Shady business practices - Oxford Inn in Oxford, MD

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 13th, 2005, 09:01 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

DO NOT go to the Oxford Inn. This place seems to be a quaint, Mom and Pop Inn and restaurant, but they are as slick as they come. I sent them cancellation notices (Twice) in writing to cancel my original honeymoon plans. They still charged me a no-show fee of the full amount for 2 nights (which wasn't cheap) and denied ever receiving BOTH written confirmations. So, for you brides looking for a smooth sailing experience for your potential honeymoon or wedding venue, you'll be tempted by this place b/c it's pretty and charming, but save your time and energy - go to the Robert Morris Inn, if you must be in Oxford. They are more money, but take it from me, I wish I had dealt with them from the beginning. Stay away from the Oxford Inn. Good luck with your planning!
Old Sep 13th, 2005, 09:08 AM

You need to accept some responsibility for not getting a written confirmation of your cancellation from them.

Old Sep 13th, 2005, 09:11 AM

Besides the Robert Morris Inn has the best crabcakes I have ever tasted
Old Sep 13th, 2005, 09:19 AM

If you paid by credit card, you can contest the charges through the credit card company.
Old Sep 13th, 2005, 09:29 AM

I am always curious about folks who register and post solely to say "such-and-such a place runs a scam" or "cheated me"

Not that the story isn't true - but I personally would not hunt out new forums to just slam a place.

derryanddonnan - IF you did cancel in writing you have either a copy of the e-mails or the letters you sent. Why did you cancel twice by the way??? Did you think the first one didn't arrive? If you have proof you did send cancellations and contest the charge on your credit card - the cc will take care of it.
Old Sep 13th, 2005, 10:08 AM
Original Poster

Thanks Howard R. I have contested through Amex and they have been incredibly helpful and responsive. So has the BBB.
Old Sep 13th, 2005, 10:19 AM

Do you ever follow-up your written notices?
Old Sep 13th, 2005, 10:24 AM

Mike, if this is important for me, yes, at least I call to confirm it was received.

In a week I'm going to a hotel without a written confirmation - probably fax didn't work properly. I got the confirmation number over the phone.
Old Sep 13th, 2005, 10:30 AM

janis:
I always wonder the same thing about this type of post. There seems to be more and more of them on Fodors. Seems fishy.
Old Sep 13th, 2005, 10:45 AM
Original Poster

Not quite sure what the "fishy" talk is all about. Anyway, no Mike I never followed up with a phone call. I guess hindsight is 20/20. But, the proprietor was incredibly defensive and talked himself into a corner by telling me he "checked emails all of the time". This is obviously not the case! I wanted to share this lesson learned with others about this particular establishment. That is why this forum exists - to help and share good and bad travel-related experiences. I know I've learned from my mistake!
Old Sep 13th, 2005, 10:49 AM

I am not sayin who's right who's wrong, just want to let you all know - an e-mail is not a legally binding document (yet). Fax is.
Old Sep 13th, 2005, 11:01 AM

post a report on tripadviser.com
Old Sep 13th, 2005, 11:02 AM
Original Poster

Excellent. Thanks for the advice greenfieldhunter.
Old Sep 13th, 2005, 11:07 AM

Not that this is the case here, but I think the "fishy" comment stems from the fact that sometimes people will threaten with negative feedback in a public forum if they don't get their way (even if it involves making up a story to make another person/organization look bad just to get what they want). I know this happens on ebay - people make unreasonable demands then threaten with negative feedback if you don't comply even if it wasn't part of the original agreement.

Again, not saying that happened here, just some insight.
Old Sep 13th, 2005, 12:15 PM

Another explanation of the "fishy" comments. Say you actually own or have friends who own, etc. the Robert Morris Inn, and then you come here posting a fake post bashing their competition in town and saying to go there instead. It's wrong, and people don't take kindly to it. Like snowrooster, I'm not saying that you're doing that. But people will find it strange that you come to this site and ONLY post your experience with this one place as your first post. In fact, in two places, one of which isn't really related to the inns at all (but to their crabcakes).

Whether or not you are completely legitimate with your postings, it looks strange, and that's why people commented. Hopefully you'll become a regular contributor here and will prove them wrong.
Old Sep 13th, 2005, 12:16 PM

The faux negative feedback is a concern, but I have no problem with people posting bad experiences here with hotels, restaurants, etc. If nothing else, they alert people to be diligent about confirmations and reservations.
Old Sep 13th, 2005, 12:29 PM
Original Poster

I had no idea people had enough time to post "fake" postings. I am admittedly very hot about the treatment from the Oxford Inn, primarily b/c of how they spoke to me when I called to ask why they had charged my credit card. Very argumentative and unfriendly, and he changed his story several times. While I wish I had a stake in The Robert Morris Inn, and I do like their crabcakes, I have no ties to them. But that's really the only other game in Oxford. Unless you want to drive back to Easton and stay there, which is a lovely option. We had originally reserved a room at the Tidewater Inn in Easton prior to booking at the Oxford Inn.

My husband and I are always looking for tips and tricks for traveling so, now I know about this place, I'll be back for sure. But I'll stand by my story about the Oxford Inn to anyone who asks. And I hope others will learn from it. It really is a beautiful little place, and without a doubt we would have been repeat customers if this man would have said "we really don't check the email account - sorry you were mislead." I would have happily sucked up the lost cost and moved on with my life!
Old Sep 13th, 2005, 12:30 PM

j_999_9,

I would agree that the heads up helps. A better way to say it would have been: "I messed up and failed to get written confirmation - I joined this discussion group to help others learn from my negligence and to be more diligent".
Old Sep 13th, 2005, 01:02 PM

I agree that this site should the both the positive and negative and we all take from those posts what we will. Maybe Derry people are a little suspicious because you have only posted on two threads...both about your stay in Oxford. That does not make you a liar..but we all these days have to take comments with a pinch of salt until we get to know the poster a little better.
Old Sep 13th, 2005, 01:02 PM
Original Poster

If their website clearly advertised an email address, and I used it, I wouldn't constitute that as a "mess up" or negligence on my part. I think the missing piece is their lack of a stated policy that all cancellations must be phoned in directly to the Inn.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -