Shenendoah Valley Area

Search

Shenendoah Valley Area

Search this Thread

Old Jan 20th, 2007, 04:40 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Shenendoah Valley Area

We're planning a trip to VA in mid-May. One of the days we'll start w/Mt. Vernon then into Manassas ending that night at the Skyline Drive. The next day to be a full day in the Nat'l Park and the following day we'd start heading east towards Charlottesville, etc.

Would it make sense to stay both nights at one of the lodges on Skyline Drive or stay the first night in Front Royal/Strasburg(?) and then the second somewhere at the end of the Drive?

If not the lodges, would really prefer a B&B type. Any suggestions? Thanks!!
Old Jan 20th, 2007, 05:52 AM

Different places along the drive.
Old Jan 20th, 2007, 06:37 AM

One thing we need to know before we answer your question -- how much hiking do you intend to do in Shenandoah? If very little, then Skyline Drive can be done in a day; and it only makes sense to stay just outside the park. If you're planning hikes to the falls and some of the overlooks, then staying inside the park makes more sense.
Old Jan 20th, 2007, 07:36 AM

I always prefer to stay IN a Nat'l Park when possible. Gives an experience that seems more enriched than when just traveling through. The room we stayed in at Big Meadows was rustic in that it had no tv or phone. But that led us to go to the tap room and listen to the music - much better than sitting in the room watching the same old things!
Old Jan 20th, 2007, 07:41 AM

A vote for staying in the Park, at the same place. You can avoid some of the boredom by hitting Rte. 81 to speed the drive to FRONT Royal or back. 20 miles or 2 segments of the Drive is my limit.
Old Jan 20th, 2007, 09:13 AM

I would stay both nights in the park. Skyland Hotel/Lodge is not that far from Front Royal. It's not lavish, but it has a restaurant and music, at least during the times we've been there. Most of the rooms have a back door and window leading to a beautiful view of the valley.

You could either stay at Skyland the next night or move south to Big Meadows or the other lodge (can't remember the name right now). To me, staying in the park is like being in another world for a few days.
Old Jan 20th, 2007, 09:26 AM

Stay in the park... it is a great park. Very underrated, in my opinion.

There are lots of neat places near the park, or just outside the park in towns like Luray. It will give you a feel of experience the park in a different way. Plus, if my memory is correct, there aren't alot of great places to stay in Front Royal... not a destination type of city at all.

If all you are going to do is drive and stop at a few lookouts, then you'll finish the drive quickly. But I'd strongly recommend some hiking. There are several loops that are relatively flat, only take about 30 minutes, but offer great scenery. There are other, more challenging hikes that can be a trip highlight, like climbing Old Rag.
Old Jan 20th, 2007, 01:47 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the responses - I just made a reservation at Big Meadows in one of the 'terrace' rooms in the main lodge. Supposed to have terrific valley views.

Does anyone know if we would be better off with a "view" in the Rapidan Building or if there's any type of "noise" problem staying in the main lodge?

Thanks again!