Reload this Page >

Singing diner in NYC?

Search

Singing diner in NYC?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 22nd, 2002, 05:54 PM
awatt

Singing diner in NYC?

I vaguely remember reading about a restaurant or diner in New York which is casual and the waiters/waitresses sing, Does anyone know the place. Thought it would be fun for the kids

Old Oct 22nd, 2002, 05:58 PM
aj

Ellen's Stardust Diner
51st St. and Broadway

Very kid friendly.

Old Oct 22nd, 2002, 10:51 PM
tweedy

AJ,

I walked by there the other day and it is gone...., looks like there is a new building going up. It's a shame it was a fun restaurant.

The only other place I can think of is Cafe Taci, at 110th and Broadway. The performers are all students at the Manhattan School of Music and they will be stars someday. Good music and good food.

Old Oct 23rd, 2002, 05:31 AM
lisa

Another choice might be Mangia et Bevi on 9th Ave in the 50's. I've really never seen kids there -- it's more a bachelorette party kind of place -- but they turn up the music, hand out tambourines and people get up on their chairs and dance. Maybe if you went early?

Another idea is Jekyll & Hyde's. It's a Halloween-type theme and perfect for kids.

Old Oct 23rd, 2002, 06:25 AM
al

Wait just a doggone minute here -- I walked by the Stardust Diner on Monday and it was going strong.

Understand that the only thing they seem to sing in there (at least when I'm walking by) is something from American Graffiti, Saturday Night Fever or Grease. I don't think you'll be getting any Placido Domingo in there.

I'll make a point of walking by there tonight and if it's still there I'll report in tomorrow -- unless Fodors deletes this post.

Old Oct 23rd, 2002, 07:32 AM
rqf

Ellen's Stardust Diner is still operating. I drove by less than 1 hour ago. THe construction is on the next block.

Old Oct 23rd, 2002, 08:57 AM
suzanne

It's still open as far as I know. I've been there twice and have a warning: the food SUCKS. But I guess if you're going for the experience it doesn't really matter. However, both times I was there (once in AM, once around 6:30 PM) no one was singing.

Old Oct 24th, 2002, 06:00 AM
al

Yeah it's open, but listen to Suzanne.

Old Nov 12th, 2002, 05:28 AM
kim

Old Nov 12th, 2002, 06:44 AM
Judy

Ate there for lunch on Sunday. It was fantastic. Really enjoyed the fun and casual atmosphere. Had a delicious cobb salad - very large portion. Their fries are great. The waiters and waitresses were singing. It was great fun and made the wait go by alot faster. Yes they did sing songs from Grease but also other musicals. One waiter was introduced as performing in the upcoming production of Man A La Mancha - fabulous voice.

It is not just a place for kids, although certainly perfect for families. A girl was celebrating her Birthday and being sung to be the talented waiters/waitresses must have been really special for her. An older couple behind us in line told me they come because the food is great and reasonably priced.