Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Should the water in hot tubs be changed after each guest?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 18th, 2006, 07:57 AM
cd
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We have rented a cabin in the woods for a weekend in October. It has an outdoor hot tub. I asked the owner if the water was changed after each guest and he said no, every 90 days and this is what is required by the manufactor. He told me that he cleans it after each guest and tests the water adding Bromine which disinfects it. He gave me the number of the manufactor. I called and that is what they recommend but said they did not know what our state would recommend since it is a public rental. I've looked under Ohio regulations for hot tubs on the internet but can't find anything. Any other suggestions or knowledge out there? Thanks.
Old Sep 18th, 2006, 08:11 AM

This is a pet peeve of mine. We have rented a number of ski cabins in Tahoe over the years. Two times, a few days later, I have had such a bad case of hives that I had to go in to the doctors for antibiotics. She told me I had a bad case of "hottubitis" or contact dermatitis. It was so bad I was actually feverish. Of the 6 people who used the tub, 2 of us had skin problems. She basically told me using a small hottub at a private rental home is like Russian roulette.

Since the tubs are always on the outdoor deck and it is snowing, they are covered with a heavy lid. The warm water and heavy use of the tub means if the owners are not scrupulous about chemicals, it is a breeding ground for bacteria.

So I never am able to use these tubs unless it is at a private home and not a rental.
Old Sep 18th, 2006, 08:11 AM

Hi cd ~ What he had told you is accurate. We clean ours quarterly (I actually just did it last 10 days ago) and if he keeps the chemical levels to appropriate standards anything unwanted in the water will be killed by the Bromine.

I understand your concern though. My husband is our pool/spa expert and he always feels concern that others might not keep up with all the testing and care it takes for pools and spas.

He and I feel that you can usually can tell if one is keeping up with it. No staining at the waterline. You can usually feel and detect a slight scent of the cholrine/bromine, etc...

I am sure it will be fine, as he sounds like he keeps up with it as he easily stated to you what he does.

Have fun, best wishes!
Old Sep 18th, 2006, 08:17 AM

One other thing, cd, is you could ask him how often he "checks the chemicals". My husband checks ours everyday (but he is the mad chemist when it comes to it, lol)

Of course you have no way of knowing if he is doing what he says he is doing, so it is a toss up unless you actually brought your own test kit, etc.

See how far he lives away from the rental, that may indicate it is is an easy commute for him to care for it, etc.
Old Sep 18th, 2006, 09:43 AM

We have a beach house in the OBX, and change the water in our hot tub after every rental. Our pool/spa guy gumes in the middle of the week the adjust the chemicals, if necessary. The water bills are off the charts (as well as the electric to heat up the 'new' water), but we do this for precisely the reason cd posted.
Old Sep 18th, 2006, 09:50 AM

Another idea would be to buy "testing strips" from a pool or hot tub store.

They only cost a few bucks, and that way you could check the water on your own.
Old Sep 18th, 2006, 09:52 AM
cd
Original Poster

Mykids:
That is so what I am afraid of....

Tiff:
Thanks for the info. If this was a private home of friends, no worry. However, he was very free with the information. He told me he tests the water after each guest and adds bromine. I just feel like I'm sitting in someone else's bathwater. He said if he changed the water, it would not be hot the first night we were there as it takes a long time to heat. True?
Old Sep 18th, 2006, 09:57 AM

Hi moondoggie ~ I am curious, what information made you decide that you need to change the water after each guest?

The reason I ask is because my husband is a fanatic about keeping our spa and pool clean and free of any bacteria. For five years, we have always had great success. As I stated above, he checks the levels daily and quite frankly it is labor of love.

If my husband has been misled, and we should be changing the water more frequently, I know he would want to know this information. (I know there is a big difference here, as this is the spa and pool at our private home and not a rental, but I am still curious and would like to let him know.)

Thanks much, Tiff
Old Sep 18th, 2006, 10:00 AM
cd
Original Poster

Moondoggie:
I too, of course,would like to know.

Dick:
Wouldn't that just check the ph?
Old Sep 18th, 2006, 10:02 AM

OK, as a hot tub owner (we use it quite frequently) I'm going to tell you you'll probably be fine. And I disagree with mykidssherpa's doctor! Those hives are most likely the result of TOO MUCH chemicals in the water. I know this because my husband sometimes tends to overdo the bromine, and whenever he does, I get the hives. In fact, the first time we ever used our tub, brand new, I got blisters! Needless to say, we cut back on the bromine after that!

If the water looks clear and clean, and there are no stain lines at the water level, as Tiff says, you'll be fine. The test strips just indicate the PH, not the cleanliness...so I wouldn't bother. Just use your eyes, your nose, and your common sense.

What really ruins a hot tub is the NUMBER of people using it at one time. The bromine cannot recover if, for example, you stuffed eight people in there. Whenever we have a big party, we always have to "shock" it and often just dump the water - but you definitely will know it, because it will be cloudy and icky looking.

