SLC Bryce Canyon Zion Help needed!

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 15th, 2004, 05:46 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My brother and I are meeting in Salt Lake City on Oct 20 and plan to go to Bryce, Zion and whatever else fits in the short time we have. My plane leaves SLC at 6 AM on Oct 24. What do you suggest?
THANKS
Old Oct 15th, 2004, 07:16 PM

Hi, we did a trip to this area earlier this year. We had exactly the same time frame. This is what we did:

Day 1-- Drove to Bryce from SLC and arrived at around noon. Then we went to Rainbow Point, saw the Grand Staircase. The next stop was at Aqua Canyon to view hoodoos. We saw the sunset at Paria View. Stayed at the BC lodge and it was very nice.

Day 2--Went to Sunrise Point in time to view the sunrise. You can walk from the lodge. Next we hiked the Navajo Loop to Queen's Garden Trail. It was positively awesome. Next we ate lunch at the lodge because it was convenient. We went on to explore Mossy Cave and see Fairyland Canyon(gorgeous!). Today's sunset was viewed at Sunset Point.

Day 3--Having decided that Zion was too far we drove to Capitol Reef Park, We took #24, the Escalante Natrional Monument is quite impressive! At Capitol Reef, we drove around a bit, then did the Grand Wash hike. Next we took the park's scenic drive before heading to the Skyridge B&B. Would recommend this place--very clean and very nice owners. Dinner at Cafe Diablo was enjoyed by all.

Day 4 - Got up early and did the Capitol Gorge hike with a short side trip up to see "the tanks." Then we headed back to SLC, stayed the night and flew home the next day.

This was not a rushed or tiring experience. We saw so many new and interesting things. I am grateful to everyone on this board who helped me, as I was totally unfamiliar with the area. I hope I have helped you.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Old Oct 15th, 2004, 10:37 PM

I would keep an eye on the weather for Bryce. You could run into some snow...otherwise you could save 60 miles of driving off of Minnie's trip by driving down I-15 and taking Hwy 9 into Zion first, then go to Bryce, drive scenic Hwy 12 up to Torrey and Capitol Reef before heading back to SLC. This route will save you back tracking and an hour of driving time.

Route can be done in reverse too.

Utahtea
Old Oct 16th, 2004, 10:53 AM
Original Poster

Thanks so much for the quick responses. We're planning on driving to Zion first, as Utahtea suggests. Here's what I'm thinking... please let me know if you have any further advise. We'll stay overnight Wednesday at the Desert Pearl then spend Thursday hiking in Zion - I understand the Virgin River into the Narrows is recommended. We'll drive to Bryce Canyon in the evening and stay at Ruby's.

Thanks for the snow alert! Any suggestions if it snows???
I'd planned to follow the great itinerary for Bryce I found on this site and hit some of the places Minnie recommends (Navajo (Sunset Point Down the canyon)/Queens Garden (Sunrise Point up the canyon)- 3 mile loop in the morning (early), then Lunch, then 3 hour (1/2 day) mule ride at 1:00pm. Hopefully we can fit in the major rim overlooks (Fairyland, sunrise, sunset, Paria, Bryce, inspiration) before dark.

We'd spend another night at Ruby's and leave early for the scenic trip through 12 to Capitol Reef and Torrey making scenic stops for photos. We'd drive straight through to SLC arriving at about 11 PM.

Any further recommendations?

THANKS!!!!

Old Oct 16th, 2004, 12:00 PM

brosis,

Looks good! Take warm layers of clothes. It could be pretty chilly in Bryce because of the high elevation.

I don't know what to tell you if it snows. I've never been to the area this late in the season.

Utahtea
Old Oct 16th, 2004, 12:08 PM

I think your plan sounds great. The narrows is a awesome hike, just make sure to check the flash flood sign posted out front. I like near there and every now and then you hear of tourist getting caught in the flood. Great food in Springdale, switchback grill and the Bit-n-Spur and great. Bit n-spur has good atmosphere, ask to sit out on the small deck out back in the evening and at sunset you see the dear come down. Beautiful! Have fun.
Old Oct 16th, 2004, 03:26 PM

Having seen pictures of Bryce in the snow, I'd LOVE to see it then. Of all the parks in the American Southwest, that's the one I'd most want to see in the snow.
Old Oct 16th, 2004, 04:05 PM

Your trip sounds great. We were in Zion in early Sept. and did the Narrows hike--fabulous experience and quite tiring (though you don't notice that until afterwards). I have no idea how cold it might be then but you might want to rent dry suits/pants from Zion Adventure before heading out. We dressed in shorts on our hike and were sorry that we didn't take a fleece jacket. There is no sun in the river until midday (at least in early September).

Do NOT miss the Navajo and Queen's Garden trails in Bryce. Definitely the highlight of our 10 day tour. We loved taking that to Peekaboo and hooking up with that out to Bryce Point.

Have fun!
Old Oct 17th, 2004, 05:54 AM

Hi Bro & Sis,

You plan sounds good, although far too short!!! Get the latest weather reports and if it's snowing at Bryce, stay the second night at Zion. Icy trail conditions at Bryce might limit your hiking so enjoying the views might be the main activity.

Have fun!

Old Oct 17th, 2004, 06:37 AM
Original Poster

Thanks to all of you! Your great advice will make our short trip much more enjoyable. I'll let you know how it goes.