Reload this Page >

Skycaps at US airports

Search

Skycaps at US airports

Search this Thread

Old Jul 1st, 1998, 07:28 PM
Michael G. Madison

Skycaps at US airports

Many travelers do not know that the people who work curbside at an airport, checking luggage or carrying luggage inside are skycaps, not airline employees. I have spoken to travel agents and even a few airline employees who are not aware of this fact.

The skycaps in Manchester NH(like ninety-five percent of skycaps in the US)receive $2.58 an hour to work outside and have NO BENEFITS. That means no medical insurance, no vacation time, no paid holidays and we do not fly for free, as many people believe. We work awful hours, 365 days a year, outside in the heat in the summer and the bitter cold in the winter, taking care of big heavy bags. In short; SKYCAPS WORK FOR TIPS. Unfortunately we are not allowed to post tip signs or even signs that say we are skycaps.

The use of a skycap is a personal choice. Nobody has to have a skycap take care of their luggage; they can carry their bags inside and stand in line at the ticket counter. Those people who want someone else to take care of their luggage for them will generally give us a dollar a bag for a tip. Sometimes people tip more, depending on the quality of the service provided and whether or not the skycap did anything extra for them. If the skycap gives poor service you can give them less and let them know why.

Besides checking luggage and saving people a long wait in line at the ticket counter, a skycap can help with extra problems, such as being late for a flight. A skycap can even save some people a lot of money. Most skycaps will be very reluctant to do so if some sort of compensation is not offered. Understanding this can be the difference between catching a flight or ending up in a mess. This is not taking advantage of people; it is simply someone performing an extra service for people who want extra service.

I like being able to help people with their problems and get a great deal of satisfaction out of knowing that I have helped them catch their flight, but the bottom line is that I, like everyone else, have bills to pay. Everyone who works for a living expects to get paid for the work they perform. I understand that many people just like myself are living by limited means (it is after all the nineties), but there is no reason for anyone to expect a skycap to work for him or her for free; some sort of compensation is expected. At this point I would like to express my gratitude to all those people who do tip. I look forward to helping you in the future.

P.S. Skycaps can check luggage for electronically ticketed passengers and we are happy to make change for people if all they have are large bills.

Old Jul 2nd, 1998, 07:54 AM
Dan

I did not know this, although I do always tip skycaps...

Old Jul 2nd, 1998, 09:18 AM
B.D.

Anyone who would use a skycap (or bellhop, or concierge) and not tip them is a jerk.

Come on, folks! Don't be so cheap! These guys are trying to make a living.

Old Jul 2nd, 1998, 01:15 PM
kam

I didn't know this either, although I've always followed the $1 per bag tipping policy. I can't believe there are people who don't tip----there are many times I would have missed my flight or had to check in an elderley relative or someone in a wheelchair. I feel really bad that there are people who don't tip you. Thanks for bringing this to everyone's attention!

Old Jul 2nd, 1998, 06:08 PM
Michael G. Madison

To Dan, B.D. and Kam, I thank you for your kind response. The truth is that half of the people we check luggage for think we are airline employees. Because of this, they think we are getting paid to work outside. This is really the fault of the airlines and the skycap companies. Years ago skycaps were airline employees and received hourly pay + benefits. They got tipped for working outside and as a way to make them work faster. The airlines figured out they could make millions by going with contract help and over the years the old skycaps were phased out. It is nice to know that there are people who care enough about us to take the time to respond.

Old Jul 3rd, 1998, 10:06 AM
Cheryl Z.

Hello Michael - Am glad you posted this as while I've known for years about this disgrace, most people don't. For the last 30 years since we've traveled so much (and often with dogs), and have always tipped well (ESPECIALLY when our dogs have been involved), most of the "old timers" at Sea Tac always recognize my husband and chat with him even if we're using another skycap, or not using one.
What really irks me about this is that in recent years, skycaps responsibilities have increased tenfold, including more responsibilities regarding SECURITY measures, but they certainly haven't been compensated for it! I think we all have arrived at the airport and had a skycap handle our needs (if we already had tickets/seat assignments) and never had to deal with an agent.
Hopefully, things will change in the future, but in the meantime, I'll use this forum to say THANKS for your efforts and a special thanks to all the ones at SeaTac!

Old Jul 3rd, 1998, 02:35 PM
Kitty

Good Heavens Michael! I did not know that this was the case!
I have used the skycaps on occasion and I always tip well ( I am a former waitress), but since the skycaps are stationed under specific airline signes on the drop-off curbs I thought that they were employed by the airlines!
The responsibility that skycaps take is tremendous! My hat is off to you and your co-workers! I will spread the word to my friends and my travel agent!

Old Jul 4th, 1998, 09:01 PM
Michael

Good heavens Kitty and Cheryl Z.! Thanks, I did not think I would get this many responses. Cheryl you're right about the increase in responsibilities. Just in case anyone misunderstood me, when I said "old skycaps" this was not a reference to age. It simply meant the skycaps that were around before the airlines started using contractors.

