Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Short Connex at SAT. Do I have enough time for checked bags?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 20th, 2019, 10:32 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

To all,
I recently purchased two separate itineraries that result in a short connection window of about 1.5 hours at San Antonio's SAT airport. Unfortunately, I did not have the ability to book this under 1 itinerary. Will this be enough time with checked luggage? I will be arriving at SAT from IAH (Houston Bush Intercontinental) with a final destination in Mexico.

If not, I may have a work around but there is a catch...I'm leaving IAH to arrive in SAT at 10:47am. Then I get on an international itinerary that takes me back to IAH leaving SAT at 12:15pm. Back at IAH I have a long layover of 5 hours and I plan on parking at IAH. Would there be a problem with checking my luggage mid itinerary (in IAH)?

FYI: The reason I am doing this ping-pong route is the reduce my travel expenses by 50%. Why is it so less expensive for more flights and jet fuel? Hell if I know!!!!

Thanks in advance for all of your help.
Old Aug 20th, 2019, 10:43 AM
J62

what airlines?
If same or partner airline for both legs then you could check your bags through to your destination and the 1hr 50min layover is fine.
If you had to collect your bags, then return to check-in to drop off your bags, I would not bet on having enough time. The question you have to ask yourself is "what happens if I miss the flight to Mexico? What then?

Not sure I follow your return plan question. You have one itinerary - SAT to IAH to another destination, and you want to know if you can check your bag on to the other destination when you get to IAH. Did i get that right?

I've done this before with no problem - this was at the gate, with carry on luggage that was either too big to fit on a smaller plane, or when the flight was full and they asked for people willing to check their bags to free up overhead space.
Old Aug 20th, 2019, 11:04 AM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
>>If same or partner airline for both legs then you could check your bags through to your destination . . . .>Would there be a problem with checking my luggage mid itinerary (in IAH)?
Old Aug 20th, 2019, 11:12 AM
J62

am i sure?

no, i don't completely follow the bouncing ball. I'm used to seeing an itinerary laid out step by step
1. Airline, flight #, depart airport XXX @ ##:## AM/PM, arrive airport YYY
2 Airline, flight #, depart airport YYY @ ##:## AM/PM, arrive airport ZZZ
etc.

if we knew more about airlines & cities we could offer more informed help.
Old Aug 20th, 2019, 11:28 AM
Original Poster

Thank you J62. The airline is United. I guess I could call them and ask if I can check the bag later into my itinerary.However, what you say makes complete sense because the later flight is a tiny express jet.

The next part is not the "return plan" but rather a secondary idea to just leave my checked bag within the safety of my parked and locked vehicle. So in detail....
Iten 1.
Leave Houston at ~9:40
Arrive in San Antonio at ~10:36 At this point I have completed my itinerary.

Iten 2.
Leave San Antonio at ~12:15 This starts a new itinerary.
Arrive back in Houston at ~1:15. This is where I started the same day and I think this is the part that is confusing as I failed to mention this. What I could do is take the shuttle to my truck to get my checked bags. (I guess.)
Leave Houston at ~6:30
Arrive in Mexico at ~8:30 This is my final destination. On my return flight I would be doing the opposite from Mexico - Houston - San Antonio. (Only to return to San Antonio to avoid conflicts with the airline. I've been warned that they do not like it when you "ghost" on the last leg of your itinerary.
Old Aug 20th, 2019, 11:44 AM
J62

maybe it's me, but I'm completely confused.

so what's your question, whether you have enough time in SAT to get off the flight from IAH at 10:36, get to your truck, then get back on (likely the same plane) for another flight back to IAH 12:15, then continue onwards to Mexico all in the same day?

what am i missing? perhaps others follow you easier than I do.
Old Aug 20th, 2019, 01:50 PM

>>so what's your question, whether you have enough time in SAT to get off the flight from IAH at 10:36, get to your truck, then get back on (likely the same plane) for another flight back to IAH 12:15, then continue onwards to Mexico all in the same day?

Last edited by janisj; Aug 20th, 2019 at 01:52 PM.
Old Aug 20th, 2019, 04:16 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I guess you've already bought these tickets. I don't suppose you checked fares on Interjet.... They have service between Houston and a number of cities in Mexico. I did a dummy booking on both United and Interjet for the same dates in September for trips to Mexico City, from SAT on United and from IAH on Interjet. Interjet was cheaper, and the flight was nonstop.
Old Aug 21st, 2019, 01:34 PM

I think the point is that by originating the flight to Mexico she can save a lot of money--hence flying to SAT and then right back on the way to Mexico.

With the amount of time you do have in Houston, just be safe and leave your suitcase there and go get it.
Old Aug 21st, 2019, 02:07 PM

>>With the amount of time you do have in Houston, just be safe and leave your suitcase there and go get it.