Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Should I pre-book Maui activities, or just wait until we arrive?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 13th, 2001, 03:34 PM
aleese2001

Hello,
My fiance and I are going to Maui for our honeymoon for 1 week this June. I'm wondering if it's best to book activities (like snorkeling, bike riding) before we arrive on the island. Or, would it be best to wait until we arrive? I'm curious to know what others have done. Also, has anyone heard of Tom's Bareback Tours? Thanks in advance for your help!

Old Feb 13th, 2001, 09:16 PM
Barbara

I booked several activities through Tom's Bareback Tours last summer and I was very pleased with the knowledgeable help and advice I was given. I booked a snorkel trip and a Hana trip before we arrived and paid at their store in Lahaina when we got there. I booked a Trilogy trip to Lanai when paying for the others and couldn't get the day I wanted because I it was fully booked. If you know what you want to do, and if they're very popular activities or if they can only take a few people (rather than a hundred) then I would suggest booking before you go.

Old Feb 14th, 2001, 03:30 AM
Sandy

We've used Tom's each time we've visited Maui. They discount activities and are very good. They do have a websight. Book before you leave hoome if you already know what you want to do. Some activities fill up quickly, expecially The Old Lahania Luau.

Old Feb 14th, 2001, 04:39 AM
Gene

It is up to you but we waited and were very glad. Once we got there we had many more choices than when we considered to book before our arrival on Maui and other islands too. We got better idea what we have to see and do when we got there. And prices are much better. I woud not book any snorkeling or bike riding to the top of the volcano from home. There is no need for it.

Old Feb 14th, 2001, 07:59 AM
patg

The correct name is Tom Barefoot's Cashback Tours. They have a website, and a storefront in Lahaina.

We stopped there on our last trip and one member of our group made a lengthy inquiry about trips to Molokai. The staff was exceptionally helpful, with no hard sell although our friend bought nothing at the time. But, in a day or so, he did book through them. He was pleased with the arrangements.

By the way, the mule ride at Kaluapapa, Molokai, is one thing that must be arranged well in advance. Also, certain luaus should be done 72 hours or more in advance.

Old Feb 14th, 2001, 03:37 PM
sammie

We waited until arrival to book activities and went in person to one of the Activity warehouses. We were shown actual pictures of the activities and got more detail in person. These activity centers are all around the island and the more you book the greater the discounts they give.

Old Feb 20th, 2001, 03:47 PM
shellie

The one tour that I would book before going is a bike ride down Haleakala with Marc from Aloha Bike tours. He advertizes only on the internet(mauibike.com I believe). He offers a class act, small group, ride at your own pace and ends the trip at a winery. A fantastic host.