Search

Skytop Lodge Fall Getaway

Search this Thread

Old Aug 23rd, 2005, 05:57 PM
MLT
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Skytop Lodge Fall Getaway

I'm planning a fall weekend getaway in October, and came across Skytop Lodge in the Poconos. I've never been to the area and want to get some recent reviews from Fodorites, but the most recent comments are from 2003.

I will be going with my husband and 2-year-old son. We're from the DC area, and want a place that's a fairly easy drive (under 3 hours) from here. We'd like an upscale mountain resort that's kid-friendly and has really good food. We're interested in going around Halloween, as they have one of their themed weekends at that time which might be fun for our son.

I would welcome any comments on Skytop -- general impressions; which rooms are best; quality of food; best activities etc. I also would like to know if end of Oct is a good time to catch the fall foliage.

Thanks so much!
Old Aug 23rd, 2005, 06:48 PM

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts
Well, this proves that the search function on this forum does not always work as it should. (Note to editors!!!) Click on my name and a few threads down you will see a thread with the title Skytop Resort. It should answer some of your questions.
We have stayed in the cottages the last two years and have liked them. They would give you a little more space for a crib or cot. Plus the playground and sandbox are right outside the cottages. I think Skytop has running strollers for rent. There are some nice trails that are flat enough for strollers.
I would think that late Oct. would be late for the color in the Poconos since that is peak color for us down here in VA.
Old Aug 23rd, 2005, 07:14 PM
MLT
Original Poster

Thanks Birdie! Funny that your post didn't show-up when I did a search. Glad to hear that the food has improved -- this is an important factor for us.

Have you ever tried their spa services? I'd be interested in hearing about that too.

I'm also considering Homestead and Nemacolin, but Skytop seems more kid-friendly. Good to know your thoughts on Homestead vs. Skytop.
Old Aug 23rd, 2005, 07:39 PM

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts
I'm not a big spa girl but my daughter and I did have pedicures there last year. I wouldn't call the spa plush. It's up on the top floor so the views outside the windows are nice but the spa is fairly basic.
Skytop is definitely more toddler friendly than the Homestead. I can't comment on Nemacolin.
Old Aug 24th, 2005, 12:42 PM
MLT
Original Poster

Thanks again for your comments.

Any others out there?
Old Aug 24th, 2005, 12:48 PM

Since you asked for options. WV has some relatively nice state park lodging that, as Pennsylvanians, we think are much nicer than the Poconos.At least 1,Cacapon, has nearby Berkeley Springs for historic spa stuff. OK maybe not upscale but worth visiting. Canaan Valley is equally nice.
Old Sep 21st, 2006, 03:31 PM

I have been to both Skytop and the Homestead.
I prefer Skytop.
There are hikes in surrounding area and many small towns, shops etc. I loved the lawn bowling, ping pong and fireplace. There is no real croquet, a pity. They do have other activities such as shuffleboard. It's free and on cement so kids like it.
The Homestead was more golf oriented and is a larger resort. I like golf but there are some area golf courses which are near skytop and not very expensive.
I have not found a very good restaurant in the area. The food at both resorts was OK but not compared to the variety and good food you can find in NYC or DC.