Short Yosemite Visit - Worth it? - Plan?

Nov 16th, 2010, 05:36 AM
Original Poster

Short Yosemite Visit - Worth it? - Plan?

With 4 days available for mid-June is this doable and/or worth it?

2 days in the Valley including the Mist hike. Other short hikes/walks could be built in but scenery is the main goal.

Split 2 days between Tioga Road (stop at scenic locations but no more than short walks from the car), Wawona Road (maybe a few hours in the Mariposa Grove but mostly stops and short walks at scenic locations) and Glacier Road (possibly a relatively short hike but again short walks from the car at scenic locations).

And, what if it got cut to 3 days? How would you divide up the days.

Thanks in advance.
Nov 16th, 2010, 06:44 AM

You might be surprised that the majority of visitors to Yosemite are merely daytrippers and for the vast majority of them, even one day is "worth it". 4 days is great! Your plan is good. If you cut it to 3 days, I'd keep 2 in the valley, then pick either 1 or the other. Both have their high points (no pun intended) -- if it were me, I'd use the 3rd day in the southern part (Wawona, Mariposa, Glacier), but it's a matter of taste.
Nov 16th, 2010, 06:50 AM

Yes it's worth it.

Mid-June there may be significant snow in higher elevations. Don't plan activities too far in advance.

Get your accomodations NOW. The place will be fully booked in June.
Nov 16th, 2010, 06:55 AM
Original Poster

Thanks.

I forgot to mention. I'm a glutton for waterfalls and lake/mountain combinations. The more the better.

For me, hikes are a means to the scenery.
Nov 16th, 2010, 08:18 AM

Myer,

You might want to check out some pictures of the Mist Trail before you decide to do it. It's a sort of narrow, steep rock staircase with drop offs on the river side. I did it coming down with a backpack at the end of a 4 day pack (which ws great).
Nov 16th, 2010, 08:54 AM
Original Poster

Dayle,

You might be right. I'll look at photos of it.
Nov 16th, 2010, 09:53 AM

Speaking as somebody who's kind of a sissy about edges and drop-offs, I did NOT find the Mist Trail a problem.

~Liz
Nov 16th, 2010, 10:34 AM

Mist trail should be fine for all the hiking you do, Myer. Just be aware that it can be very slippery, so really focus on your footing. The rock "staircase" is steep and uneven, so just be aware of that.

I've never seen where the Tioga road closure point is located, so I'm not sure where this trailhead is located in terms of that, but I recommend the lovely hike to Elizabeth Lake. It is beautiful, little-traveled, and a very peaceful place to relax with a picnic lunch.

And yes, 4 days is great for a Yosemite visit.
Nov 16th, 2010, 05:13 PM

Myer,

There are some good photos at this web site: www.trails.com.
Nov 17th, 2010, 11:22 AM

We did a day and a half trip last year and packed in quite a bit. If you care to, click on my name for a detailed trip report. We stayed our first night in Oakhurst at the Shiloh Inn which is a terrific value and close to Nelder Grove and Mariposa Grove in Yosemite - for us an advantage and time saver. The town though is nothing much. The hike to Sentinal Dome was the highlight of the day with what may be the finest views on earth. Photo link: www.flickr.com/photos/basingstoke2/sets
Scroll down for the Yosemite set.
Nov 17th, 2010, 11:55 AM

Go, Go, Go!! It is so worth it, no matter how long or short of a trip!!
Nov 17th, 2010, 06:28 PM
Original Poster

Well, I'm sold.

I have another trip planned for mid-July. I've got to try and put this together for mid-June.

Thanks for the push.

basingstoke, Great photos. Wish there were captions. Thanks.
Nov 17th, 2010, 09:22 PM

Absolutely worth it! Try for four days if you can manage it. If you have time, hike at the Hetch Hetchy Reservoir - stunning scenery, and no crowds. Also, if you're able to go up to Tuolumne Meadows, be sure to stop at the scenic overlook at Olmstead Point. Take the 1/4 mile trail to the dome (to the left) where you have a view of the back side of Half Dome, Tenaya Lake, and many other spectacular features. Wander around on the open rock face and marvel at the huge boulders (glacial erratics) strewn about. We're so glad we took took the time, and didn't miss those amazing views.
Nov 17th, 2010, 09:43 PM

P.S. - rereading your post about being a glutton for lake/mountain combos, you should definitely try to spend some time at Hetch Hetchy. It's a sad fact that Hetch Hetchy was a valley to rival the Yosemite Valley, but it was dammed to provide water for San Francisco - it's the primary source of water for the city (losing the battle to prevent that was a sad ending to John Muir's life). Now that valley is half underwater, and there's a hiking trail along the edge of the reservoir; the mountains rising above the water are really beautiful. There are some waterfalls you can hike to; we didn't have a lot of time to spend there, so we didn't manage to get that far.
Nov 23rd, 2010, 06:15 AM
Original Poster

Well, it now appears that none of the people I would normally go with are available.

