Search

SF to Mexico

Search this Thread

Old Jan 13th, 2007, 10:28 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SF to Mexico

Hi, i have a week to see as much of US as i can starting in SF and leaving via LAX. Had thought i would spend 3 days in SF and have that leg pretty sorted i think. Would love to see Mexico but cant work out the best way to get from SF to Mexico and back to LA. Like most travellers, money is a factor to consider. would love to hear your insights. many thanks
Old Jan 14th, 2007, 05:27 AM

Fly. US rental car companies will not allow you to drive their cars into Mexico.
Old Jan 14th, 2007, 05:32 AM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
OK - bit confused. You say you want to see as much of the US as possible - but only want to got to San Francisco and Mexico???

Where in Mexico - it is a BIG country. No matter what part thooug, you'd have to fly.

W/ 1 week you would have 3 days in SF and 3 somewhere in Mexico, then a flight back to LAX to fly out.

Any reason you aren't just staying in California? A week is barely enough time to see SF, a tiny bit of the coast and a couple of days in LA.
Old Jan 14th, 2007, 05:34 AM

oops - should be "No matter what part though, . . . "
Old Jan 14th, 2007, 06:41 AM

Mexico is a wonderful country, but its huge, and you don't start to get a real feel for what the country is really like until you are South of Mazatlan...
If you arrive in SF.....think of Yosemete, Death Valley, even Las Vegas and the Grand Canyon..ending in LA. The roads in the US are pretty good for covering large distances, if you like driving.
I'd save Mexico for another trip. The distance from LA to Mexico City is the same as from LA to New York (I read once)...
Old Jan 14th, 2007, 08:59 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
You don't have enough time to go to Mexico! Seriously, unless you fly down for a couple days. Hardly seems worth it.

One week is barely enough to do San Francisco, Los Angeles, and the coast in between the 2 cities imo.
Old Jan 14th, 2007, 11:52 AM
Ag3046

Make up your mind, Sophie. SF, LA or Mexico?

Old Jan 14th, 2007, 04:54 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for your replies and sorry, should have worded it differently. i've always wanted to go to Mexico and SF looks very interesting. LA and the coast in between doesnt hold that much interest for me. i know 7 days is short but its all i've got and as it will likely be my only trip anywhere around there for years to come i'm trying to cram as much in as i can. (LA is a long long way from New Zealand where i am from). Seems like flying is the only way to go??
Old Jan 14th, 2007, 05:22 PM

San Francisco is fantastic so is Mexico (huge country btw), but 7 days is awfully short to do justice to either.
Old Jan 14th, 2007, 05:39 PM
Ag3046

Sophie- Seven days? Have you ever heard of jet lag? SF is only reasonable choice

Old Jan 14th, 2007, 05:53 PM
Original Poster

Really?! I dont like the sound of that. I read a great article about 'three days in SF' which looked pretty good. I figured three days in SF then three days somewhere (who knows where) in Mexico then one day to travel back up to LA for return trip home. Is this really totally unfeasible? I'm not worried about jetlag, not really into overly 'touristy' things and am a pretty action type of a person.
Old Jan 14th, 2007, 06:03 PM

It's a 12-hour flight from Auckland to Los Angeles; I don't know if it's longer to San Francisco, but you will probably be jetlagged when you get there.

If you don't have to leave from Los Angeles, I would spend the three days you've already planned in San Francisco, then either go to Yosemite for a couple of days or down the coast to Monterey and Carmel. Monterey has a world-class aquarium, and Carmel has an old Spanish mission and is a lovely little town.

Lee Ann
Old Jan 14th, 2007, 06:48 PM
TahitiTams

Do 3 days in SF and then fly down to Cabo for 3 days and you have a day of travel..
Great deals on Expedia or
Alaska Air..plug in flight & hotel.
Great fun in the sun and the water is gorgeous and you can do this cheap..
lots of fish tacos and Mex beer.
Have fun NZSophie!

Old Jan 14th, 2007, 07:59 PM

If the coast does not hold that much interest, consider SF and Guadalajara (direct flights are available). But if I were you, I would spend a couple of days in SF and then spend time going to Yosemite and Sequoia NP and whatever is left over in LA.
Old Jan 15th, 2007, 07:12 AM
Ag3046

This is such a ridiculous question I'm inclined to belive the poster is a troll.

Would you advise someone to fly from US to NZ for 3 days and then on to Australia for 3 more just because they look interesting?

Old Jan 15th, 2007, 08:06 AM

As long as you have the money for plane tickets, I don't see why not...

Fly to San Francisco and spend three day there, fly to Mexico (Puerto Vallarta is a favorite of mine and has lots of flights departing San Fran international airport). Stay 3 days. Fly to LAX and catch your flight home.

Old Jan 15th, 2007, 08:10 AM

Ag3046- most kindly, she's not asking our permission or our opinion - she's asking how to accomplish what she wants to do... which is see San Francisco for a couple days then go somewhere in Mexico.
;-)

Puerto Vallarta is only a 2-1/2 hour flight from SF (2 hrs from LA). Cabo even closer (but more expensive once you're there).

Old Jan 15th, 2007, 08:22 AM

Sophie: From reading between the lines in your posts it sounds to me like you thought there was a way to do SF, Mexico and LA by land in 6 days. Since you seem surprised we all recommended flying.

Car/buses/train? No way - no how - not a prayer.

You need to decide why you are flying half way around the world into SFO and out of LAX. If it is to see a bt of California youu have time for that - but just a tiny bit. If it is to see mexico, again you have time to see a tiny bit of Mexico. But to do both it will be expensive and you will spend a LOT of time in airports in your week.

So if Mexico is your dream - then arrange a flight straight there from landing in SFO - or maybe stay one night in San Francisco. Then fly from Mexico to LAX to fly out. But first you have to decide what part of Mexico you meant - it is a huge country.

If on the other hand, California is your dream and you aren't interested in the coast - then stay 3 nights in SF and fly to LA. Spend the rest of your time there.

Old Jan 15th, 2007, 08:57 AM

My question is... did you already buy plane tickets?
Old Jan 15th, 2007, 02:41 PM
Original Poster

hi there, thank you for the suggestions. to clarify, i have a conference in Texas and am then flying into SF. (i was just trying to keep initial msg brief) I then have 7 days to see as much as i can before i have to leave via LAX Seeing LA doesnt hold much appeal - it's just where the airport i fly home on is. so i was hoping to see SF (sounds like an amazing place) and somewhere in Mexico (obviously not the whole place!). SUZE - I have only booked my tickets up to arriving in SF and out of LA, none of the bits in the middle as yet. thanks again

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -