Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Six Flags Great America - Gurnee, Ill......how is it?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 16th, 2001, 03:02 PM
ann

My son enjoys good quality theme parks. How does this one compare? Is it well kept up??

Old Jul 16th, 2001, 04:19 PM
ann

Six Flags is kept up and is nice. We go at least once a year, with the 600 minutes tickets the kids get from school. I have been going here since it first opened and have never had any problems. I haven't been yet this year, but I believe two new coasters opened. It is easily done in a day and you can get a "twicket" if you want to go back for more fun the next day. I have only been to Disneyland and WDW to compare it, but the kids have fun when they go, and it isn't too big to do in a day.

Old Jul 16th, 2001, 04:22 PM
Mary

Gurnee Six Flags is a nice park. Best days to go is on a cloudy day, my Son just went and he said some of the better rides had long lines. Enjoy!!

Old Jul 31st, 2001, 09:20 PM
jane

Just went to Great America. It is a very well-kept theme park, but extremely crowded. Actually, we go each year, and it was busier than usual because of the addition of two brand new roller coasters.

The new Vertical Velocity ride (V2) was amazing. I'm 42 years old and loved every minute of it! Unfortunately, the other new coaster (Deja Vu)hasn't opened yet, although it's been hyped on all the tv and radio stations. That was disappointing. But we'll try again at the end of the summer! You MUST ride the Giant Drop and Raging Bull if you love coasters and rides. Many entertaining things to see for younger children, too.

P.S. Purchase your tickets at a local Dominick's Food Store for a discounted ticket, and avoid the long lines at the gate! I believe there's even a Dominick's in the town of Gurnee, not far from the park!

Old Jul 31st, 2001, 09:40 PM
kam

Son, who lives in Milwaukee, will take his son this week. He says it's a nice day out but is extremely expensive.

Old Aug 1st, 2001, 03:39 AM
Dan

It's an above average, but not quite top tier theme park. I wouldn't even bother going on weekends, too crowded. As one poster stated the vertival velocity ride is amazing. It also has a rare standup coaster.