Reload this Page >

SF/Wine Country - Where to start?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 16th, 1999, 10:21 AM
Colleen

My husband and I are planning a trip to SF and Napa/Sonoma in the beginning of October for 8 days. Should we do either one first? Is Union Square the best area to stay? (PS: we are not wealthy travellers!). Also, is Sonoma better than Napa? or vise versa?
Colleen

Old Jul 16th, 1999, 10:32 AM
martha python

Are you plannig on buying wine? If so, do Napa and Sonoma last so you don't have to haul it back to SF and trip over it in your hotel room.
I don't know that Napa or Sonoma is better, exactly. A lot of people think Sonoma is more down to earth and less crowded, but Napa then part of the reason Napa is crowded is that so many good winemakers are there, so it may be worth it to brave the crowds (or it may not). It depends on why you're going there.
If you need to save $$$ in SF, be sure to check out prices at quikbook and 180096hotel (both have Web sites). Also, Travelweb posts "Click It" weekend rates each Monday for that weekend.

Old Jul 16th, 1999, 11:16 AM
Beth

I think I would plan to be in the Wine Country during the week, and the city on the weekend. The crowds in Napa would beless during the week, and you are more likely to find interesting nightlife in SF on the weekend.

I like both Napa and Sonoma, can't say if one is better than the other. Sonoma is definitely a little more laid back and charming. But I wouldn't have skipped Napa because so many of my favorite wineries are there. We had wonderful private tours, and some very nice public tours in both places. We bought outstanding wines in both places. I think Napa has more inn's and restaurants, so thats where we stayed.

Old Jul 16th, 1999, 11:36 AM
ca

We did SF, Napa, Sonoma, & Mendocino for our honeymoon years ago. We ambled along enjoying what was special to each locale. There's a uniqueness to each place: SF is cosmopolitan and fast paced. Lots of stores, the Wharf, unique neighborhoods, museums, etc. The food is outstanding. I could do a page just on restaurants, but as others have mentioned....do a search here! Napa has wineries and great restaurants and a lovely warm climate in summer. Oct. 8 is just the cusp of Fall here and not yet a "colorchange" in the leaves in Calif. Sonoma has a lovely town square with merchants like antique shops, old books, restaurants, a pub, and a lovely chic dress shop right there. Mendocino and the Russian River, for that matter (check a map) is more rustic and even a bit "hippie", if I may. We rented a motel with a fireplace and a view of the ocean there. You can even stay up at Sea Ranch (rentals via the town of Gualala) and stay in someones complete rental home. They are all "naturalized into the environment with strict regs on how the homes must integrate into the meadow or hillside there. Lots to think about! Ride the Skunk Train? See the Russian Fort? Just hang out looking at tidepools and otters? Very romantic. My husband made points with this one.

Old Jul 16th, 1999, 11:57 AM
marilyn

You've got some good tips here, including doing the city on weekends and the country midweek. I like Sonoma's atmosphere better than Napa's, but I'm not really a wine afficionado--more interested in the beauriful countryside, etc. We stayed in the town of Sonoma, and Healdsburg is nice too. You might check out Mendocino if you have time, the atmosphere is totally different. I like to stay nearer the Embarcadero in the Financial District in San Francisco because there seem to be fewer street people.