SF to Seattle in November

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 22nd, 2019, 06:46 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Texan here - I’m headed to SF the week before Thanksgiving for a conference. With that, I was considering taking the following week off, renting a car and driving to Seattle. Stopping at various places along the way. Few questions, I think my biggest concern is weather. Rain wouldn’t bother me but in reading past posts, I see there could be mudslides and snow. Is it worth being concerned about? Safety is also something I’ve thought about. 30 something, woman driving either solo or with one other person. Any tips?
Old Aug 22nd, 2019, 07:38 PM
Forum Moderator

Moved to the United States Forum
Old Aug 22nd, 2019, 07:44 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
You've omitted a pretty significant detail . . . are you just driving SF to Seattle - OR - are you intending to drive round trip back to SF?? Makes a huge difference. One way will be a little rushed (assuming the weather cooperates)but doable - round trip would be crazy making.

Also -- what sorts of things do you want to see and do - Redwoods, beaches, mountains, Portland, whatever - and how much time in Seattle?
Old Aug 22nd, 2019, 07:49 PM
Original Poster

Yes, right. Sorry first time posting. I would drive there and fly home from Seattle. The key things would be wineries, national parks, Portland and Seattle. No set time on any of these stops. In total I think I’ll have Saturday to Sunday, so 9 days, fly home Monday.
Old Aug 22nd, 2019, 09:52 PM

Take US 101 north to Crescent City. That will take you through the redwoods, which are a combination of state and national parks. From Crescent City take US 199 to Medford. From there others might be able to suggest wineries to visit. Crater Lake might be iffy in that season.
Old Aug 22nd, 2019, 10:31 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
>> national parks
Old Aug 23rd, 2019, 05:58 AM

Received 17 Likes on 4 Posts
Take the Amtrak bus from one of several locations in San Francisco over to Emeryville (Oakland?) to get the Coast Starlight north to Portland. You will see a lot of nice scenery from Klamath Falls northward in Oregon without having to drive through it. Rent a car in Portland to go to Seattle and at least part of coastal Oregon.
See either Mt. Hood (Oregon) or Mt. Rainier (Washington) if there is not snow already. See the waterfalls (at least Multnomah) in the Columbia Gorge east of Portland.
If you are traveling solo, one night in coach is not too bad on an Amtrak train. Fly home from Portland without the expense of a one way car rental.
Old Aug 23rd, 2019, 06:12 AM

Received 79 Likes on 8 Posts
As long as you're okay with driving in the wet, it can be a pleasant drive. Stick to the coast; while there's little chance of wintry weather along the I-5 corridor, it can be chilly (maybe snowy) over the Siskiyou mountains on the California-Oregon border, and overnight black ice on some of the low passes in southern Oregon can also be treacherous.

Take your time through the redwoods and along the southern Oregon coast, as far as Bandon at least, or, if the weather's okay, consider going all the way to Astoria and Cape Disappointment at the (awesome) mouth of the Columbia River, then follow the north shore of the river into Portland.

You shouldn't have trouble with accommodations, so you can really play things by ear. If the forecast is okay, stick to the coast, or, similarly, if the weather in the Willamette Valley is decent, you might consider routing through the Oregon wine country (centered on the town of McMinnville) if that interests.

Remember that daylight hours will be short, so if the weather's rainy or stormy on the coast, be prepared for long nights in front of the TV in a motel room. If it's really lousy, I might consider hustling north and dedicating more time to the cities of Portland and Seattle, where there are plenty of local excursions you could take when the weather breaks, however briefly. Google Multnomah Falls (Portland) and Snoqualmie Falls (Seattle) and note that taking ferries across Puget Sound can be a delightful experience even in gloomy weather. For a high-speed but doable route, have a look at the places on this map - https://goo.gl/maps/nXbo6Pw4vkHE9YVU9 You could get to Portland with two or three nights on the road, then take your time in the Portland and Puget Sound regions.

Note Mts. Hood and Rainier are probably off the table. In the case of Rainier, the National Park Service requires cars to carry chains, and rental companies don't allow it. Both volcanoes are likely to be socked in with clouds and snow, anyway.
Old Aug 24th, 2019, 12:11 AM

Originally Posted by Gardyloo
Note Mts. Hood and Rainier are probably off the table. In the case of Rainier, the National Park Service requires cars to carry chains, and rental companies don't allow it. Both volcanoes are likely to be socked in with clouds and snow, anyway.
I can't speak for Mt Rainier, but there are multiple ways to get up to Mt Hood without driving. The easiest is to park in Sandy and take the Mount Hood Express. Have a look:

https://traveloregon.com/things-to-d...ation-mt-hood/
Old Aug 24th, 2019, 08:05 AM

Originally Posted by Vetters
Texan here - I’m headed to SF the week before Thanksgiving for a conference. With that, I was considering taking the following week off, renting a car and driving to Seattle. Stopping at various places along the way. Few questions, I think my biggest concern is weather. Rain wouldn’t bother me but in reading past posts, I see there could be mudslides and snow. Is it worth being concerned about? Safety is also something I’ve thought about. 30 something, woman driving either solo or with one other person. Any tips?

