Sheraton Kauai Timeshare Presentation

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 6th, 2008, 11:32 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are going in May for a bargain basement price, but I am dreading the "presentation" we will need to endure.

Anyone done one lately? How bad was it? It's not mandatory, but I think we get an extra $100 hotel credit if we go.

My husband is impervious to all sales people and never buys anything under pressure, I just sit and smile placidly.

2 hours of our lives in trade for free food and beer. hmm...
Old Mar 6th, 2008, 04:04 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
My friend & her husband just did one in Dec. at the Westin Hanalei. They loved the resort and ended up buying in.

Just see how you feel. I don't think the timeshare people in Hawaii are as bad as the guys in Mexico. We've had bad experiences in PV & Cabo.

MY
Old Mar 7th, 2008, 02:22 PM

We have done a few in the past and they last about 90 minutes and you get "goodies". We make sure that at the 90 minute mark, we are out the there. Most of the time when we talk to the sales people and they find out that we have a timeshare in Hawaii and only paid $1000 for it they know they are not going to sell us a $14,000+ timeshare at their property so the pressure is off.
Old Mar 8th, 2008, 06:58 AM

Gigib, are u staying at the Sheraton in Kauai? Is that suppose to be the upscale place to stay?We're still checking out accommodations but probably doing B&B's. (In May also; 1 week Kauai then 1 week Maui).

Beth, how the heck did u get a TS for $1k!! When did you buy it?

Our neighbors bought one at the Hyatt or Marriot on Maui (same group owns both)and have already re-couped 30% of the purchase price in 3 years w/ re-rentals. I thought that they paid something like $21k and have re-couped $7k in rentals.
Cheers!
Pete & Wendy

Old Mar 9th, 2008, 10:26 AM

To Pete1222....it is called EBay! We bought it three years ago on Christmas Eve. I couldn't believe it either but it is a nice place (nothing fancy) for under $1000.
Old Mar 10th, 2008, 11:16 AM
Original Poster

To Pete1222, I understand that the Sheraton is an older hotel and is being remodeled, but the location is great. I figure they'll give us the worst room, but the PRICE! $649 total for 2 people for 5 nights hotel, a car and a $100 resort credit.

We aren't even considering buying a TS, so we'll think about giving up 90 mins. of Kauai time.
Old Mar 10th, 2008, 02:04 PM

gigib, that's totally a great deal!
Congrats!
pete
Old Mar 18th, 2008, 11:11 PM

All,
I am staying at the Sheraton Kauai right now using the same deal that gigib mentioned: $679 for five nights' hotel, $100 rental car credit and $100 onsite credit. The room we have is actually pretty nice, although it is in the Garden Wing and not (of course!) on the beach (they offered us beachside for an additional $125 per night).

The presentation is, as gigib mentioned, optional, and yes, you do get an additional $100 credit to sit through 90 minutes. It doesn't sound too painful, but it's not worth it for me.

The Sheraton is a nice property, and our room has already been remodeled. The staff here is amazing - very friendly to everyone.
Old Mar 19th, 2008, 10:39 AM

gigib: We have done many time share presentation over the years, including three in Hawaii. Believe me, the salesmen in Hawaii are much less relentless than the ones in Florida, Colorado, and Las Vegas. Only one of the Hawaii salesmen grumped at us for wasting his time. All of them accepted our decisions not to buy and promptly gave us our discount coupons. The discounts were well worth the loss of a couple hours of our vacation time.
Old Apr 21st, 2008, 04:48 AM

How do you get this deal? At the Sheraton, Kauai.

Old Apr 21st, 2008, 06:31 AM

is this at the sheraton in princeville or poipu?
Old Apr 21st, 2008, 04:37 PM

ttt
Old Apr 21st, 2008, 05:40 PM

"My friend & her husband just did one in Dec. at the Westin Hanalei. They loved the resort and ended up buying in."

This is exactly the kind of people they are hoping for -- and often get. Despite most people convinced they won't buy, these sales people are amazingly well trained and very good. Let's see in a few years if Michelle's friends are still as happy with their purchase as they were at the time, cast under the spell of the place while on a magical vacation. After future assessments, being unable to trade for when you want, or unable to go for your actual week or weeks, thousands of people cut their losses on their timeshares and walk away smarter.
yes, I know some people still love them, but most have not calculated how much they have really cost them compared to other travel.

I think one of the funniest gimmicks is the sales people saying things like "this $600 a night place can be yours for a week every year for only ____" without evening mentioning that you could probably pick up someone's week on RedWeek or other place for a third of that anyway, and not also be paying the finance charges or the annual fees or maintenance.
Old Apr 21st, 2008, 06:27 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Patrick:

I agree. I thought they were crazy, considering how much they paid for it. Although, I hope they ask me to come along sometime!

my
Old Apr 21st, 2008, 06:30 PM

The best reason to talk friends into going is so that you can get their rental when they can't go. I have mother/daughter friends who bought a timeshare week at Manhattan Club in NYC. It got too expensive for them to go, and they were about to lose two nights one year, so they let us use it for free. Nice perk. They have sure regretted their purchase!
Old Apr 21st, 2008, 06:53 PM

can anyone answer my question?
how can u get this rate in Kauai?
(hotel). I can sit thru that presentation...
Old Apr 21st, 2008, 07:20 PM
dmlove

It got too expensive for them to go,

Well, then, it likely was too expensive for them to go anywhere, where they'd have to ALSO pay for accommodations. We have figured out the effective cost of ours, and have never (8 years) regretted the purchase.

Sorry beachkomer, but although we've been offered this deal several times (Marriott and Westin, I have no idea how you go about getting one.

Old Apr 21st, 2008, 07:20 PM

Go to tug2.net
Old Apr 21st, 2008, 08:08 PM

I bought a timeshare in Hawaii. While not the dumbest thing I've ever done, it was right up there among the dumbest. The yearly maintenance fee--or whatever it was called--kept going up, and then the company wanted another $2000 (and this was when $2000 was some real money!) to upgrade.

During the company's spiel, it all looked very good, but after a couple of years, the places started to show some wear and tear.

I finally just let it go. When we wanted to go to Hawaii, a friend and I would instead rent a two-bedroom condo that was much more satisfactory to us. The condo didn't really save much money in the long run, either.
Old Apr 21st, 2008, 08:29 PM

Here's a tip for surviving the timeshare presentations: check out the resort you'll be visiting on eBay and/or RedWeek.com to see what they are currently selling and renting for. That will help you stay in control of the sales presentation. As an above poster said, why pay $15k for something that can be had for pennies on the dollar.

And don't believe any of the goodies they try to promise you if you buy from them instead of on the secondary market. They will never materialize.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -