Sightseeing Nov 10 before SF GTG

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 31st, 2007, 12:24 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am getting excited about the upcoming SF GTG. Can't believe so many are coming. We will definitely need name tags

Since I will be there from out of town and not working on Sat, I will have a rare chance to do some sightseeing. Have been thinking about several of the museums but am open to anything depending on the weather. Also was wondering if any No Cal Fodorites attending the dinner will be coming into town earlier that day and would like to do something. I will have my car if it's needed. I have seen the main tourist sights at one time or another so am looking for something different.

So any ideas are welcome and if anyone wants to join me, let me know.
Old Oct 31st, 2007, 12:35 PM

Let me toss some random ideas.

On 11/10 we'll have a free museum day

Sat 11/10/2007
11:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m.
fee/admission: Free

Twelve cultural institutions, located within 3 blocks, are open for free. Participating Institutions are California Academy of Sciences, California Historical Society, Cartoon Art Museum, Contemporary Jewish Museum, GLBT Historical Society, Museum of the African Diaspora, Museum of Craft and Folk Art, SF Camerawork, SFMOMA, the Society of California Pioneers, Yerba Buena Center for the Arts and Zeum.
Old Oct 31st, 2007, 12:36 PM

Swearing festival, not my cup of tea, but maybe some people find it attractive?

Sat 11/10/2007
3:00 p.m
fee/admission: $5-$12

Edinburgh Castle Pub
950 Geary St.
San Francisco, CA 94115
(415) 885-4074
(Civic Center)

Featuring discussions, readings, live music and more on the topic of swearing.
Old Oct 31st, 2007, 12:40 PM

Japanese garment exhibit:

Through 1/6/2008
Daily
fee/admission:
$10 for adults, $7 for seniors, $6 for youths 12–17

Asian Art Museum
200 Larkin St.
San Francisco, CA
(415) 581-3500
(415) 581-4700
(Civic Center/Hayes Valley)

Contemporary garments from the Kyoto Costume Institute along with large-scale photographs by Hiroshi Sugimoto.
Old Oct 31st, 2007, 01:38 PM

Paula:

artlover and I are going to be doing something on Sunday. If it doesn't rain, we'll probably go for a small hike. Place not yet decided.

Wanna join us?

Saturday I have to pick artlover up at the airport at 2pm. We'll probably do something just before the GTG, but it may be too late for an extended activity day.

Do you have my phone number? Do I have your phone number?

Let's natter together and come up with something!
Old Oct 31st, 2007, 06:16 PM
Original Poster

Faina-Let me get this right. They have a festival about swearing! Wow-who would have thought. Don't think it's my cup of tea either.

ET-I would love to hike with you guys but am flying back very early Sunday morning. I will e-mail you my cell phone number. I don't think I have yours. If you and artlover decide to do something before our dinner just call me and I can meet up with you.

Faina-Are you interested in going to any of the museums? The Metreon is having the Da Vinci exhibit however tickets are $19.50.
Old Nov 1st, 2007, 05:41 AM

Another suggestion if anyone is interested...

Aside from joining you all at the GTG I will be in town for the Green Festival, which seems lots of fun.
It's an organics, environmental, and sustainability "party with a purpose." For more info, go to www.greenfestivals.org.
Admission is only $15, payable at the door.

Ideally I would like to get out to wine country for a day (Healdsburg or Santa Rosa, where the Charles Schultz museum is - I'm sort of a Peanuts "nut").

Other than that I am open to suggestions and meeting up with you all prior to the GTG.

Old Nov 1st, 2007, 08:06 AM

Paula, I don't know. Here is from SFgate

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/articl.../DDI2REHAM.DTL

You can say this much for "Da Vinci - An Exhibition of Genius," the dreary new overpriced commercial venture at Metreon: The organizers make a full disclosure as soon as you come through the door.

Walk down the first ramp, and there, on the main opening text panel, is an acknowledgment that nothing in the show comes from the hand of the artist in question.

Everything is either a modern copy or reproduction, a wooden model based on one of the master's drawings or a flat-screen TV video.

