Search

SF to LA in a day

Search this Thread

Old Jun 1st, 2002, 07:15 AM
Jayne

SF to LA in a day

We have to travel from San Francisco to LA in one day, which I know will be a long drive. Of course we will miss most of the wonderful sites along the way, but are there any especially worth stopping for that wouldn't take too much time?

Thanks

Old Jun 1st, 2002, 08:41 AM
Mark

The non-scenic route (not sure but i think highway 101) is quicker then the scenic (Highway 1). If you do the scenic, There are many scenic stops where you can park and look for a few minutes. This doesn't take much time but is definitely worth taking in some of the fantastic views. If you want to take a stop to spend a little more time, walk around, grab a bite, the carmel/Monteray areas are good and are closer to the SF then the LA end.

Old Jun 1st, 2002, 08:41 AM
Marj

The non-scenic route (not sure but i think highway 101) is quicker then the scenic (Highway 1). If you do the scenic, There are many scenic stops where you can park and look for a few minutes. This doesn't take much time but is definitely worth taking in some of the fantastic views. If you want to take a stop to spend a little more time, walk around, grab a bite, the carmel/Monteray areas are good and are closer to the SF then the LA end.

Old Jun 1st, 2002, 09:12 AM
xxx

The 101 is by far quicker than HWY 1, but far less scenic.

101 will take you through San Luis Obispo which would be a good stopping place for lunch. For something a little unusual, have lunch in the coffee shop at the Madonna Inn. The coffee shop is highly decorated and the ice tea comes with rock candy on a stick. The bathrooms alone are worth the visit. Pop your head in a check out the urinal in the men's room (most women do, so you won't be out of place). The Madonna Inn is right at the Madonna Road offramp, so it's very easy freeway access. Keep your eye out for some llamas and such as you drive out of the driveway, since they have a small zoo there as well.

Old Jun 1st, 2002, 09:59 AM
Jayne

Ah, this must be the restroom I saw on Travel Channel's World's Best Bathrooms!

Old Jun 1st, 2002, 10:27 AM
Bobcat

If you go for the completely unscenic route (I-5) then, depending on how fast you drive, you can be in LA faster than you think. It's not uncommon for drivers on that stretch to go over 90mph. Even with a pitstop along the way you can be in LA in 6 hours.

Old Jun 1st, 2002, 01:29 PM
Renee

Slow it down bobcat!!!! Where in AL will you be ending up? This makes a diference. SF to Santa Monica takes 6-7 hours with few stops on fast route, but SF to somewhere near Orange County is another story.

Old Jun 1st, 2002, 01:47 PM
xxx

The day of the week of travel also makes a big difference in getting out of San Francisco and evening traffic in LA.

Old Jun 2nd, 2002, 07:46 AM
Shannon

If you take highway 1, I'd stop in Big Sur (Nepenthe) for lunch.

If you take 101, for a real taste of California, you could stop at the Mission San Miguel in Santa Maria, spend about a half hour touring the mission, then jumping back in the car and stop for a bite in downtown Santa Barbara. Walk along State street.

If you take highway 5, just drive straight through to L.A.

I would encourage you to get the book California Landmarks, which is a good way for the non-drivers to pass the time. As you head down any of the above highways, there's inevitably a sign posted here or there with "California Landmark" with a number. You can look up the number in the book (by county), and find out about what historical site you're just passed up!

Old Jun 2nd, 2002, 08:29 AM
Jayne

Thanks for all these great tips. This is going to help a lot!

Old Jun 2nd, 2002, 08:54 AM
Sam

If you want to stop and see a mission, I'd stop in San Luis Obispo instead of Santa Maria. Downtown SLO is far more charming. There are lots of good restaurants to stop for lunch.

Old Jun 2nd, 2002, 09:56 AM
Gail

Harris Ranch, unless you are vegetarians or members of PETA, would be a good place to stop on Highway 5. My friends love the giftshop and the restaurant.

