Search

SF to Point Reyes

Search this Thread

Old Mar 31st, 2002, 11:51 AM
Susan

SF to Point Reyes

We'll be in SF area this week. I've been searching the internet to come up with a week of places to see and things to do. We're thinking of driving north along the coast to Point Reyes. Any suggestions for a day trip? (a full day, I'm sure) What about coming back to Oakland via the Russian River or other wine areas? TIA

Old Mar 31st, 2002, 02:30 PM
carol

it's a very nice drive along the coast...but it is VERY VERY curvy so if you get car sick (i can barely be the driver it is that bad!) i'd say avoid it.

Old Mar 31st, 2002, 02:33 PM
Howard

It's a beautiful drive! And, once you park the car at Point Reyes and walk out to overlook, you'll realize that it's been worth driving out for!
There's also a beach full of seals in that area, the name of which escapes me!

Old Apr 1st, 2002, 08:45 AM
Joe

Susan: If very curvy roads bother yo, there is another, very scenic way to go (I've done both). Go over the Golden Gate bridge and continue up H/W 101 to
Corte Madera. Follow the signs to Kentfield, Ross, San Anselmo, and Fairfax. At Faifax, follow the signs to Point Reyes, H/W 1, Olema. There is a very good restaurant in Olema, right across the road from the stop sign as you come to Olema (large parking lot). From the stop sign, turn right and a short distance out of town you will see the signs to Point Reyes. When you are ready to leave Point Reyes, continue North on H/W 1 to Point Reyes Station. The town is worth a wander. Good American comfort food at the Pine Cone Restaurant and good sandwiches, cheeses, bread, wine, etc., at the facility across the road from the Restaurant and to the right (toward the firehouse). If you continue up H/W 1, you will pass through some beautiful farm country, and along one side of Tomales Bay. Look for fresh oyster stands waterside. Pick the size you want and either eat them from the shell or barbecue them on provided grills. Continue through some more beautiful country, eventually with ocean views without roads that are as curvy as H/W1 from just above Marin City. When you get to Jenner, turn inland to the Russian River Area. The little towns are fun. There are some very good restaurants and some really fine wineries. You'll spot plenty of B&Bs along the route if you choose to do some overnights. By the way, this route will cause you to miss Muir Woods which is one of the prettiest parks in the area (fee; great walk through an awesome forest). Have a great time.

Old Apr 1st, 2002, 09:18 AM
lizbeth

Susan,
Point Reyes is a great destination, one that locals such as myself enjoy as much as visitors. Here's another way to get to Point Reyes: Go north across the GG Bridge, stay on 101 past San Rafael and take the Lucas Valley exit. Take the Lucas Valley road out to the Nicasio turnoff, go through Nicasio and go west (a left turn) onto the Petaluma-Point Reyes Road. Follow the signs into either Olema or Point Reyes Station. I usually drive into Point Reyes Station and have a coffee and pastry at the Bovine Bakery, my favorite. Then I head a short distance down Highway One to the Inverness turnoff, which takes you onto the roads going into the National Seashore area. There are so many hikes and beach walks you could take in this area, all of them terrific. I love Drake's Beach, with its dramatic cliffs, its connection with history, and - on weekends, it has a little cafe open where you can sip hot cider and eat local oysters! Also, drive out Pierce Point Road, which goes through dairy farms and then up a high ridge from where you can see the whole of Tomales Bay.

If your day at Point Reyes goes longer than expected and you don't have time to do the Russian River wine country in the same day, go back on the Fairfax road described in an earlier post, or go north on Highway One to the town of Tomales and then turn inland on the Tomales-Petaluma road, for a drive through some beautiful country. Either way, you can access 101 and drive back to S.F. or Oakland.

I was out in Point Reyes last weekend. The hills are so green they are almost luminous and the wildflowers are out in profusion. Your trip is perfectly timed - enjoy, enjoy!