I think I'll go it alone for 5 days in mid-June.
Nov 23rd, 2010, 06:28 PM

Myer,
I am going June 24-28th with a friend of mine that worked for me when he was in HS. He actually went on a couple of trips with my wife and I when he was in Middle School. My wife had him in class and he lived a couple of doors down from us. I have only seen him a couple of times in the past ten years or so. We plan on doing Half Dome on one of those days. I have one day planned for The High Country and even a stay at Glen Aulin Camp. It opens the week(depending on snow levels). If you are there at that time, you could hike the Mist Trail with us(half way up to half dome). I still have reservations in the Valley on the day that Glen Aulin High Sierra Day, just in case.

Bridal Veil are both very easy to see. Vernal Falls and Nevada Fall are on the Mist Trail. I don't think you would have any problem with those. It is a spectacular trail.
Wapama Falls is a nice hike in the Hetch Hetchy area. I hope to see Waterwheel Falls in the high country on this trip. Maybe Rancheria Falls. Hope to hike half dome as well.

You might consider staying in Wawonna one night and then the rest of the time in the valley. This is about an hour away and is where the Big Trees are.

I wish I had 10 days there and I would hike the entire High Sierra Camps Loop trail.
Nov 25th, 2010, 03:24 AM
Original Poster

spiro,

Thanks. Sounds tempting but that would be too late.

We're leaving for Banff, Vancouver & Victoria a couple of days later and I need a couple of weeks at least in between.

It's almost tempting to wait a year for 2012 and plan lodging better but it's not like me. I'll decide in the next few days.
Dec 4th, 2010, 11:38 AM

My wife and I enjoyed the "Bug" Hostel in Midpines. Easy drive to Yosemite and a small restaurant on site. Kitchen if you want to bring your own food. Hostels always save money VS lodging in a NP. Park lodging seems to be booked far in advance
Definatly worth seeing even with limited time.
Dec 4th, 2010, 04:06 PM
Original Poster

I'm thinking I'll go for 4 days since none of the people I would usually go with are available so I'll go alone.

For 5 nights it'll be tough to get inpark lodging. I think I'll stay in El Portal at one of the motels there.
Dec 5th, 2010, 08:02 AM

Try to get a cancellation in the park. El Portal is a depressing place to stay imho. I have stayed there and it is not a particularly pretty place and there is very little to do there.

Find enzian'a recent trip report. They stayed in Yosemite West, which for me would be more preferable than El Portal.

There will be plenty of snow in the high country in mid June so some of the trails may be closed, but the peaks will be gorgeous.

One trip that I like to take if I am alone is take the hiker's bus up to Glacier Point and then hike the Panorama trail down. You can take either the Mist Trail down or the more normal John Muir trail bypass.

Be sure to research some of the viewpoints off the Glacier Point road. Many of them are contected and offer amazing views of the Valley. They are mostly overlooked by tourists and you may find yourself alone for much of the mostly level hiking. Roosevelt and Stanford points are just two that my foggy brain can remember.

Takaing the Mist Trail UP to Nevada Falls is a Yosemite classic and should not be missed. Bring a cheap rain parka and you will be fine as you climb up past Vernal Falls. The granite trail cut into the hillside going up to Nevada Falls is spectacular as are the views of the falls on your way up.

One of my favorite hikes off the Tioga Road mainly for the payoff at the end is the 4 mile moderate hike to North Dome. The trail is mostly through forest and has a mild elevation gain, but the views from North Dome at the end of the trail are truly amazing. Half Dome sits right in front of you. Clouds Rest feels so close you can reach out and touch it and the Valley is laid out in front of you in a most incredible way. The echos of he waterfalls fill the air. Highly recommended!

Sounds like a great trip!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy -

FODOR'S VIDEO