Old Nov 1st, 2007, 09:05 AM

Paula: I've wanted to see the Da Vinci exhibit ever since it opened. Shall we do that Saturday afternoon before the GTG?

tonianyc: I'll have to see what artlover is in the mood for. If she's amenable, we could go up to Healdsburg - do a bit of winetasting in the downtown area, see the museum, visit the airport - sounds like a plan already in the making!
Old Nov 1st, 2007, 09:53 AM
Original Poster

ET-Well after reading Faina's review I am not sure I want to spend $20 to see paintings etc that are reproductions. Maybe we should do something else.

Why don't you see what artlover says and then we can go from there.

Tonianyc-When are you attending your Green Festival? We could do something that morning or just hook up with ET and artlover once they get into town.

I will also be having dinner alone on Friday night if anyone is interested in meeting me.

ET-I will email you my cell number now and then I am running out the door to go to LA. Ugh!
Old Nov 1st, 2007, 10:13 AM

Paula, do you like chocolate? Scharffen Berger has free tours with a lecture on history and free tasting. Their Cafe Cocoa is yummyyyy

(just a thought!)

Sorry can't commit yet.
Old Nov 1st, 2007, 01:21 PM

There is a wonderful show at SFMOMA called "Take Your Time" by Olafur Eliasson. He uses natural materials such as light, air, water, color, mist, and moss in extraordinary ways to create immersive experiences. Eliasson relies on your participation to co-produce the pieces. Have you ever touched a rainbow? Or walked inside a kaleidoscope? The show is a lot of fun and is also thought provoking.

There are free docent led tours at 1:30 p.m. The tour is only available to the first 20 people, so it is best to be in the atrium ahead of time to let the docent know you want to be included.

Admission to the museum is $12.00 and allows access all 5 floors. There is a great gift shop, and the cafe has very good food in an informal atmosphere.
Old Nov 5th, 2007, 09:05 AM

Hi Paul1470 and easytraveler,

I'll be at the Green Festival sporadically throughout the weekend, I'm pretty flexible between the time I spend there and any day trip out to wine country.

Is there a way to privately email our contact numbers to each other? I'm arriving Friday monring in SF.

Tonianyc
Old Nov 5th, 2007, 01:19 PM
Original Poster

tonianyc-You can e-mail me at [email protected] and we can exchange cell phone numbers if you like.

Where are you staying? I will be in the Union Square area.

All these ideas sound so good. It's hard to decide. Looks like a few showers on Saturday so might be a good inside day.
Old Nov 5th, 2007, 07:34 PM

Sorry I'm late in jumping in here, but I'm still recuperating from the Seattle GTG

Am really grateful that ET knows my time of arrival since I can't find my printout

oh boy...

Really, I'm open for anything that the majority decides upon. I'll even pack light as a Fodorite is supposed to do and carry my bag on the plane so we won't have to waste time waiting for it. But even then, we're talking about 2:30-3 by then, so maybe those of you who are free the entire day should just go ahead and we'll meet up with you at the GTG.

And ET, I thought we were going on a LONG hike? According to weather.com it's going to be 60 and sunny. Actually, Angel Island sounds good, but we can talk about it at the GTG.

I'm excited too. Two GTGs in one month! Will I survive it all!
Old Nov 5th, 2007, 08:42 PM
Original Poster

artlover-I will probably do some things in the morning, early afternoon but figured that if you and ET were heading into the city from the airport, I could meet up with you guys. There will still be a couple of hours before the GTG so even if we just walk around North Beach that would be fine. Don't know if ET has anything in mind that can be done in that time period. I know that when Melissa was here from Hawaii she went shopping in Noe Valley which would also be fun and not too far from the airport. ET has my cell phone number so you guys can just call me.
Old Nov 5th, 2007, 09:59 PM

Sounds like fun. How can it not be with two Paulas!
Old Nov 6th, 2007, 08:18 AM

"Two GTGs in one month! Will I survive it all!" - don't you worry, we'll take good care of you!

>
Old Nov 7th, 2007, 08:52 AM
Original Poster

ToniaNYC-You are probably already on your way to SF but if you get a chance, e-mail me and I can e-mail you back with my cell phone. [email protected]

ET-I think you might be traveling but I sent you my cell phone. If you want e-mail me back with yours. Then you can call me after you pick up artlover.
Old Nov 8th, 2007, 06:46 AM

With sadness, I won't be making it up to SF this weekend, so please take me off the attendee list. I was really looking forward to meeting you all. Hopefully, another time. Enjoy your GTG and SF!!!