Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Shops, Restaurants, Acadia w/in walking distance to Bar Harbor Inn?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 24th, 2003, 12:39 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My husband & I will be spending 3 nights in Bar Harbor for our first time in July. I've narrowed my search down to staying at Bar Harbor Inn, Sunset on West B&B and Ullikana. I was wondering if we can walk to the shops, restaurants and the park from Bar Harbor Inn. We're looking for a comfortable place to stay with good food and a little bit of luxury! We like the outdoors and walking and would prefer not to drive around if we don't have to. Of the 3 mentioned above, which one is more conveniently located? After reading postings on fodors and looking up the sites, I can't decide between the 3 and this might help me make up my mind! Thank you in advance for your help.
Old Feb 24th, 2003, 04:15 PM

The best way to see the park is to drive the 27 mile loop road. Do it. You won't regret it. It's a very special place. I would say no, can't walk to the park and expect to see anything.
Old Feb 25th, 2003, 04:54 AM

I don't know the location of these hotels specifically, but Bar Harbor is pretty compact, so you can probably walk to restaurants and shopping.

The park is a different matter. You'll want to do the loop at least once, but there is a shuttle bus that you can use to take you to a trailhead, for instance.
Old Feb 25th, 2003, 06:05 AM
Original Poster

Good points...you both are right. I wouldn't mind driving to a trailhead or driving the loop. After thinking about it, I really only prefer to be within walking distance to the shops and restaurants. Maybe I should submit a new post on the Bar Harbor Inn, Sunset on West and Ullikana. I would love to get feedback on these inns from anyone who has stayed there. Thank you Deborah and elberko!
Old Apr 16th, 2003, 11:31 AM

Go to George's, a restaurant just off main street (7 Stephens Ln), the food was wonderful!
Old Apr 16th, 2003, 06:33 PM

If you want to do some great walking, go into Acadia and walk the carriage trails. Acadia has miles and miles of carriage trails that are well maintained and were built many years ago by the Rockefellas. You can still take carriage rides on them, but motorized vehicles are prohibited, which makes them ideal for walking. I was there a few years back, and I have to say my best memory is of walking the carriage trails and seeing the beautiful vistas around every turn. Acadia is a very special and unique place.
Old Apr 17th, 2003, 10:33 PM

Bar Harbor Inn is slightly out of town about 2 miles fromshops and restaurants. The loop in Acadia is a must see. Be ware there are no bathrooms, no water and no food in the park. Take a lunch to the top of Cadillac Mtn. and eat looking at the view. Trust me you will thank yourself for doing so.
Old Apr 17th, 2003, 10:47 PM

The Balance Rock Inn is just what you're looking for, but pricey in July.

The Ledgelawn Inn and The Manor House Inn are short walks to town. Haven't heard of the 2 you mention.

www.barharborvacations.com