shave ice

Old Jan 12th, 2004, 03:56 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
shave ice

OK, let's talk about shave ice. It sounds so WIERD and yet is evidently a MUST. Tell me your favorite place to get this delicacy on Maui and Kauai. Also, give me some flavor combo ideas. Mahalo
Old Jan 12th, 2004, 06:33 PM

There's a little hole in the wall in Paia that I liked but I can't remember the name....you'll find it. My fave is the classic, strawberry with vanilla ice cream in the bottom. If you come to Honolulu, I like Waiola Store's shave ice in Mango or Melon or Strawberry Cream. Out on the north shore I prefer Aoki's to Matsumoto's.
Old Jan 12th, 2004, 06:40 PM

Having been born and raised on Maui, during the summer months, Shave Ice is a must and a treat! Any reason why you think it's weird??

The place mentioned by Melissa is on your left as you enter Paia, but I can't remember the name either. It's sooo good with ice cream on the bottom, and I love either vanilla/coconut or if they have it coke/coconut. Strawberry is kind of a classic flavor that most people get, but there are more adventurous(sp?) flavors available.
Old Jan 12th, 2004, 07:59 PM

shave ice is just a better version of what's called a sno cone on the mainland. At a good shave ice place the ice is smooth, not crunchy and you get your choice of wonderful syrups- often custom made. I like strawberry/vanilla syrup and vanilla ice cream.
Old Jan 13th, 2004, 03:57 AM

Jo Jo's on Kauai....after a day of hiking Waimea, it can't be beat!
Old Jan 13th, 2004, 04:30 AM
iceeu2

I second Jojo's on Kauai. They were closed the first time we were there so we just walked around for 15-20 mins. So glad we did too...it is wonderful. I don't remember the flavor of the syrup, but I know I did have macadamia nut ice cream on the bottom.
Also, had shave ice from a little place in Hanalei that was absolutely no comparison.

Old Jan 13th, 2004, 04:56 AM

Here's another for vote for JoJo's! Very good! Others don't even come close.
Old Jan 13th, 2004, 05:21 AM

The place in Pa'ia is called Aloha Shave Ice and it's great. In Kihei try Local Boy. In both cases I got Mango, Passionfruit, Guava...fruit flavors over vanilla ice cream. To die for!!!!
Old Jan 13th, 2004, 05:28 AM
Original Poster

Anna, I guess it seemed weird to me because it sounds like a snowcone on top of ice cream. The snowcones here are chunky with thick sweet syrups on them (usually sickeningly sweet) so I know that's not the same as the true shave ice. Then I began to think of the possible flavor combinations of the syrup plus ice cream and it blew my mind! I will definitely try JoJo's. Anyone else have a flavor combination that they really liked? I'm curious what shave ice flavor went on top of that macadmia nut icecream!
Old Jan 13th, 2004, 07:06 AM

Local Boys in Kihei - yummy shaved ice with coconut ice cream. Westin or Marriott on Kaanapali Beach also has really fruity style shaved Ice.. Also try fresh pineapple smoothies at the Sheraton at Black Rock too.
Old Jan 13th, 2004, 09:32 AM

JoJo's in Kauai! MMMMM. We also had shave ice at the famous saimin place in Lihue--can't remember the name--it wasn't as good.

I too thought the combo of ice cream and "snowcone" sounded gross at first--so I got my shave ice without ice cream for a while. Then, in Kauai, I tried it with ice cream just for kicks. YUM--it's not gross at all! BTW, I had mac nut ice cream with cherry and orange syrup on top. My hubby liked root beer syrup with vanilla ice cream.
Old Jan 13th, 2004, 04:35 PM

JoJo's wins this one hands down. They must have 50 different flavor combinations on the board that you can choose from. You have to get it with mac nut ice cream, my favorite was pina colada and strawberry daiquiri flavor with the haupia sauce on top. YUM! My husband has been dreaming about this shave ice since we were there last Sept. and we're going back this May.
Old Jan 13th, 2004, 05:01 PM

I know you asked about shaved ice in Hawaii but I have to tell you that we have a great shaved ice place in Williamsburg. Favorite flavors at Sno-to-go are Frog in a Blender (green with red) and creamsicle (orange with vanilla ice cream). Can't wait until it opens again for the season.
Old Jan 17th, 2004, 05:46 PM

Excellent inquiry. As a food writer, I must research this subject, thanks to your question.

I can just give you my impressions, for now. Japanese steel had excellent cutting qualities, as was seen in their swords and gardening equipment. Similarly, the steel was unexcelled in the shaving of ice for cold refreshments, superior to any other culture.

The light,fine ice-powder would quickly accept flavored syrups and instantly produce a cold refreshment that would literally melt in your mouth.

Sno-cones could not accomplish that because of the coarse texture.

My favorite combination is shaved ice with ice cream and azuke beans. The cream and beans are sweetness and textural counterpoints to the shaved ice. As Emeril and Ming Tsai would say, layers of flavor.

The syrup? Vanilla and banana. Heaven!
Old Jan 19th, 2004, 11:56 AM

My naieve shave ice palate was quite favorably impressed by the shave ice/ice cream on the bottom combination of the Kauai sunset offered from a van at Wishing Well Shave Ice in Hanalei

Mahalo crazy4HI, for the query, we'll have to check out JoJo's on our next visit