Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Shenandoah National Park - a whole week?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 24th, 2002, 08:09 AM
SZ

My husband and I (mid-30s, novice hikers) have the opportunity to spend a week in a timeshare at Massanutten Resort in Virginia.

Here's the question: is a whole week too long? I've done some research and am definitely interested in hiking in Shendandoah National Park, driving along Skyline Drive, going to Luray Caverns and visiting Monticello.

Are there enough hikes to keep us busy for 3 days? How does the scenery compare to, say, the Green Mountains in Vermont? We're thinking of going in late September/early October -- will we be overwhelmed with "leaf peepers?"
From what I've read it seems like a lovely area -- I'm just not sure we won't exhaust all the possibilities after 5 days or so. Thoughts? Thanks in advance!

Old Mar 24th, 2002, 11:03 AM
Susan

My husband and I had a very nice weekend there once, but a week for me would be too long. Of course, there is the argument that it doesn't matter where you are if you enjoy the company...

Old Mar 25th, 2002, 07:28 AM
Sandra

SZ - I spend some time there a few years ago staying at Big Meadow Lodge and there is lots of hiking in Shenandoah. The AT goes right thru it and hiking a portion of the Appalachian Trail was great. We also did a day hike to a "camp" that had been the summer white house for Pres. Hoover. If I recall there were a couple of hikes to waterfalls also. The trip to Luray Caverns took most of a day - the ride there and then the tour of the caverns - stop for lunch etc. I think you'll have enough to do to fill a week -especially if you want to hike a few days.

I was there in the spring (just missed the mountain laurel) but I would imagine its like the Green Mts in Vt. the mountains were rounded not like the Whites in NH - very pretty with a haze most days that gave them a dream like quality.

I would imagine the traffice on Skyline Drive would be heavier in Sept. than when we were there - could you do that part during the week rather than a weekend??

I've always wanted to go back and do/see more. So I'd recommend getting a hiking book and just go for it.

Old Mar 26th, 2002, 05:10 AM
SZ

Thanks for the replies. A friend who used to live in Virgina told me we could spend a week there -- "but it would be a very mellow week." Since we live in NYC that seems pretty appealing!

Now, about those caves in Luray -- how commercial are they? Do they have colored lights and things like that, or are they more rustic? We'll probably go regardless -- just wanted to know what to expect.

Old Mar 26th, 2002, 05:22 AM
Chris

Luray Caverns will be a cool visit. It's a little commercial -- the singing organ for example -- but by and large it's totally awesome and amazing. It's freaky that you are descending so deeply underground, and some of the vistas are astonishing. Don't miss it.

Old Mar 26th, 2002, 08:57 AM
Judy

Ditto above reply - Luray Caverns was one of the highlights of our Virginia trip.