Reload this Page >

Should I buy hotel vouchers?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 3rd, 1998, 02:36 PM
Dean Lewin

I am travelling to the USA in October and have the opportunity to buy vouchers for various motels for approx US $61-65 (AUS $111). These are for chains such as DAYS INN, HOWARD JOHNSON, RAMADA, TRAVELODGE, and offer properties in most of the area I want to visit eg: Monteray, Santa Monica, Gettysburg, Virginia, Niagra Falls etc. Is this a good idea?, or at this time of the year am I better of just trying my luck when I arrive.
I am travelling alone and have little need for extreme luxury,

Thanks in advance for any comments,

Dean Lewin (Australia)

Old Sep 3rd, 1998, 02:51 PM
Donna

All vouchers are different, so be sure to read the fine print, particularly with regard to exclusions. Those are very low rates, and all of those chains are excellent. Would be best if you made reservations.

Old Sep 4th, 1998, 05:11 AM
Cal

I would NOT purchase the vouchers. You are basically traveling in off season and should have no trouble getting accomodations. The prices quoted are certainly NO bargain for the hotel chains listed. There are several free publications for discount accomodations in California. These can be obtained at many of the Denny's and McDonald's restaurants. The chains that you emntioned are the ones most listed. Rates are pretty well all under $50.00 /nt for 2 people. Also you can always negotiate your own deal. I have obtained discounts as high as 80% just by doing my own negotiating.

Old Sep 4th, 1998, 11:59 AM
Owen O'Neill

I agree that particularly at the time of year in question, vouchers are not guranteed to be the best bargain. The chains mentioned are adequate however, particularly when luxury is not a priority. Keep in mind that often they are franchised and some locations will not meet quite the same standards as others (different owners). $61-65 in the off season may be a reasonable price in Monterey or even Santa Monica (only if near the water) but you can do better, especially in other cities. You might try one of the reservation services on the net such as quikbook.com or 180096hotel.com
The coupon book mentioned is usually available where mentioned and also at any rest area on Interstate highways (our limited access long distance roadways). I've had good luck with the coupons. Also, you might check Consumer Reports magazine online - they did a review sometime within the last 6 months comparing many of the national budget - moderate hotel chains.

Old Sep 4th, 1998, 12:30 PM
Paul Rabe

For the time of the year and places you are traveling, I would strongly recommend against spending $60 US for lodging. In my years of travel around all parts of the US, I have almost never had a problem finding very good lodging for less (sometimes a LOT less) than $60 US a night double. The only times I have had trouble is (1) when I didn't make reservations and I travel during the height of the tourist season, (2) in the downtown areas of large cities, or (3) near heavily-used National Parks (in which case I camp). None of these should be a problem for you in October at the places you want to visit. I have almost never had a problem at budget chains like Motel 6, Red Roof Inn, Days Inn, or Super 8; all of whom have a web page giving locations, rates, and the ability to make reservations. You can also get a good listing of motels (with rates) in numerous guidebooks (AAA,Mobil,Fodors); all of them, I have found, give fairly honest evaluations and none have led me to stay at a dump. In October, I can almost guarantee you can drive almost anywhere in the US and get a good room just by stopping when you want to and asking for a room at any place listed in these guidebooks. Maybe the best way to start the conversation is to ask "Do you have any rooms at a discount?"; the clerk may then offer you a discount you don't even deserve, just to get your business!