Search

Six Days in Oahu

Search this Thread

Old Sep 21st, 2005, 07:21 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Six Days in Oahu

Yes, I know, its an oft asked question on this forum, but I am wondering if our choice of Oahu in January is a good one.

I thought I was doing great until I called a friend who has been to Hawaii numerous times for her opinion, and she told me that Maui is the way to go. However, one of our big reasons to go to Hawaii is to visit Pearl Harbor, and inter-island hopping seems to be out of budget, based on my review of the HI airlines websites.

So here's the question- is there enough to keep us busy on Oahu for six days (not counting travel days)? We are not the lounge about the pool sort, and like museums and historical sites, shopping, and your normal touristy stuff.

Again, your opinions on Oahu as a first time trip are appreciated. Can Maui wait for trip #2?

Finally, where can the best luau on Oahu be found? What about whalewatching?

Thanks as always!!

Old Sep 21st, 2005, 07:49 PM

I think Oahu is always the best choice.

Here is a thread that will give you a lot of info on Oahu:

http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...1&tid=34652188

Here is a site that lists some whale watching tours. Also has a section where you can watch whales from shore:

http://www.activity-hawaii-travel-gu...ng-hawaii.html

Here is a site that has a lot of Oahu info:

http://www.budgettravelonline.com/bt...081901179.html
For a free seven page Oahu guide, in the orange block, click on: "Download the Snap Guide"

Here is a site to download a circle island driving tour.
http://www.discoveringhawaii.com/
In the middle of the page, click on: Oahu Circle Isl Drive5.pdf

For lots of Oahu (and other island) maps:
www.driveguidemagazines.com

Old Sep 21st, 2005, 10:20 PM

Six days too much in Oahu?? You're jokling!
There's Honolulu:i a great, cosmopolitan, international , fascinating historical city. And that's just one place on Oahu!
You love hisotry? Bishop Museum,(main branch and at Hilton) Iolani Palace, Mission Houses Museum, the Maritime Museum (INcxt to Aloha Tower) Arizona Memorial,the USS Missouri, etc etc etc.
Like your friend, I've been very blessed and fortunate to visit Hawaii numerous times.
But, just to show what different opinons foks have, NO WAY would i make a visit to Maui my first trip to Hawaii.
Old Sep 21st, 2005, 11:22 PM

Totally agree with you Calinurse! 6 days is not even enough for me if I went to Oahu again!
Old Sep 22nd, 2005, 03:13 AM

Last time we went to Oahu, we went for 8 nights, and definitely did not get to see everything! It is a fabulous, beautiful, diverse island. There is SO much to do there, you won't regret it!
Old Sep 22nd, 2005, 03:27 AM

I took 2 days off my Oahu visit for an inter island trip to Maui. Big mistake for me. I was disappointed with Maui after 5 days in Oahu. Rent a jeep and travel the whole island. The terrain is different all sides. I will go back to spend more time at various beaches and Honolulu. Stayed 1 block off Waikiki and never got a chance to step foot on the beach.
Old Sep 22nd, 2005, 05:50 AM
bonniebroad

Oahu is fabulous! I've been there several times, and haven't begun to see/do everything. You will have a fabulous time ....

Old Sep 22nd, 2005, 07:00 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
My last trip to Hawaii was Honolulu for 8 days. Perfection! Could have stayed much longer easily. Especially since you mention museums and historical sites, you can't beat Oahu!

Honolulu Academy of the Arts with the tour of Doris Duke's ShangriLa, Mission Houses, Bishop Museum, Iolani Palace, Chinatown, etc.

Loads of shopping opportunities in the heart of Waikiki.

IMO Maui can wait for a second trip. And personally I'd save the luau for that island and go to either Old Lahaina Luau or Feast of Lele.
Old Sep 22nd, 2005, 07:10 AM

I lived on Kauai for 6 years but Oahu is my favorite island. (I have visited Oahu over 50 times!)
Old Sep 22nd, 2005, 07:22 AM

Your choice of Oahu is a great one. Is there enough to keep you busy for six days? There's enough to keep you busy for a lifetime .

Go to: Why I Love Oahu Too, and see.
http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...1&tid=34515901

Old Sep 22nd, 2005, 09:08 AM

Oahu sounds perfect for you. I haven't been to Maui but I've been to Oahu 5 times and I will be going back in Nov. Last trip there we brought 2 teenagers for a 12 night stay. They were never bored. I was concerned they would be on such a long vacation. We could have stayed longer. There is so much to do on Oahu and it is sooooo beautiful! Pearl Harbor was very meaningful for me as well. I was glad I had a chance to go and pay my respects.
IMO- 6 days wont be long enough!
Have a great time! I know you will.
Old Sep 22nd, 2005, 09:29 AM

I think you got your answer as to whether Oahu has enough for you. I've lived here all my life and I'm not the "lounge at the beach" type, and am never bored here.

As for the best luau......depends what you are looking for. Best food? Most authentic show? The 3 most famous luaus--Paradise Cove, Germaine's, and PCC--are waaaaaay out in the boonies, about a 40-60 minute drive outside of Waikiki. They are all adjusted for tourists. That being said, I like Paradise Cove Luau, especially if O'Brien Eselu or Summer is hosting that night.
Old Sep 22nd, 2005, 03:06 PM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone, hope to be booking our trip to Oahu very soon!
Old Sep 22nd, 2005, 04:59 PM

Your adventure to Hawaii has to start somewhere.....Oahu is a great choice. Lots of history, and island living.

You will have a wonderful time.

(one of my favorites - Bishop musuem.)
Old Sep 22nd, 2005, 10:21 PM

The answer to your question depends in large part on where you were born and raised.

Certainly, if you are a Nebraskan or Iowan, the prospect of visiting the first, and at one time the largest, Chinese settlement in the United States would be very different and unusual for you.

Suffice to say that Chinatown Honolulu is one of the most exotic neighborhoods in Hawaii. To view your options, go to
http://www.chinatownhi.com/gwt.asp
Old Sep 23rd, 2005, 01:52 PM

Six days isn't even enough. Get some travel books..Fodors or Frommers or Lonely Planet and they will give you lots of ideas. Rent a car and explore. Get to Pearl Harbor very early or you will waste time in line. Just went last week for the 10th time to Pearl Harbor..got there at 6:30 and had done it all and headed out by 10 am. Headed up to the North Shore and had a nice day up there after Pearl Harbor. OR...you can do the US Missouri. I have been to every island...but still keep going back to Oahu. It has the best of both worlds and you can find lots of neat beaches to watch surfers,etc. AND...the shopping doesn't get much better than Oahu. Jan. will be big waves on the North Shore...you will enjoy seeing that.
Old Sep 23rd, 2005, 02:08 PM

One more thing. If you like outdoors activities...check out www.bikehawaii.com. They have some great packages. Just did the bike/hike and really enjoyed it. They also have a sail trip that sounds great. There are lots of whale watching tours you can find when you get down there.