Search

Sharks in Maui

Search this Thread

Old Nov 22nd, 2002, 01:44 PM
Kodi

Sharks in Maui

I was just wondering how safe the waters are to swim in Maui. I just heard of a couple shark attacks and I didn't think that they came that close into shore. We really wanted to do some snorkeling. Will it be safe?

Old Nov 22nd, 2002, 02:20 PM
Christina

No place in the middle of the ocean is safe from sharks, but if you stick to a an area where multiple people are snorkeling..then you should be fine.

You can't worry about stuff like this. Plus how many people a year actually get eaten by sharks. You neighbors dog is more likely to maul you to death.

Relax..have fun...enjoy Maui!

Old Nov 22nd, 2002, 02:36 PM
sharkey

I would be more concerned about driving around the islands than swimming in the ocean. There are many car fatalities from distracted drivers, alcohol & drugs, and just plain crazy people behind the wheel. Buckle up, drive defensively, and don't worry about sharks!

Old Nov 22nd, 2002, 04:59 PM
ttt

top it off

Old Nov 22nd, 2002, 05:27 PM
seadoggy

hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm. let me see now??..ahh. two attacks, divided by, lets say,,,what?? 50,000 people in the water between those two attacks,,,that's 1 in 25,000...
So?? how safe..your call....

Old Nov 22nd, 2002, 07:39 PM
bubba

Lot's of sharks & drunks, I say you better play it safe and go to Vegas.

Old Nov 22nd, 2002, 07:53 PM
lee

No sharks or drunks in Vegas, eh?

Old Nov 22nd, 2002, 08:32 PM
jaws

Sharks?Sharks in Hawaii?No way man,We sharks would never chew on a tourist.Most mainlanders don't know but we sharks get a 6.6% kickback from the resorts for leaving the tourists alone.
The shark in question has been banned from most shark activities.

Old Nov 24th, 2002, 12:10 PM
SG

Actually most shark attacks happen in 3 ft of water. They say you have a greater chance of being killed by a falling coconut. That just makes me scared of trees ; ) I usually hear of something about once a month. There are so many people in the water though. I guess the chance isn't that great. I still stick to the pool.

Old Nov 25th, 2002, 06:45 AM
Suzie

I was in Maui when the woman was bitten by the shark off the Kaanapali Beach area. Word was that it was a tiger shark and that she was swimming about 200 yards from the shore. People were discouraged from swimming in the ocean for a few days but by Thurs 11/21 everyone had forgotten about it.

Old Nov 25th, 2002, 07:59 AM
Nova

Most shark attacks happen in three feet of water not because that is where the sharks usually hang out but because that is where the people usually hang out !