Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Terminal 3 at Chicago O'Hare-how far from L gates to K gates?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 21st, 2012, 07:01 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We recently received news that our short domestic flight on American Airlines taking us from Michigan to Chicago O'Hare where we will then fly to London has been changed to a half hour later. Now, rather than having an hour and a half in between we only have an hour. That extra half hour made me feel alot better - now I"m very nervous - if our original flight gets delayed at all, it could really throw a wrench in things. Hoping some of you can help me with the reality - even if harsh. I always prefer to make a plan B then have my head in the sand.

Our domestic flight will pull into one of the L Gates in terminal 3, and the London Flight leaves from one of the K gates in terminal 3. From the map it doesn't look bad, but maps can be deceiving. Any experienced O'Hare travelers out there who can offer input about what we can expect getting from K gates to L gates in terminal 3? Thanks!!
Old Feb 22nd, 2012, 04:33 AM

Yes, it is a hike and crowded but you can make it in less. It is an extreme hike if you come in at L10 or so and leave from K16.

Do not obsess about it though. If you are both coming in and going out on AA, they will make sure they get you there. If they know you are delayed by weather, they may already have made arrangements for you before you land. If you wish, particularly if you are not in the first bloom of youth, ask the AA person when you get off if you can take one of the electric carts.

I would not, however, stop to buy a magazine, use the toilet, grab a bite to eat, though, until I was checked in at the departure gate, though.
Old Feb 22nd, 2012, 08:59 AM

Yesterday, I walked from gate L8 to gate G20 (passing K along the way) in under 15 minutes.
Old Feb 22nd, 2012, 06:51 PM
Original Poster

Thank you - both these make me feel better. Your "yesterday" report, abram, was a big boost. Ackislander - I promise - no stopping along the way. I will only feel good once I'm at that departing gate. I know AA will get us to London one way or the other, but afraid getting us there might cost me a day of my already far too short trip. I don't think they have another flight out that night. Would they ever put us on another airline to get us there somewhat close to when we were supposed to be? Unfortunately, after I purchased the unrefundable tickets I read all kinds of bad reviews of American Airline service. That has contributed to my fear.

Alas, my sister and I are not in that first bloom of youth (shucks!) but still good on our feet. We can move through the mall together with no problem. We'll do the same at the airport.

By the way Akislander, off subject, but I wanted to thank you for coming to my defense on the Venice thread for the way I said "how do you say" in Italian or Spanish or whatever version of some romance language I said it in. I did not consult my phrase book before I wrote that - just reeled it off the top of my head. I had no idea anyone would get so caught up in linguistic correctness they would entirely miss the point of what I was suggesting, until I read your thread that is. I felt not quite so stupid after that and you understood why I made the suggestion - very kind of you.
Old Feb 23rd, 2012, 02:07 AM

You are quite welcome. I got over crippling language perfection when I lived in a big tourist area in Boston.

I am the kind of person that people ask for directions, so I talked to a lot of foreign and American tourists. I didn't care about their grammar, their tenses, their pronunciation, only that I could understand where they wanted to go and that they could understand my answer in English or fractured Spanish or French or Italian. Sometimes it was pointing to places on the map and indicating the number of blocks with fingers.

The toughest was helping two German ladies get to the street from the subway in a railroad station without myself having to leave and thus have to pay another fare. I am nice, but not that nice. I had some highly specialized and entirely useless German in grad school, but I did know the numbers for the number of stairs they would have to take, that street is "strasse", and that we were in the U-bahn. I think they got there.

It is about communication, isn't it?
Old Feb 28th, 2012, 05:07 PM
Original Poster

Ackislander - so sorry about my delayed response. How long my time between posts here has much to do with how busy I am at work, and I've been very busy lately! I loved your story - so glad you helped those German ladies. What fun you had doing it, and I'll bet you left a wonderful impression of American's with them. I loved your term "criplling language perfection" because if one wants to learn a new language and is determined to be perfect at it before spouting a word, they will indeed be crippled - downright paralyzed. Yes, it IS about the communication, and I wouldn't give up a single memory I have of trying! Thanks so much for sharing.