SF restaurant recommendations

Old Jul 3rd, 2001, 08:55 AM
Barry Luke

SF restaurant recommendations

My wife and I shall be visiting San Fransisco in september, could anyone recommend a restaurant. We particularly enjoy seafood and Italian, though would be interested in trying other suggestions,

regards,

Barry Luke

Old Jul 3rd, 2001, 09:08 AM
Emily

Hi Barry,

Do you know what area of San Francisco you will be staying in? If you are downtown, then you are close to North Beach - aka Little Italy. Rose Pistola is the biggest name there - and the food is excellent - but expensive. I would try L'Osteria del Forno or Da Flora for a great meal at a great price!
If you are willing to venture out to different neighborhoods, my favorite restaurants are Luna Park and Delfina right now. Terrific food, great atmosphere & not too expensive. Both are located in the Mission area. If you're downtown, its probably a $10 cab ride to either one. - caveat - they aren't necessarily know as italian restaurants - more fusion.
Bon Appetit!

Old Jul 3rd, 2001, 09:18 AM
kam

Barry, look in the Rank and Rave section here--many of us have reviewed SF restaurants for you. Also check sfgate.com and sfvisitor.org for many ideas and reviews. The North beach district is famous for little Italian restaurants and coffeebars. Our favorite is Osteria del Forno, a tiny little place that doesn't take reservations and serves a hot style Italian/American type cuisine. There are many grander ones. Venticello on Nob Hill at Taylor and Washington is a tiny, very popular italian--make reservations well ahead.Seafood is also all over the place. You can go to the very posh Farallon and spend big bucks or you can find some very small places. Again, our personal favorites are Swan Oyster Depot and the Hayes Street Grill. Don't go to Fisherman's Wharf for seafood. If you want the classic big seafood restaurant, go instead to Scott's on Lombard Street. There are several in the Bay area and they are consistently good. Also very good Asian restaurants in SF--Chinese, Japanese, Thai, Vietnamese, Indonesian etc. Dim sum is very popular and there are many places in Chinatown. Have a great trip and welcome!

Old Jul 3rd, 2001, 09:21 AM
kam

Barry, Make that a "home style Italian" for Osteria! Go also to the Mission District for Mexican.

Old Jul 3rd, 2001, 09:29 AM
Leone

In SF, Plouf, a french brasserie for seafood ... you cannot go wrong here. In the Financial District, a few blocks off Market. Also, consider Swan Oyster depot for a laid back place where you sit on stolls and they open them right before your eyes. Great crab salad as well ... fun and first class. Ciao

Old Jul 3rd, 2001, 01:09 PM
ldsant

One of my favorites is Trattoria Contadina - Mason and Union.

Old Jul 3rd, 2001, 03:29 PM
Melissa

I Loooooove Crustacean. There are actually 3 locations....2 are called "Crustacean" and the other one is a Vietnamese name, I think. All the same owner. Their garlic noodles are fantastic and their crab is divine.

Old Jul 7th, 2001, 10:56 PM
MBA

I have two recommendations, on opposite ends of the spectrum. Aqua is simply exquisite, in terms of presentation, flavors and ambience. But it's also very expensive. Caffe Sport is an Italian seafood restaurant which has been around forever. It was very popular ten, fifteen years ago. Even though the crowds have dissipated, we find the food still great. While Aqua is very gourmet, Caffe Sport is hearty and homestyle. Where Aqua is very elegant, Caffe Sport is downright wacky. Be careful if you ask the chef if the lobster is fresh at Caffe Sport -- you may have a lobster crawling on your table. One thing both places have in common -- you'll leave with a very happy tummy!

Old Jul 8th, 2001, 12:20 PM
RHM

Aqua is VERY loud and the tables are so close you can FORGET any private conversation. The food was good though.

If you want elegant dining go to Masas. The food is better and the atmosphere much more subdued. I recently ate at the White Barn and Masas puts it to shame imho.

RHM