Reload this Page >

Should I move to Indianapolis?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 3rd, 2001, 07:31 PM
mike

I'm considering a move to Indianapolis from the western 'burbs of Chicago. Pros and cons from current and former Indy residents? Thanks!

Old Jun 3rd, 2001, 09:47 PM
naptown

Funny---I'm thinking of moving from Indy to Chicago's western burbs!

Pros: Less traffic, shorter drives, lower cost of living, weather is just a tad warmer with less snow, no lake breezes

Cons: Hoosiers, double negatives, lack of natural beauty, major league baseball, culture and "real" Italian beef, basketball is religion, few corner taverns-- most bars are in strip malls,do-nothing legislature, a man-made canal downtown is the new focus of development.

Chicago native and current (and hopefully soon-to-be former) resident.

Old Jun 3rd, 2001, 10:47 PM
Jim

All the things written above are true about Indy. I was transplanted here 22 years ago from the 'burbs of Philly. Absolutely don't miss the density of the former. Learning to and getting around on the northern half of Indy is EXTREMELY easy. 99% of the streets are north/south and east/west. The best 'burbs here are north (Carmel, the wealthiest county in the state), northeast and northwest. "Downtown" (15x10 blocks) has Greatly improved in my time here. Indy is a clean, friendly city with relatively good dinning and shopping, but of course, poor entertainment and arts.

Old Jun 7th, 2001, 06:43 PM
mike

Thanks - so far I'm holding off on packing my bags. Anybody else have any insights?

Old Jun 7th, 2001, 07:25 PM
Carol

It's been quite some time since we lived in Indy (Greenwood, IN). We have lived in numerous states over the past 32 years, and have to say that Indy was probably my least favorite (even beating out 2 long winters in Buffalo!).

I know it's grown since then, but felt it was pretty boring, the people weren't very friendly, and restaurant diversity was lacking. Have visited or passed through there several times over the past ten years and can't say my opinion was swayed.

Old Jun 8th, 2001, 09:19 AM
Christina

I haven't lived there but been through it several times as I lived in Ohio for a long time (birth to about age 25) and go back to see relatives. I think Indiana is much worse than Ohio, and it's not that exciting. It is more boring, flatter and really very conservative (Dan Quayle, enough said). If you are that conservative maybe you'd like it. I would think it might be an okay place to live for those who say they just want a relatively cheap, boring place to raise kids.

Old Jun 8th, 2001, 10:18 AM
Bill I

About 5 years ago, we thought about moving to Indy from the Nortwest Suburbs. Went as far as looking at houses, at the before mentioned Carmel suburb. The prices at that time were about the same we paid for our house, but the houses in Carmel were quite abit larger & had more upgrades. The school system looked good. They had a good organization for youth hockey, which both my kids play. The cost of living appeared to be less in Indy. (Stopped at a grocery store to compare prices.) Spent some time in downtown Indy. Really liked it. Chicago is bigger so naturally there would be more choices of things to do than in Indy. But Indy also has it choices. The main thing I noticed right away was the lack of traffic, comparatively speaking, to Chicago.

The reasons we didn't move: The wife was given a nice promotion at her job. Family has a very good network of friends & activities here. The In-Laws live in Green Bay, & we would have to travel through Chicago everytime we wanted to go there, instead of starting out on the north side like we do now.
Along with that,in Chicago, we get our share of winter storms, but always hearing how I65 is closed in portions or totally between Chicago & Indy.

Old Jun 8th, 2001, 10:48 AM
Jeff

I live in Chicago now as well (Lincoln Park) and went to school at Indiana University in Bloomington whih is not far from Indianapolis. After college I live on the north side of Indy for 2 years in the Keystone rossing area. I can tell you right now there is muh less to do as far as arts and ulture in Indy. However, i notie you are a suburb dweller rather than a city dweller anyway. I have to wonder how much burbs people take advantage of the good food, shows, museums, night lubs, shopping of Chicago. Most I know don't. They travel downtown for work and retreat back to the burbs right after. Sure there is the ocasional trip to michigan Avenue but this usually rare, one every couple of months or so. If you are one of these types, being in Indy won't bother you anyway as it has a very suburban feel. One plus is that the weather is much better. While I-65 from Chiago to Indy is ofen closed for snow, one you get past northern IN and into the area aound Indy there is muh LESS bad weather, though they still have cold winters. If you are just looking for a move to a smaller city, let me suggest Cincinnati or St. Louis, two of the best medium sized cities in the midwest. Both are smaller than Indy but for some reason have more going on culturally. also both have a lower cost of living than hicago as does Indy. For example, I am friends with a couple who rent a 2br apt on the north side of Indy for around $1000/month and it is very nice, the same 2br. in Chicago (at least in my area) wouls be $1800/month without parking as that is extra!

Old Jun 14th, 2001, 07:33 PM
mike

Thanks everyone for the detailed responses. Yes we are suburb dwellers (Naperville) but love Chicago and get downtown fairly often, and also live walking distance from Naperville's downtown, which is booming and has a fair amount to offer for a suburb. Based on these postings and a bit of reading and research (and one quick weekend visit), we can't say we are excited about this possible move. However, if the job that is luring us there pans out we might be tempted. Any further thoughts are welcome, including where to live around Indy. Carmel seems to have nice, newer houses but little sense of community, and you have to get in your car to do anything at all. Am I mistaken? Thoughts on Carmel or other suburbs? Are there any established neighborhoods closer to town worth considering for a young family? We have a 2 year old and another on the way. Thanks to all.

Old Jun 15th, 2001, 05:46 AM
Jesse

Here's my take.....I live in a southern suburb of Indianapolis (Greenwood). I grew up here and have lived here most of my life, although I have lived in Europe a travelled quite a bit. Indianapolis is definately a family town...many people grew up here and stay here. It has a lot of family activities, sporting events, small museums (the Children's Museum is probably one of the best in the country). It is not a great nightlife town, or as stated before, great for arts/culture. We travel to Chicago frequently for shows/arts.
It really depends on your priorities and where you are in life. I personally think it is a very nice town to raise children (safe, clean, reasonable cost of living). That said, some areas to consider:
Carmel....already mentioned. Nice area, but for Indianapolis, it is the most expensive side of town. Has access to the best shopping and restaurants.
Greenwood....south side of Indianapolis...more of a small town feel. Good schools, easy access to downtown (15-20min MAX)....your dollar goes much farther for housing on this side of town.
Broad Ripple.....on the northside of downtown (10-15 minutes to downtown)....more of a city-style suburb, if that makes sense. Lots of bungalows, but more expensive, larger homes are close in the Meridian-Kessler area....an area more for single and young married couples.....lots of areas to walk, nice restaurants, cute shops all within walking distance.....not great schools.....I lived here for a while right after I was married....great place to live but not an area I would want to raise kids in.

Other areas that are growing but I'm not as familiar with include the west side of the city...Brownsburg/Avon/Danville.

Old Jun 26th, 2001, 02:19 PM
mike

Anyone else? Thank you.

Old Jun 26th, 2001, 04:45 PM
michelle

I think you would really enjoy the Meridian Kessler nieghborhood. It is closer to downtown with a real nieghborhood feel, very community oriented. Broad Ripple is a very artsy type community which is near downtown as well.

Old Jun 26th, 2001, 08:06 PM
Mike

No. Don't. Better places to live in the US of A. Nuff said.

Mike