Shopping in NYC

Dec 5th, 2001, 03:37 PM
Jill

Shopping in NYC

I will be in NYC for a few days next week and would like to visit the wholesale area around Broadway for Christmas ornaments.Does anyone know the exact location or area for such?

Dec 5th, 2001, 03:44 PM
Janie

huh??? There are many stores on Broadway in the upper 20's and lower 30's (and side streets) that are wholesalers of all sorts of accessories, and I suppose, novelties, but I can't think of what other wholesale district you might be referring to. Note also that those places are, at least in theory, really wholesalers and claim according to the signs on their doors not to sell to anyone without a tax resale id number. What kind of ornaments are you looking for anyway? Would you do well with one of our "Odd Job" or "Jack's 99cent" shops???

Dec 5th, 2001, 04:05 PM
Jill

I am looking for the type of ornaments that you might find in a christmas type store, not Odd Job quality. I also have a tax ID for buying wholesale.Can anyone else help?

Dec 5th, 2001, 06:00 PM
thereuare

I'm certainly no expert in this area, but you may be better off with the area around Canal St/Chinatown than the area by B'way and the 20's.

Dec 5th, 2001, 06:17 PM
rqf

There is an outfit called Five Boro Flag Banner and Sign company that has a listing in the Yellow Pages that states they do "holiday decorations" They list an 800 number - (800) 281-5352. They might be able to steer you in the right direction.

Dec 6th, 2001, 08:40 AM
JD

Jill,I guess what we're saying is that there isn't really a 'district' for this kind of stuff in NY like there are for clothes, flowers,jewelry, furs, etc.

Dec 6th, 2001, 10:22 AM
Linda

There is such a district in the area between 23rd and 27th street along Fifth Avenue and Broadway (which are a block apart in that area). Check the Manhattan yellow pages under "Christmas Lights & Decorations". If you can't get that category on the web yellow pages wait until you get to your hotel and look it up then. There are about 25-30 wholesalers listed. Can't recommend any though, I don't have an ID so I can't shop there.
Happy Shopping!

Dec 6th, 2001, 10:24 AM
Maggie

Try the area below 34th Street along Broadway and Sixth Avenue. I believe you could find anything in the world in those stores.