It's not a bad idea, but definitely prepare yourself by anticipating complete grey and gloom, and don't depend on ever seeing the sun.

The rain won't typically be heavy - instead it will be light-ish drizzle that is unending.

(now of course it could be clear and sunny for the entire time you're in transit up the coast - but it is best to be prepared for what is more probable)

(Then anytime you do see the sun pop out, you'll be extra appreciative)

You'll find plenty to see and do in Portland and Seattle areas, but best to have indoor options in case the rain never lets up.

SNOW could certainly make random appearances, but wouldn't affect your northern trek very much IF you were to stick to the coast route. "Siskiyou Summit" in southern Oregon along Interstate 5 is the spot you'd be concerned about, if driving inland, but much of the rest of Oregon and Washington along that path would be minimally impacted by moderate snow itself (just the slowing and traffic inspired by such, could be the hinderance).

With the same mental preparation that would have you expecting steady rain, you can gen-er-al-ly expect to see zero snow of the sort which directly impacts your trip.

I wholly endorse taking an opportunity to see someplace well outside of your usual arena when afforded greater convenience... and although the weather in the northwest could be more inviting at that time of year, it won't be prohibitive.
Old Aug 29th, 2019, 03:49 PM

I totally agree with NorthwestMale: "Siskiyou Summit" in southern Oregon along Interstate 5 is the spot you'd be concerned about". We do the drive annually from Seattle to Palm Springs in early December just after Thanksgiving and we joke that crossing the border from OR to CA is like leaving the "land of Mordor" into the sun (gotta be a Tolkein fan: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mordor)

If it were me, I would probably choose either Northern California or the NW but not both and make it a circle trip. If you stay in CA, you could focus on Napa, Redwoods, beach etc. (which could be rainy that time or year too) and pick up a car at SFO or Oakland and then return it there. It will be cheaper than a 1 way rental. If you decide to do the NW then I would fly or train to either Portland or Seattle and then do a circle trip between those two places-or even just a one way trip-the drop off feel isn't usually too bad since they are only three hours apart.

If you did this you would miss Crater Lake-but many times it is hard to access that time of year and you most likely wouldn't have any snow to deal with since you wouldn't be crossing the Siskiyou Summit
Old Aug 29th, 2019, 05:31 PM

Received 17 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by jpie
I totally agree with NorthwestMale: "Siskiyou Summit" in southern Oregon along Interstate 5 is the spot you'd be concerned about". We do the drive annually from Seattle to Palm Springs in early December just after Thanksgiving and we joke that crossing the border from OR to CA is like leaving the "land of Mordor" into the sun (gotta be a Tolkein fan: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mordor)

If it were me, I would probably choose either Northern California or the NW but not both and make it a circle trip. If you stay in CA, you could focus on Napa, Redwoods, beach etc. (which could be rainy that time or year too) and pick up a car at SFO or Oakland and then return it there. It will be cheaper than a 1 way rental. If you decide to do the NW then I would fly or train to either Portland or Seattle and then do a circle trip between those two places-or even just a one way trip-the drop off feel isn't usually too bad since they are only three hours apart.

If you did this you would miss Crater Lake-but many times it is hard to access that time of year and you most likely wouldn't have any snow to deal with since you wouldn't be crossing the Siskiyou Summit
Siskiyou Summit is not the only trouble spot on I-5 in late November-early December. I remember a southbound trip DW and I made when we drove south on US 97 to Weed CA. Caltrans would not let us get onto I-5 without chains. I did have the chains but decided to wait 2+ hours until the Interstate was safe to drive south of Weed.
The Amtrak Coast Starlight is the safest bet to get from Sacramento north to Portland and Seattle.
Old Aug 30th, 2019, 06:49 AM

Yes you are right-really the drive all the way down to Shasta Lake which is at 1,000 ft. altitude can be slick that time of year. I was really suggesting that they avoid the whole area and limit a NorCal visit to Napa and perhaps Redwood and beach areas but not go further north than that.

My one concern with train travel is that it can also be a bit unpredictable in the winter although generally that tends to more of concern later in the year.