Reload this Page >

Shocked at United's prices

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 1st, 2001, 11:10 PM
Melissa

For the last couple of weeks, I've been pricing a round trip from Honolulu to Atlanta. It was holding at around $650 for the dates I want. My friends told me to hold on--the planes are empty and prices should go down to encourage travel.

Well, today I checked again and the same dates I wanted will cost me $1050!!! What gives? I thought the travel industry was supposed to ENCOURAGE us to fly?!

Old Oct 2nd, 2001, 03:51 AM
joan

Melissa,
Are you a member of AAA? The same price hike happened to me. I was watching Tampa to Cancun, waiting for $500 fare, then it went from $550 to $650. I called AAA on another matter, and figured I'd check on their air prices, never expecting what I heard next: they had "consolidator's" tickets for $450 pp on Delta! I booked immediately.

Give it a try - who knows?

Old Oct 2nd, 2001, 04:05 AM
John

Remember that there is LESS CAPACITY out there than a month ago. Most major airlines are operating 80% of their flights. Those flights are starting to fill up, too...load factors are increasing every day. Finally, I've read in several places that airline execs feel that security and not price is the issue. There was an overwhelming attitude among CEOs that folks would fly again when they felt comfortable, not when it was dirt cheap.

Old Oct 2nd, 2001, 04:14 AM
Louis

The security is better than before 09/11/01. Cost and comfort were the hot issues then.

I will fly when they lower the high prices!

Old Oct 2nd, 2001, 08:03 AM
Sam

Flying is pretty darn cheap now. In 1978, I used to pay $250 roundtrip from Dallas to Washington. It's less than that now! Factor in the value of the dollar and you realize how amazing this is.

Old Oct 2nd, 2001, 08:33 AM
Owen O'Neill

It's not limited to United. nearly all the carriers had lower prices for a week or two but all have started to go back up depending on demand. I regularly check prices from Newark - fares to New Orleans went from $163 to $230 in a week's time. At the same time, fares to Chicago and seattle remained low (lower than they were prior to Sept. 11). I must assume that it's back to supply and demand - they'll charge what they can get away with on certain routes.

Old Oct 2nd, 2001, 08:42 AM
L

Hey, folks, but why don't you do what you did before the 11th ... keep watching internet for the sales and bargains? We need to recover and dust off our old skills ... and isn't it refreshing to hear someone complain again about airline fares? Yesterday I checked DC to Atlanta in December ... what a steal at almost $600. And I'd been saying such nice things about US Airways recently. I mean, Wolf is actually managing the thing rather than trying to sell it every week. Lets hope those fares come down real soon. But I'm going to fly regardless ... I'll look at it as a supplement to the $15B we're already giving. Ciao

Old Oct 2nd, 2001, 08:49 AM
Sarah

1050 is standard for a flight from Newark to Honolulu at least for the last two years. Everyone should be thinking about bidding. I can't believe the airlines can accept aid and then offer bucket prices. I bid and purchased EWR(Newark) to Honolulu (HNL) for 487 Aug.00 and 687 Aug 01. The over the counter fares were 1050 and 1200 respectively. The trick is to bid without accepting a ridiculous amount of stop overs. When they don't accept your bid first they ask you to do this a second time. I suggest going back a week or so later or going to another bid sight. You should not have to give up the most direct route because you are learning how to low ball .

Old Oct 2nd, 2001, 10:28 AM
lili

i still see honolulu-atlanta at $638 rt, did you check the yahoo cheap fares?

Old Oct 2nd, 2001, 10:29 AM
lili

also, if your time of the day is flexible, try priceline

Old Oct 2nd, 2001, 10:37 AM
J T Kirk

Methinks me smells Opportunists, and they are called The Airlines!!!!

Old Oct 2nd, 2001, 12:00 PM
Melissa

Thanks you guys! I am actually a novice on bidding for air fares. Still doing it in the old fashioned ways. I realize that the capacity is much less than before 9/11, but, jeez! I guess I expected the fares at face value to be better, not worse! President Bush is telling everyone to travel, and then what?? We won't have any money to spend when we get to our destinations!

Fares from Hawaii to other destinations are not supposed to be as bad. Everyone wants to come here, not so many want to leave. I can fly to Newark for about $800 usually. Isn't this crazy, though? I am still just so shocked!

Old Oct 2nd, 2001, 04:11 PM
ldsant

United just came out with their efares and specials to and from Hawaii. You may want to check it out at http://ual.com - click on Special Fares. There were some that were $450 round trip to and from NYC.

Old Oct 8th, 2001, 07:11 AM
vicki

Melissa:

Hoped you have checked airfares recently. Many airlines(including Delta) are offering round trip airfares to Hawaii for $389 plus applicable taxes.