Reload this Page >

Shoreham Hotel in NYC -- tiny rooms?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 23rd, 1999, 10:10 AM
Sarah

I've heard positive things about the Shoreham. But are the rooms very small? If anyone has stayed there, I'd appreciate advice. Thanks.

Old Aug 23rd, 1999, 12:05 PM
Louis

We used to stay at the Shoreham Hotel all the time when the rooms were under $100 per night. Then are rooms were small but they had a butlers pantry. It is now a boutique hotel with much higher room rates but I don't see how they would be able to make the rooms much larger. We however did not have any real problem with space. Also we did not spend much time in the room. The location is excellent with lots of places to eat at all price ranges with an excellent French bakery across the street. Ask for a discount rate or special rate. They use load management and if they are not full you can save lots. The decor is high style Italian with lots of chrome and Belgium linen sheets so I have heard. We have not stayed there since the rates have gone up. We have found a better place at a better location which we keep secret from everybody.

Old Aug 23rd, 1999, 12:35 PM
Neal Sanders

Sarah, I stayed at the Shoreham last year in a one bedroom suite. Yes, the rooms were small but functional, and very new wave (steel sinks, industrial materials, etc.) But the service was friendly, the continental breakfast pleasant, and the crowd was interesting to look at. My suite was $350, as I recall.

Old Aug 23rd, 1999, 04:13 PM
Sarah

Thanks for your replies.

Well, I was quoted $240 for a standard room in November. I know NYC is expensive, but I wonder if the rooms merit this price. I don't mind small rooms, really. I just don't want to feel like I'm being ripped off. Also, the person I'm going with won't like it if the rooms are really small.

Old Aug 25th, 1999, 06:40 PM
arjay

Louis: What a meanie you are! Tantalize us and then clam up....fer shame!

Old Aug 26th, 1999, 05:23 PM
Louis

To arjay: I will admit that was mean. However after last year when I discovered it was fully booked I decided to keep my mouth shut. Just so I will be forgiven, the hotel's name starts with W. It can be found on this web site. When I asked the NYC Fodor's Editor if there was another like it, he said there was none. I am being generous since we have a loan of an apartment this year on E. 59th. for a week. I hope most people will forget about it by next year. It is not a hotel for everybody. It is only for those people that want a friendly home and love NYC. It is not for families.

Old Sep 1st, 1999, 04:31 PM
Jeanne

Sarah, We recently stayed at the Shoreham. Although the rooms are small they are adding new rooms and should be done about now, they also have suites which I thought were very reasonably priced. The prices I thought were reasonable for NYC, and the staff was very nice. Not something you always find in NYC. The location is great, close to attractions and the subway.

Old Sep 2nd, 1999, 10:32 AM
amy

I have not stayed at Shoreham, but I did stay at the Roger Williams (which is also owned by Unique Hotels). Also a boutique hotel, I was impressed by the service and the delicious free continental breakfast. I found a great deal of $145 a night (yes, the rooms are small) through www.express-res.com (they also book L.A. hotels).