Old Jun 2nd, 2002, 11:19 AM
Jayne

Where is Harris Ranch?

Old Jun 2nd, 2002, 03:09 PM
A Native

Jayne - if you want to make SF to LA in a day then Hwy 1 is simply NOT an option, unless you mean to spend a 13 - 15 hour day. This eliminates the suggestions of Monterey, Carmel and Big Sur above as these are on HWY 1 which is hours and hours of slow winding (abeit, beautiful) road.

If speed is your aim, then Hwy 5, as suggested above is the fast route. This will shave 3 hours off your journey. However, Hwy 5 is definitely the non-scenic route.

Hwy 101 is your middle choice in terms of time and scenery. There isn't much in the way of interesting stops on this route either till you get to Pismo Beach, or Paso Robles, or San Luis Obispo, or Solvang (a quaint Danish town just north of Santa Barbara) or Santa Barbara itself.

If you have never seen Hwy 1, I must say you should try to find time for at least an overnight stay on the Monterey Peninsula or Big Sur. You won't forget it.

Old Jun 2nd, 2002, 06:47 PM
Jayne

We will have a little time on part of the trip where we'll be in Santa Cruz, and I thought we could take Hwy 1 up to SF. The SF to LA leg is part of the return trip, which unfortunately includes a lot of long driving days.

Maybe we can compromise and take 5 down to one of the above cities and take a more scenic route for at least a while? Is that doable? I don't want to use up a lot of time because it will just make the driving day seem soooo long. But I hate to miss EVERYTHING, you know?

Thanks,

Jayne

Old Jun 2nd, 2002, 07:43 PM
Susan

Jayne, unfortunately you need to either choose the 5 for speed or the 101 (and 1) for scenery. You can't have both. Once you are on the 5 you cannot get to Monterey, San Luis Obispo or Santa Barbara. Have a look at a map and you'll see the 5 cuts through the central valley of California without many "cities" along the way. Harris Ranch is really the only place to stop for something other than fast food until you get to, well, Los Angeles, really. There may be a few places to eat some folks can recommend between Grapevine and Los Angeles, but usually we plow through that last 90 miles anxious to get the long, boring drive over with. It saves you tons of time taking the 5 but you don't have much to look at along the way.

Have a look at a map and it will answer some of your questions. Good luck!

Old Jun 3rd, 2002, 08:34 AM
x

if you have never done it before, take the time to do highway #1. it is beautiful. i would plan on stops in monterey or big sur and then at san luis obispo. i've done the drive several times in one day. start out early and enjoy the scenary.

Old Jun 3rd, 2002, 11:49 AM
kam

We've done it all three ways many times. I agree with the above posters: the 5 for speed, no scenery and Harris Ranch the only place to eat, although there are a few little snacky places just before the Grapevine. 101 will let you see some things--agree with stopping in SLO to see the mission and eat or perhaps drive over to Pismo Beach. South of Salinas on 101 is the town of Soledad and La Fuente mexican restaurant----just a roadside place, but great Mexican food. There are also a couple wineries that you can stop at in the Salinas valley. Alternatively, you'll go right through Santa Barbara and can see the "Queen of the Missions" there and have a really nice meal on the pretty patio at the Wine Cask and walk out on Stearn's Wharf. Hwy 1 through Big Sur takes 3-4 hours alone to go about 90 miles! I would never try to do that as part of a one day trip. And, Harris Ranch is in Coalinga, just on the 5 freeway about halfway from here to there. You can't miss it--there's nothing else around.

Old Jun 3rd, 2002, 01:06 PM
x

Santa Cruz is likely my least favorite beach community in California. What a run down hole in the wall place. Hippies, immigrant farm workers and gang members. The only nice place in town is the college, but it's removed from town and really has very limited parking. I'd bypass Santa Cruz all together and take that time to explore Big Sur, Carmel or Santa Barbara.

Old Jun 3rd, 2002, 02:23 PM
Dennis

Can you say Gilroy? Garlic Capitol of the World.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -