Reload this Page >

Shopping in The Loop in Chicago

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 2nd, 2000, 12:48 PM
Kathy

I am planning on staying at Palmer House Hilton in June and wanted to know what kind of shopping is around that area? Is it safe at night around Palmer House? How long a cab ride from there to Mag Mile area (near Water Tower)? Thanks.

Old Jun 2nd, 2000, 12:59 PM
marilyn

Kathy, there is not all that much shopping around the Palmer House, though you are near the original Marshall Field's store, the theater district, and the Art Institute and Grant Park. It is perfectly safe in the loop, or downtown, area, as well as on the Mag Mile. Madison Street, which is where the street numbers start in Chicago, is one side of the Palmer House, and the Water Tower is at 800 North, so it is about a mile. If shopping is your primary interest, staying nearer to the Water Tower might be adviseable, because the shopping along and about Michigan Avenue is what you will want. However, it is very safe to walk, assuming the weather cooperates. If you took a cab in the morning for your class, which I think I remember you asking about, it wouldn't hurt to allow 20-30 minutes due to traffic, but again, if you are a walker, this would be a nice 15-20 minute walk.

Old Jun 2nd, 2000, 01:07 PM
Kathy

Yes I had asked about class (it is on W. Monroe). When you say a 30 minute cab ride or 15-20 minute walk to class is that from Water Tower or Palmer House? Sorry to not follow you on that. Have I been asking too many questions? This is a hard decision for me - Palmer House is perfect for my class but near Water Tower is perfect for my mother to shop while I'm in class. Decisions!?!? Palmer House just sounds so nice - the other option near Water Tower is Tremont. Thanks for all the details - I'll decide soon.
Thanks for cooperating with my indecisiveness.
Kathy

Old Jun 2nd, 2000, 01:08 PM
Kathy

I'm sorry - I just re-read your message and you did answer the cab ride thing as 30 minutes from Water Tower to Palmer House - I apologize.
Kathy

Old Jun 2nd, 2000, 01:15 PM
marilyn

Yes, the Palmer House is a great and historic building. The individual rooms may be extremely variable, I am told by conference-going friends. The Tremont is a smaller, more intimate place, and would personally be my choice. If your mother is going to be shopping all day, it would be much more convenient, and not all that inconvenient for you if you were just going to and returning from class.

Old Jun 2nd, 2000, 01:17 PM
Kathy

Thank you so much for your thoughts. I had made a call to the Tremont and they only have 2 twin beds or 1 king - I guess I had thought the room would be really small. You make me feel better about it though. Thanks again.
Kathy

Old Jun 2nd, 2000, 03:31 PM
Kathy

Well, I made a reservation at the Tremont. I feel so much better about it now and am looking forward to my trip. Thanks for all the input.
Kathy

Old Jun 4th, 2000, 01:35 PM
arjay

I think you made the wise choice, Kathy. You'll be in an interesting neighborhood, and your Mom can wander during the day and will be near Michigan Avenue as well as posh shopping on Oak St. and Walton. If your weather cooperates, you might even want to walk back from you class..If not Michigan Avenue, you might want to try strolling down Wabash, I think it would be a pleasanter walk than State St. Have a great time!

Old Jun 23rd, 2000, 09:26 AM
Deena

State Street has shopping, though not as much as Michigan Ave on the Magnificent Mile. However, the first Carson Pirie Scott and the first Marshall Field's stores are about a block away from the Palmer House. This is the best Marshall Field's in Chicago. If anything, visit the store and look at the lovely Tiffany mosaic ceiling and check out the grand architecture. It is worth a visit.

Old Jul 28th, 2000, 02:37 PM
julie

I live near the Tremont and work in the loop - the cab ride is more like 5-10 minutes in the morning rush - do it everyday. It should take 15 minutes from the minute you start looking for a cab to the Palmer House. Walking would be about 20-30 minutes and is very doable.

Old Jul 29th, 2000, 04:12 PM
kam

There are also lots and lots of buses that go straight down Michigan Ave. from North Michigan near the Water Tower to Monroe. Think the one I used to take was #151 but that was several years ago. Probably better to have mom near her shopping and you walking/cabbing/ or busing to your class. Enjoy.