Should we book this hotel? - Boston Omni Parker Hotel recommendations

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 26th, 2011, 05:51 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi, we are considering the Boston Omni Parker Hotel for 4 nights at the end of May 2011. If anyone has stayed here and can recommend (or not) this hotel I would be very interested to read your comments. Naturally I am more than happy to have other hotels recommended.

We have a budget of approx $200 per night.
Old Jan 26th, 2011, 06:54 PM
yk

Hi cathies,

I haven't heard anything bad about the Parker House; I assume you've checked reviews on Tripadvisor? Location-wise, it is great as it's right in the smack of old Boston. It's very convenient for sightseeing as you can walk to most sites.

Since your date is end of May, I'd book it ASAP if the rate is right. May is commencement month in Boston and tens of thousands of parents/relatives/friends descend on Boston to attend graduations in the dozen-and-more schools in May, though most schools' graduations are in mid-May. BTW, end of May is our Memorial Day weekend holiday too.

FWIW, Parker House is famous for scrod, Boston Cream Pie, and its Parker House rolls. Their clam chowder is pretty good too. http://www.omnihotels.com/findahotel...se/dining.aspx
Old Jan 26th, 2011, 06:59 PM
Original Poster

Hi yk, what is scrod?? I'm Australian and it's not something I've heard of before.

Thanks for the tip about Memorial Day Weekend holiday. We will book soon.
Old Jan 26th, 2011, 07:06 PM
yk

cathies, scrod is a young cod or young haddock.
Old Jan 26th, 2011, 07:13 PM
Original Poster

oh, thanks. I love fish, so I'll be sure to try it.
Old Jan 27th, 2011, 02:27 AM

I've stayed there.

It is the oldest hotel in the United States, though the present building only dates back to the WWI-1920's era.

It is an old-fashioned, traditional hotel, somewhat British in feel.

The rooms can be quite small by US standards but in line with a London or Paris hotel.

The location is absolutely terrific: easy walking distance to Faneuil Hall, the waterfront, North End, Beacon Hill and other historic sites (King's Chapel is across the street and you can see the Old Granary Burying Ground from the side door),and Boston Common and the Public Garden.

The Blue Line MBTA subway to the airport is a block away in one direction, the Rrd Line (Cambridge, MIT, Harvard, and Somerville, where Davis Square is a hip area) is a couple of blocks away in the other direction, and the Green Line (museums, best shopping, concerts, baseball) is available in both stations.

The breakfast buffet is among the nicest I have eaten, and it is served in a lovely paneled room. The restaurant is very traditional as well, as yk suggests above.

I would stay there again without hesitation, though it obviously would not suit everyone.
Old Jan 27th, 2011, 09:07 AM

I took my kids and we stayed at the Omni Parker House while hubby was at a conference and we loved it. The character of the hotel and the convenience of walking to see sites made it a perfect place for us, outweighing the slight inconvenience of squeezing us all into a smaller room. We enjoyed the hotel restaurant as well.
Old Jan 27th, 2011, 09:35 AM

WE stayed there several years ago. It was a good location and nice hotel.

Rooms are small like others say.

If I go again I would check other possibilities.
Old Jan 27th, 2011, 11:00 PM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone, I'm really grateful for the responses. We don't mind the rooms being small as we are a group of 4 women and are going to book 4 rooms.
Old Jan 28th, 2011, 05:49 AM

Would recommend eating elsewhere, as I've had lousy food and poor service when I've gone. The Boston Cream Pie is okay, though.
Old Jan 28th, 2011, 11:59 AM
Original Poster

Thanks bachslunch, we aren't big fans of hotel restaurants so probably won't eat there. I think I better try Boston Cream Pie though!
Old Jan 29th, 2011, 02:38 PM

PS Boston Cream Pie is *not* pie. it is cake!
Old Jan 29th, 2011, 03:38 PM
Original Poster

Oh, thanks for clarifying that! I would have been expecting a pie. So perhaps a coffee and a slice of Boston Cream Pie one afternoon is on the agenda!
Old Jan 29th, 2011, 05:48 PM

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post
For work, I had to visit several area hotels and survey them for wired and wireless connections for our visiting attorneys who may be staying there. Omni Parker House was one. Maybe I was shown the larger rooms but they definitely were not "small", at least not when compared to some of the rooms I've stayed at in Europe. I was surprised by how nice the hotel actually was, as I'd never been in it before. It is an old building but not by any means run down. I thought it had great character of long ago Boston. I am impressed enough to send my parents there on a getaway weekend. And the concierge and hotel manager were exceptionally helpful, btw.
Old Feb 19th, 2011, 01:02 PM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone for the feedback. We've booked the Omni Parker House Hotel and can't wait for the trip to start. Whataboutit, the room sizes are published on the site so we have booked the slightly larger rooms, thanks for the tip about the small rooms.

I'll post another question about restaurants sometime soon.