Old Jul 5th, 1998, 09:11 AM
kam

Dear Michael, Every skycap I've ever checked in with at SFO or San Jose (we use both and many different airlines) has been diligent and hardworking and most cheerful. If you want the totally opposite experience, try standing in line at SFO so you can be mistreated by an airline employee!! We've met some really nasty and very petty people behind the airlines counter---one who even insisted that my 18 year old son buy a full fare one way ticket back to DC because he had been ticketed incorrectly by the airline in the first place!! We recovered the money, but the kid was really scared, especially after the petty little man told him he was going to call Security because his ticket was in violation of FAA rules!! What a jerk--and he gets a good salary and benefits. I really think you should pursue this---write to some of the newspaper editors and the editors of all the travel mags. Does Fodor's include this info in their travel books?? They have a section about tipping in each book. I'm sure Europeans don't know this is the case! And, I've only flown once with a puppy but the skycaps in Phoenix were wonderful---stayed with him and then sent a message back to me via the flight attendant that he was on the plane. Thanks to all of you.

Old Jul 7th, 1998, 05:45 AM
Cindy

Michael-

Since we are from Manchester, it was interesting reading your message. Came across on my Frommer's Newsletter and I forwarded it on to everyone in my address book. I also happen to be a travel agent and try to let people know that if they use skycaps, they should tip them. Being in the travel industry can be one of the most trying, yet rewarding, careers there is! - outside of parenting teen-agers!

I'll be flying into Manchester next month for a short visit. Hope I'll see you there. I'm glad you posted this message and I hope it makes more people aware of the situation skycaps face.

Old Jul 7th, 1998, 05:53 AM
M. Wong

Thanks for the information. I have always tipped skycaps about $1-2.00 per bag. I can't believe there are people who do not tip, what lame idiots! They work hard and always save the weary traveler lots of time!! Thankyou.

Old Jul 8th, 1998, 01:59 PM
Michael

Cindy if I don't meet you let me say thank you for forwarding the Frommer's Newsletter and thanks to Pauline Frommer. Kam, your right about Europeans. I did send the e-mail out to every newspaper (that I could find an e-mail address for) in VT. , ME. , NH and northern Mass including Boston, with little luck. Out of 40 e-mails I had one response from an online publication called The Daily Maine (www.thedailyme.com). Editor Judy Craig was very kind and posted my letter. The lack of response from Vermont was the most troubling. We were very desperate to get something printed there. I sent about 10 e-mails to travel magazines like National Geographic Traveler and Conde Nast. Only Conde Nast replied and said they would consider my request. I sent it to TV stations that I could reach via e-mail. Channel 13 in Portland, ME. said they would consider it, but I do not know if they did anything. I had my best luck with travel sites. Lorry Patton did a real nice job of posting the letter at (www.lorrypatton.com). Nick Anis wrote a great piece called "Skycaps don't work for the airlines, they work for you" at (www.travel-watch.com). If any of the unanswered e-mails produced anything I do not know. Cindy is the only person who has said they have seen it someplace other than here. My posting of the letter here happened while I was trying to send it to the editors but could not get through via e-mail, so I put it in the forums.
To M. Wong, With the airlines reducing airfares there are many inexperienced travelers who are flying for the first time as well as the people who just don't care (like the rude US Airways agent from Boston, who stiffed me the other day). I would say about 60% of our customers tip here in Manchester. Unfortunately this is not enough to earn a decent living at a small airport. With the help of all you kind folks who have responded maybe we can change that. Thanks to you all!

Old Jul 9th, 1998, 11:50 AM
J. Rainey

I've only flown once in my adult life and I'm not very familiar with airports. We're flying west this summer and our plane changes in Kansas City (only 35 minutes 'til the next one leaves). I would like to cut down on the time it takes us to get the luggage and get on the next plane. Sounds like getting a skycap would help right? I know this is a really ignorant question, but how do you identify a skycap and where are they easily located? Sorry....I just don't know.

Old Jul 9th, 1998, 12:32 PM
ilisa

You won't need to claim your bags between connections. You can check your luggage at your point of origin all the way through to your destination. Don't worry about your luggage not arriving. While luggage does get lost, I've never, ever had a problem when making connections. Enjoy your flight!

Old Jul 9th, 1998, 04:58 PM
Kitty

Kam and Michael: I looked in all my Fodor's books and I could not find any reference to tipping in the book on "The South" (USA). Although, it is the 1993 version. Have they included it in more recent publications?
I did find references to tipping in the books about european countries ( Czech Republic,Germany, Austria and Great Britian-1995 publications). The sad thing is that skycaps are not included in any of these sections. I can't imagine that North America would be the only place with them....Do skycaps in other countries work the same way?
The AAA book has a section on tipping and they recommend: "$.50 to $1 per bag is appropriate for skycaps if the service is to the curb, more if the bag handling is farther."
I could not find a section on tipping in the AAA book for Europe.
It seems pretty sad that tiping is not addressed more consistantly.
And Kam, I'm so sorry to hear that your son was treated that way. I too have had a few unpleasant experiences with airline employees. But you know what? I have never had a bad experience with a skycap!
Kitty
Kitty

Old Jul 9th, 1998, 05:03 PM
Kitty

Are the people at Fodor's monitoring this string of messages????????
Lots of good info here!!!!!!!
Kitty

Old Jul 9th, 1998, 08:43 PM
joanne

We use skycaps at O'hare frequently , and most people know that you should tip at least $1.00 a bag. The skycaps are usually very friendly and helpful.

joanne

We use skycaps at O'hare frequently , and most people know that you should tip at least $1.00 a bag. The skycaps are usually very friendly and helpful.

joanne

joanne

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -