Ski group: Angel Fire or Red River or ?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 13th, 2005, 07:10 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm taking a group of 18-25 year olds from my church on a ski trip sometime this coming ski season. Last year we went to Colorado, but the drive was just too long for many in the group (and we have to keep cost down so cannot fly). We live in Houston, so I was thinking of New Mexico. Can anyone tell me which resort would have the most activities, especially off the mountain, for a group this age. The main things I'm looking for are shopping, ice skating, sleigh rides... basically, they loved exploring the town of Breckenridge and were extremely bored with the village in Keystone. I know that most of the resorts in Colorado are larger, but I was hoping to strike a happy medium. All of the people going are very inexperienced skiers and generally only spend about two days on the mountain.

Thanks for your help!
Old Oct 13th, 2005, 07:43 AM

You might think about Albuerquerque ..it has Sandia ski area which is small, but there's so much to do in town.
Sante Fe has 2 ski areas ..one is a state park, and a little pricier.
Between the two you mentioned. I liked Angel Fire the best, but it is several hours drive from Sante Fe
Old Oct 13th, 2005, 08:24 AM

I'd say Santa Fe. When I was a high school student living in Houston,our church youth group took a trip there for a long weekend,and I'll never forget it.I even ended up moving there later in my life.
Old Oct 13th, 2005, 08:28 AM

Sante Fe
Old Oct 13th, 2005, 09:37 AM
Original Poster

Wow! Great advice. Sounds like everyone is in agreement. I've actually been to Santa Fe several times, but never in winter.

Thanks for the input!
Old Oct 15th, 2005, 07:49 AM

Santa Fe is fabulous. Lots of Baton Rouge families with older kids go to Red River each Mardi Gras vacation since our schools are closed for that week. This year it will be at the end of February. They put on quite a carnival celebration from what I've been told- beads and all. This year should be extra special! You better check now - they reserved for the coming year when they left last year.
Old Oct 15th, 2005, 09:28 AM

Angel Fire and Red River have nothing to do after the sun goes down. Limited dining, shopping etc. Also the skiing is not very challenging there--more for kids. I would try Santa Fe. Sandia is also not challenging for most adults and does not always have snow.