Shopping in New York!

Nov 15th, 2005, 04:42 AM
Original Poster

Shopping in New York!

What is the best area for clothes shopping away from the big stores and designer shops? Looking more for boutiques selling reasonably priced trendy clothes.
Nov 15th, 2005, 05:01 AM
GoTravel

Reasonably priced trendy clothes = H&M

Nov 15th, 2005, 06:42 AM

I would recommend Century 21 which is just across the street from Ground Zero - amazing deals.
Nov 15th, 2005, 06:50 AM

While I agree that H&M and Century 21 can be good places to shop for clothes, neither is a "boutique" by any means.

Broadway in SoHo offers numerous smaller-store options (Canal to Bleecker). Uptown, on Third Avenue in the 70's, both Scoop and Big Drop are very popular boutiques. And while Madison Avenue is known to be very "upscale," you'll find plenty of not-so-upscale places, particularly north of the mid-60's.

Good luck!
Nov 15th, 2005, 06:51 AM
SeptemberTurkey

If you are willing to leave Manhattan, there are outlets just under an hour away from the city, called Woodbury Commons. Every designer outlet is there and it's set in a pretty valley, with invidividual shops instead of a mall set up. There is a bus that leaves from the Port Authority bus terminal in the city.

Another alternative is Austin Street in Forest Hills, in Queens. If you're staying in Manhattan, you can take the E train and it will take you about 40 minutes. There are a lot of cute, independent boutiques here, and also some of the shops you'll see in the malls. There's plenty of restaurants as well.

In Manhattan, try the area around Soho. Shops tend to be on the expensive side, but there are unique stores and its a pleasant atmosphere to shop in.

Nov 15th, 2005, 06:56 AM

i would also say in Soho on Broadway the stretch between Houston and Canal Sts. there are lots of stores, both big and small, including H&M, Zara, B. Republic, Daffy's which has great discount designer clothes, and there are many smaller boutiques too like Foravi, Sharagano and others whose names i can't remember but where you can get REALLY inexpensive cute clothes. I was just in one yesterday.
Nov 15th, 2005, 07:07 AM

There aren't many "one off" boutiques selling trendy clothes that are affordably priced. I agree Scoop and Calypso and others are great, but not reasonably priced. That generally comes from chains or the discount stores.

H & M which has several locations. I prefer the store at Rockefeller Center but there's also one near Bloomingdales on Lexington Ave. and another near Macy's.

Topshop, an English chain known for affordable fashion has opened a store in downtown Manhattan at 35 Howard St. a block north of Canal St. The area around it (Crosby St.) has some great boutiques but they tend to be pricey.

There's a section of lower Fifth Ave. from about 28th st down to about about 15th st. that has places like Club Monaco, Lucky Brand--good for 20-30 somethings.

If you're 40 something or more, H & M and Topshop will be ok. You might want to check some of the discount stores like Daffy's and Loehmann's, some of them with multiple locations.

Anthropologie in Soho can be fun if you don't have one near you. (They have a catalog at anthropolgie.com to check out their stuff).
Nov 16th, 2005, 01:56 AM
Original Poster

That's great - thanks! I'm coming over from London so will probably avoid H&M, Topshop etc. and head for SoHo
Jan 3rd, 2006, 06:44 PM

Opening Ceremony - which houses Topshop is MEAN! and not nice to customers! For weeks, I've been very excited and wanted to go to this store, I had read about it in dailycandy.com. So I got a gift from someone that wasn't quite me and wanted to go exchange it. The Asian girl - who I assume was manager was not nice to me - she had a very nasty attitude that I could tell - she was trying very hard to conceal. Then she said that I didn't have a receipt (of course not! it's a GIFT!!!) and that I could NOT get a store credit and that I had to exchange it TODAY only. I said to her - whoo... I'm living on $2 bucks here, I don't get paid til Friday! I have NEVER heard of such a return policy in my entire life! So I look around and everything sucks! There's NOTHING sexy or girly. It's very weird avant gardish shit and the only designer I know is Alexandre Herchcovich and the stuff they chose to carry was ridiculous! So I went up to Topshop - it's more fun stuff but still - sucky merchandise! I was very tempted to call my sister up and drag her over to pick something for herself but she's a size 00 and everything here is BIG!!! The smallest size they carry at Top Shop is a 4! and I tried this yellow/ mixed colored dress on that was on the verge of getting runs all over it cuz it's so delicate and it was too big! Not very sexy. Anyway, after spending 2 hours trying to make up my mind between ugly and uglier - I finally chose to purchase this necklace and I decided to put out $100 of my own money... and the Nasty manager says that it's not our policy to hold anything, you don't have a receipt, I said to her it's a gift! and I'm spending my own money !!! so finally they decide to hold it for me til Friday and she didn't even give me a receipt for items returned! I had to ask her if she was going to remember me and if she was going to BE there on Friday! and the other sales boy finally asks me what my name was but that was in jest, because no one wrote anything down. This place sucks and I will never go back in there. I don't recommend it to anyone, the merchandise is ridiculous and BIG! and don't even think about buying your dear friend a present from this place! really, I wouldn't even give this place a star rating - it's more like a negative 100 star rating. Nasty attitude from the manager! Can you imagine?"
Jan 4th, 2006, 07:49 AM
GoTravel

I have not heard good things about the Top Shop in New York.

Why isn't it a stand alone store? That doesn't make sense to me. I was all excited about it until the reviews started coming in and they all echo you experience.

Jan 4th, 2006, 08:02 AM

I would suggest you take a trip into Brooklyn -- just one stop on the train -- to Williamsburg. Take the L train on 14th Street to the Bedford stop. That area is full of boutiques, vintage stores, etc. and many are reasonably priced.

I also sometimes find cheaper/sale items at the trendy boutiques on the Lower East Side in Manhattan. Yes, there's a lot that is pricey there, too.

Or pick up a copy of "the Girlshop guide to NYC shopping" (I got mine cheap at The Strand bookstore at 12th and Broadway). It lists trendy boutiques and stores by neighborhood, including a rating system letting you know which ones are (so you can go or skip, depending on your budget) the more expensive ones.
Jan 4th, 2006, 10:00 AM

Two words -- "Nolita" (the area, that is) and "sale" (as in everything in many of the boutiques is on..).
Jan 6th, 2006, 01:20 PM

I don't know if I would use the words boutiques and reasonably priced together but try Brooklyn. Other areas other than Williamsburg are Cobble Hill and Carroll Garden sections. Known for its restaurants but it also has a good number of boutiques that sell trendy clothes and feature jewelry from local designers. Try searching for Court Street and Smith Street (good eats) in those areas. It is a small area but much less crowded than the tourist areas especially SOHO. The neighborhood is also very lovely with beautiful brownstones especially in neighboring Brooklyn Heights. Walk around, eat, shop. It is really a lovely area. You can get there on the F train to Cobble Hill/Carroll Gardens or the 2,3,4,5 trains into Brooklyn Heights.

Similar, but further away is Park Slope. Tons of boutiques and cute shops especially on 5th Avenue. Also near Prospect Park and more brownstones.

if you want you can email me about specific trains that go there.

happy travels, may
Jan 13th, 2006, 01:00 PM

This is late in relation to your question but:

for nice one of a kind boutiques, the East Village - 7th, 8th, 9th, and 10th Streets between Third Avenue and Avenue A.

Many many many original designer stores as well as charming vintage stores. 9th and 7th Streets are the extreme best but it's fun to zig and zag east & west on those streets.

On 7th Street, if you like vintage costume jewelry: Fourty [sic] Fifty Sixty is amazing, between 1st and 2nd.

I second the Nolita recommendation too, though it is more expensive.

With more time, investigate Orchard Street.