Should we rent a car in St. Pete?

Old Feb 19th, 2002, 12:03 PM
Jamie

Should we rent a car in St. Pete?

My husband and Iare going to St. Pete Beach and I was trying to find out if we should rent a car or not (it is only the 2 of us). Cost is always a concern but there is a special on the budget website were we could rent a pick up truck for about $135.00/5 days. It will already cost us $70.00 for the limo to and from the airport. I know there is a trolley in St. Pete know and also one in Clearwater. The one in St. Pete goes to Sand Key and the one in Clearwater starts there. For a day trip to Clearwater would they trolley work best or would it be easier to drive? My husband and I have not been in the area before and were concerned about parking during the day. Also, how about that place that used to be an island Caladesi park or something like that. Someone was saying you can get their by walking. Where would we go to do this or is it better to just take the ferry? Does the trolley go to where the ferry leaves from?
We want to do the right thing and if renting a car is better we would rather do that since we are spending a lot of money anyway.

Old Feb 19th, 2002, 12:08 PM
donald

As a resident, I know you'll need a car. There is a bus, but does not offer wide service. The limo from TIA is not great. Parking is not that much of a problem. Get the car at TIA and drive over to SPB, about 30 mins. We're going to have a great spring.

Old Feb 19th, 2002, 12:20 PM
susan

You'll definitely need a car, especially if you plan on going to Sand Key and Clearwater Beach. Sand Key is over 30 miles from St. Pete and frankly I'm surprised to hear there's a trolley line between the two towns. The trolley between Sand Key and Clearwater Beach goes so slowly you could probably walk beside it and get there as fast.

Old Feb 19th, 2002, 12:30 PM
Sarah

Hi, yes definetly get a car - we spent a week there last September & we enjoyed having a car to see the surrounding areas - have fun !

Old Feb 19th, 2002, 04:54 PM
Mary

Another local opinion -- rent the car. You should be able to get a good price picking the car up at TIA (no need then for the limo). The Beach Trolley runs from 7 in the morning till 10 at night. Do a little more research. There is so much to do here in Pinellas county. Check out www.flausa.com.

Old Feb 20th, 2002, 03:24 AM
joan

One more resident's opinion: The new trolley system is cool, they have a north/south trolley going all the way to Clearwater, and a connecting east/west trolley (intersects at Treasure island causeway and goes all the way to the pier in St. Pete). That said, I'd still rent a car - through either Priceline or Hotwire. Last year I rented a luxury 4 door sedan through Priceline for $19/day.

P.S. You didn't say where you're staying, but I'm sure the bigger hotels have (complimentary?) shuttles to and from the airport. The limo can be a real pain, seems you are always last to be picked up out at the beach, and last to be dropped off!