that day but only me and one pre-teen boy went sliding. I just used a bathing suit, but it was one that could afford to take a beating. I would advise you to be careful while walking on the rocks, sometimes they are VERY VERY slippery and I fell once (but was able to brake my fall to bang up just my knee), and I did see others fall too. Also, the water is not the cleanest and I did find very tiny creepy crawlies all over my bathing suit.