Ski trip-rent or bring skis

Old Nov 11th, 2006, 07:37 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ski trip-rent or bring skis

A friend and I are planning a ski trip and are debating whether to take our own skis or to rent when we get there. We'll be flying from Boston to Montrose, CO (for Telluride). We would prefer to take our own but are wondering the likelihood of skis getting damaged in transit. Any advice on soft-sided bags or hard-sided? Thanks.
Old Nov 11th, 2006, 08:26 AM

I'd rent when you get there. No worries about damaging your equiptment, no strugging with with the bags, and you can have fun renting some of the latest styles when you arrive.
Old Nov 11th, 2006, 12:23 PM

I always bring my own skies when I fly. I have a regular nylon ski carrier bag but I stuff it with all my ski clothes, socks, long underware, etc...around and in between my skis to protect them. I have never had a problem.

Old Nov 11th, 2006, 12:38 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the responses. It's about $40 per day to rent, which adds up after a week, so we're leaning toward taking our own simply to keep costs down. I had wondered about packing clothes around the skis in the soft-sided bags, but didn't know if the airlines search those and end up pulling all your "stuffing" out.

Old Nov 12th, 2006, 07:48 AM

We pack same as screen-name suggested -
I lay my skis on top of my fleece, pants, surround w/ socks, hats, gloves, boots, you name it - all the stuff I don't want in my suitcase -

Personally, I have never opened it and felt someone went through it or if they did, I couldn't tell.

My son packs like this when he goes betw Boston and Telluried and he has never had a problem or a missed item. .... that being said, no one can promise your bag won't be gone through , etc - but we've done this going out west to Oregon, Utah, Colorado, etc - a family of 4 and now the kid doing it solo and never had a problem
Old Nov 12th, 2006, 09:03 AM

Can anyone make a recommedation on a brand of soft-sided ski bag? I'd like to get my son one for Christmas. Thanks.
Old Nov 12th, 2006, 09:25 AM

I have a soft side ski bag I bought at Costco years ago. I've taken my skis on planes plenty of times and never had a problem. For the price it cost to rent, and the time spent doing it, and the desire to wear my own boots, I'd definitely bring them with me.
Old Nov 12th, 2006, 12:15 PM

seetheworld: we have the REI evaporator bags and an LLBean one also - you can get for 1 or 2 pair of skiis; sometimes the one for 2 is nice if they like to jam their other gear in it. if you don't have a store near you they have an online site. I'm sure there are plenty others -
Old Nov 12th, 2006, 01:02 PM

We have always brought our skis and have never had a problem.

However, should you decide to rent your skis, if you have a pair of boots you really like I would recommend bringing them with you. Skiing in boots that don't fit your feet well is miserable!
Old Nov 12th, 2006, 03:31 PM

Thanks, escargot!
Old Nov 12th, 2006, 04:21 PM

High Sierra makes some good, affordable ski luggage.
Old Nov 12th, 2006, 04:35 PM

It would depend...what kind of skis can you rent in Telluride and how much are they charging? For example, if you're thinking about buying new skis or even going to a different length, you could try some higher-end rentals. Also, is the $40 a day price for everything? When I traveled to ski, I preferred to bring my own boots but rent the skis themselves (I had a hard time getting boots to fit just right and I worked part time in a ski shop, so got really good ones at an 80% discount).
Old Nov 13th, 2006, 05:24 AM
Original Poster

After everyone's advice, I'm thinking I'll take my own and look into a soft-sided bag. (I'm trying to keep costs down since I'm leaving the husband and kids behind for this trip and have some self-induced guilt ) Now another question for those who travel with skis...are the "wheelie" bags worth it?
Old Nov 13th, 2006, 06:02 AM

imho the "wheelie" bags are the best choice for anything at the airport. also tsa seems to be stepping up the program. it seems hand searching is going away except for carryon. everything goes through machines now. and i think most airports are allowing you to have your checked items wrapped in saran wrap before you check them for added security. they still could go in if something upset them but less chance for the errant handler to get at your stuff.
telluride is steep you are gonna love it.
Old Nov 13th, 2006, 06:24 AM

I think the wheelie bag decision is a personal one - depends on how you are going to use the bag after this and how much other luggage you will have, etc.

I like no wheels, but that is b/c I also use my bag on other trips and for me sometimes the wheels get in the way packing up the car or on other transport, putting them on the roof rack in the bag sometimes, folding them up small after for storage, etc. - I have found sometimes the wheelies are great for in an airport, but difficult if I am then carrying them over streets or other terrain and so I just use the shoulder strap route - but again, this is up to you and other issues - your additional luggage, your back perhaps, etc.