It takes 15 minutes for each degree for heating, something like that. So, water going in at say 60 degrees, would take like ten hours to get back to 100. Costly!

Old Sep 18th, 2006, 10:04 AM

Hot tubs grow all sorts of stuff because they are close to the body temperature that human germs like. I am far from a hot tub expert, but I have also heard the the real problem is in the inadequate/improper use of chemicals - they must be renewed often because of the heat as well and testing and adding chemicals daily gets expensive and annoying.

As far as changing water between guests, I don't know if that makes sense if the chemicals are adequate. People use public/common swimming pools all the time and these rarely have water changed.

One of those things that if you think about it it gets rather gross - and also one of the reasons they tell people never to put their head under the water in a hot tub.
Old Sep 18th, 2006, 10:07 AM

hi cd ~
<<He said if he changed the water, it would not be hot the first night we were there as it takes a long time to heat. True?>>

I would say it depends on the type of spa he has. Ours heats up in a matter of hours, but we have a very good one.
One things that is certain, is that sometimes it takes a bit to get the chemicals adjusted to their perfect level. It isn't like you just throw a bromine tablet it and it's perfect.

Again as I said above, my DH is always a bit concerned because how does one know if they are caring it for it daily the way he does.

From the bad experiences that I have read above, the most cerain way to be safe is to not get in.

It saddens me that people would not be more cautious, especially if they are renting to people. Yikes, the liabilities alone are pretty scary.
Old Sep 18th, 2006, 10:19 AM
emd

A bit off the topic but relevant: I recently stayed in a new hotel room on the oceanfront that had a private 6 person hot tub on the very large balcony. The hot tub was really a big outdoor jacuzzi bath. It had knobs and a faucet just like a bath, and we filled it up every time we wanted to use it. It had a temperature setting so once you got it filled w/hot water you could set the temp to go up or stay the same and turn on the jets. We pulled the plug at the end of each session and wiped it out, ready to refill and use again. Nice strong jets, no chemicals, no ick.

If I was to have a rental property I think I'd get one of those instead of a hot tub w/chemicals, etc. Higher water bill, but less to go wrong, and no upkeep from spa maintenance people; the housecleaners would just clean it out like a regular bathtub.
Old Sep 18th, 2006, 10:30 AM

cd.

The strips will also check the bromine/chlorine level. If the level is too low, that would be an indicator that
water may not have been cared for regularly.

If you put on the jets and the water gets foamy (as in soap) that is another indicator of lack of care.

Bottom if you have ANY doubts of the cleanliness of a hot tub/spa, don't use it.

I had a hot tub for 18 years (before I got rid of it) and it learned the importance of regualr maintenance.
Old Sep 18th, 2006, 10:40 AM
OO

We had a pool with spa built at our last house in Dallas. The spa was a walled off section of the pool, and of course was never emptied. Our heater was such that the spa (it held 8 comfortably) would be ready to get into in an hour, no matter how cold outside, although it'd take a day to heat the entire pool (and astronomical amounts of money...we did it once.)

My husband cleverly was absent when pool/spa operation was explained, so I was always the "pool person"--we did not use a service. Ours used chlorine, not bromine, but I was always told by our pool builder/supply company that if you could smell the chlorine, it meant there was too little chlorine in the pool, rather than too much. Something about free chlorine molecules and I've forgotten the exact reasoning for it now...12 years later. Just wanted to warn you not to freak if you don't smell chlorine--you shouldn't.

I wouldn't worry too much about fresh water with each guest. If it has been properly maintained, key, then it should be perfectly safe. I doubt a little test kit is all that expensive. Ours tested both the chlorine level and pH, easy to read. After your verbalized concerns cd, I'll betcha anything he has his chemicals all perfectly balanced for your visit! I know I would in his shoes.
Old Sep 18th, 2006, 10:49 AM

(you might also want to mention that you belong to a very important travel community on the internet and are eagar to recommend his rental to others after you return home...)
Old Sep 18th, 2006, 11:12 AM
cd
Original Poster

Thanks guys for all your comments. After Suerich's post regarding Legionnair's Disease, I googled and found there is a lot to say on the subject, I am now paranoid. Read: http://tinyurl.com/kkfzu
Old Sep 18th, 2006, 11:33 AM

I read this entire thread because we have a new pool and hot tub, although we have yet to heat up the hot tub.

Now I feel itchy in all the wrong places. Thanks a lot!
Old Sep 18th, 2006, 11:43 AM

Don't worry missypie, most places give you a great starter up package so you will be familiar with all the chemicals, you will be fine.

Addtionally, they are always ready (and quite used to) answering multiple questions, especially because everyone's water is different, so don't hesitate to call if you have questions.

As far as dipping into unfamiliar hot tubs, I am officially spooked now too after reading the website cd provided. Scary.
Old Sep 18th, 2006, 11:55 AM
GoTravel

Thanks missypie, lol!

OO, what you wrote makes sense. Even if the water is changed, if the hot tub itself is dirty, clean water will not help.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -