Shopping in Chicago, where to go?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 9th, 2006, 02:46 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'll be in Chicago next week and plan on doing a bit of shopping. Coming from Seattle I like to hit places we don't have here.

What are some good boutiques and shops that have styles like you would find at Anthropology, Banana Republic, BCBG and women's casual designers like at Barneys.

Thanks!
Old Mar 10th, 2006, 08:32 AM
Original Poster

Can it be that no one shops in Chicago?? no way! Forgot to mention I'll be at the W City Center
Old Mar 10th, 2006, 09:03 AM

Hi stormygirl ~ Not clothing, but if I was in Chicago right now, I would head straight over to Kate Spade!

Happy shopping, hope you receive some good replies.
Tiff
Old Mar 10th, 2006, 09:55 AM

They have all those stores you mentioned, but it sounds like you're not looking for that because you have it at home.

For boutique shopping you'll need to get away from the Magnificent Mile area to the neighborhoods. Lincoln Park is good (Armitage from Sheffield to Halsted then along Halsted to Webster is a good start), and I've got Wicker Park on my list for a not-too-distant trip.

Check
http://www.urbanstyle.net/neighborho...rk/default.asp
http://www.chicagocollection.com/

for some shopping guidance.

I read a while back (over a year, I think) an article at the Chicago Tribune website about shopping in Wicker Park. it doesn't seem to be available there any more, but I saved the text on my computer (thankfully!). Here it is:

Destination: Division Street >> Diverse shop op, quick eats and style on the cheap in Wicker Park? Check!
So many stores. So little time. That's my Shoppers Lament and yours too. That means that when we find a couple hours to do a little (or a lot) of recreational shopping, we want it to fill all our needs.
My personal checklist for a great shop op goes like this:
- Hassle-free parking or an "L" stop close by.
- Variety.
- Stuff that I haven't seen all over town.
- Bargains.
- Decent food fast that's not fast food.
- Surprises.
That brings me to the five blocks of West Division Street in Wicker Park that stretch from Ashland Avenue west.
It has all of the above and it's my new favorite recommendation when people ask where to explore Chicago's bountiful shopping opportunities.
Let me run down the list for you.
I had little trouble finding an open meter (bring quarters!) on Division. And the side streets have yet to be swallowed up by those dreaded residents' only signs. Hassle-free parking? Check.
I defy you to find a more diverse shopping experience in such a short stretch. (And if you know a better one, tell me!) There's a fantastic knitting shop, cool shoe stores, vintage clothes in a rehabbed tavern, a French-themed kitchen shop and more. Variety? Check.
Leather moccasins with a heart sprouting fur on the vamp (Steelo). Funky yarn (Nina). A man's fitted pink shirt that works for a woman (me, Noir). Cargo clam diggers that complement that shirt (Public I) in a shade of bubble-gum pink the same as a raw silk, elaborately beaded vintage '60s sheath (Lilly Vallente). Stuff you won't see everywhere else? Check. Check. Check. Check. Yum. Check.
Four pairs of shoes for a total of $90. The pink pants for $29 (originally $110). The pink sheath perfect for a wedding, cocktail party or kitschy clubbing ($38). Votive candles in a scent called new mown hay ($1.75 at Tatine). Bargains? Check.
Two very fresh green salads, a slice of tasty thin-crust cheese pizza, two drinks in 20 minutes for under $20 (Pizza Metro). Good food fast. Check.
A woman preacher belting out from the New Tiberia Baptist Church, where the doors are open and the spirit drifts out to the sidewalk on a Sunday afternoon. A store that claims to be "Plywood Town" amidst the hipster boutiques. Surprises? Check.
It's not essential for a great shopping stroll but running into interesting shop owners is a lovely plus. And this stretch of cityscape has a bunch.
Generally speaking, I would not bother to cross the street for a candle shop. That is, until I found Tatine, which is named for owner Margo Breznik's late grandma. Self-taught Margo makes all her own candles in scents like sake and pink sugar. They're blended with soy to burn cleaner and longer.
Knitting is not for everyone, but it happens to be one of my crafty passions. Nina Rubin opened her spare, elegant shop, Nina, last November because she detected that there was "a need for a contemporary shop with a sense of style for experimental knitting with beautiful, unusual fibers." I'll say.
From the slab of black walnut she chose for the checkout counter to the elegant display of fantastic wools and other fibers, Nina is a total 180 from the typical crammed and cluttered knitting shop. She carries funky fibers from Japan's Habu Textiles and handmade baby booties in nubby Kelly green that you can buy or learn to make in classes held here.
Two veteran flight attendants, Jacquie Barrios and Jill Carroll, co-own Plein Aire, which opened in a strip mall four months ago. Jacquie says the goal here is "boutique shopping without sticker shock." I tried on cute khakis (so not Gap) by Jade Jeans for only $45. The target audience here (25 to 40 years old) is a little older than some of the other women's boutiques on Division, but still fashion forward.
Shopping with a reluctant fella? Park him on a couch at Steelo, a shoe shop where Detny walking shoes and pumps are designed "so your feet are not killing you," says co-owner Sundae Sirants. I leave it to you to find out where that unique first name comes from (think hot fudge).
What's better than a shoe shop? Two of them. At Pump, owner Maureen Longua Bueltmann says, "I know my customers and I know their price thresh-old, where they cap out, and that is my mission, to still fit in someone's budget." Hooray.
Don't leave Division without browsing gifts at Porte Rouge, cards at Paper Doll or clothes and accessories at Public I, Penelope's and Noir.
Tired out? Caffeine and confections at Caffe Gela-to are the perfect topper to a perfect shopping day.
- - -
The Division Street shops
NINA @ 1655 W. Division St., 773-486-8996
PUMP @ 1659 W. Division St., 773-384-6750
PIZZA METRO @ 1707 W. Division St., 773-278-1753
NOIR @ 1726 W. Division St., 773-572-6084
TATINE @ 1742 W. Division St., 773-342-1890
LILLY VALLENTE @ 1746 W. Division St., 773-645-1537
PAPER DOLL @ 1747 W. Division St., 773-227-6950
STEELO @ 1850 W. Division St., 773-227-4590
PORTE ROUGE @ 1911 W. Division St., 773-269-2800
PENELOPE'S @ 1913 W. Division St., 773-395-2351
PUBLIC I @ 1923 W. Division St., 773-772- 9088
CAFFE GELATO @ 2034 W. Division St., 773-227-7333
PLEIN AIRE @ 2036 W. Division St., 773-227-3772
Old Mar 10th, 2006, 11:22 AM

Wow, stormygirl, you really hit the motherload with jlm_mi's post!

Well done, jlm_mi!
And thank you, I am cutting and pasting for our next Chi-town visit, love that city!
Old Mar 10th, 2006, 11:26 AM
Original Poster

This is excellent and very helpful!! thank you!

(Tiff, went to KS last year while in Chicago and I'm desperately trying to stay away from shoes and bags right now! haha!)
Old Mar 10th, 2006, 11:57 AM
JJ5

As a non-shopper I'm going to print this for my non-tech and highly shopping compadres.

Thanks jlm mi.
Old Mar 10th, 2006, 02:04 PM

I'm glad you all liked the article. I hope the suggestions are good - I haven't done any of them yet.

stormygirl - If you get to Wicker Park, I'd love to hear your impressions of it!
Old Mar 10th, 2006, 02:25 PM

Don't miss Armitage Street, just west of Halsted. Great funky and unusual shops. Also, Damen Avenue has unusual boutiques. Have fun!
Old Mar 20th, 2006, 09:52 AM
Original Poster

Well I ended up with only 1 hour for shopping so I just hit Marshal Fields. But it looks like I might be headed back to Chicago in April so I really hope to check out Wicker Park then.
Old Apr 17th, 2006, 12:12 PM

Tagging this discussion. Really good info. Any comments on the Premium Outlet in Aurora just outside chicago?
Old Apr 17th, 2006, 12:17 PM

Fairly standard outlet mall, very big. Lots of upscale retailers, more so than at the Lakeside Place outlet mall in Kenosha (north of Chicago). However, I am getting a little cynical about outlet shopping, as more and more stores seem to be making stuff just for the outlets, rather than reducing prices on the stuff you might have seen in the regular store a few months previously.
Old May 11th, 2006, 08:42 AM

A recent issue of Consumer Reports (Apr '06 maybe?) had an article about outlet shopping. I think some of your cynicism, marilynl, is well-placed!

And in my view, the outlet mall in Aurora is NBD, though I found some good deals on bike stuff at the Pearl Izumi store.
Old May 12th, 2006, 06:07 PM

Haven't lived in Chicago for 5 years but I go back every year to satisfy my shopping appetite.

My favorite store is Tangerine. It's on Damen just north of North Avenue. There is also Krista K, Red Head Boutique, and Flirt (along with newer stores I haven't yet visited) on Southport just north of Cornelia. I also like Armitage between Halsted and Racine. Go to Celeste Turner, Active Endeavors, and LORI'S SHOES!!! That is the best place in the world for bags and shoes. LOVE IT. On Halsted just north of Armitage is a Banana Republic and Ann Taylor. If you go down to the Gold Coast check out Sugar Magnolia, Barney's, Anthropologie, and stores on Oak Street.

Haven't been back in a year so don't know about new places. I would say Armitage, Damen/North Avenue, and North Southport are the best for boutiques and cute shops. There are also some good boutiques on W. Division west of say Sheffield (?) with good stores but I don't remember their names. Go to www.chicago.citysearch.com for more information.