Search

SF/Redwoods scenery trip

Search this Thread

Old Dec 3rd, 2007, 02:06 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SF/Redwoods scenery trip

Hello all:

I had great luck with the trip help you provided last year for LA. Would you mind helping me with a March 2008 trip to the SF area?

We are flying out on March 12th and returning March 18th. It's an anniversary trip so we would like something for both of us. I love the ocean and DH loves nature, mountains, and State Parks. I have lived in CA and been to SF, DH has never been to CA.

I purchased a PhotoSecrets book on SF and Northern CA but it really doesn't help much with trip planning. (I think it is geared toward photopgraphers?) Anyway, the only definitive plan is we both want to see the Redwoods and I would like to see Big Sur, knowing he would too.

I am thinking SF first day or two. We land around 11am (San Jose)local time and will be renting a car at SJ airport. I think it best to start in SF and go south, ultimately returning to SJ airport for our return home.

I have read about Muir Woods but when I do a mapquest search it prompts me to chose from several options so I'm confused on that one. Also, Big Basin Redwood State Park looks really beautiful but I'm having trouble finding a place to stay nearby. I'd like to stay a night or 2 around BBRSP and a night or 2 near Big Sur. What in between should we see? Are 2 nights too much for the above 2? Any ideas on places to stay or eat? We both love fish/seafood and just about everything else so we're not picky. I know CA in general is rather expensive so nothing extravagant please! (< $200-250 per night if possible)

Also, what can we expect as far as weather goes?

Any and all help will be appreciated.

Thanks you guys, you're the best.

M & J
Old Dec 3rd, 2007, 02:45 PM

For Big Basin, there are some small mountain towns close by, but I would stay in the Santa Cruz area instead. Big Basin is about 30-45 minutes from Santa Cruz. There are a lot more lodging choices there - I think most of the lodging in the Santa Cruz mountains is geared toward summer vacation rentals.

Scotts Valley would be another choice for lodging around Big Basin. There isn't as much to see in Scotts Valley as in Santa Cruz though.

If you aren't interested in seeing Santa Cruz itself, then you could spend 1 night there - basically head to Big Basin from SF, hike around, spend the night in Santa Cruz and then head south to Big Sur the next morning.

Another option - take Hwy 1 south from SF, stopping at the beaches and towns there, stay in Santa Cruz. In the morning, go to Big Basin, hike around, then drive to Big Sur. Or if you want to spend more than a few hours at Big Basin, plan to spend a second night in Santa Cruz area - that way you wont be chasing the daylight in the late afternoon as you head down to Big Sur - it would be a shame to drive down there after dark.
Old Dec 3rd, 2007, 02:51 PM

Here's a link to a website that might help with your planning.

http://www.pelicannetwork.net/

Weather along the coast in March is iffy.

I'd let the weather determine the sequence of your trip. If the weather breaks for you, then go south to Big Sur the moment you land, don't wait till later. If the weather along the coast will be rainy/stormy, then I'd suggest going into SF and then north to Muir Woods to see the redwoods.

If you head southward, there are plenty of good and inexpensive places to stay in Carmel and Monterey.

There's been a ton written on Big Sur here on Fodors, you might want to read some of those former posts to get ideas for places to stay, eat, hike, etc. (Just type in "Big Sur" in the Search Box above) I'm certain the other Fodorites will have many good suggestions for you as well.

Welcome to California!
Old Dec 3rd, 2007, 03:21 PM

You should see Big Basin on your way south from the city, rather than backtracking from Santa Cruz. Get on Highway 280 from the city by going out 19th Avenue. It is an automatic transfer.

This is a beautiful, 8-lane freeway which goes along the hills back of Stanford University.

When you get to Sunnyvale, watch for the exit to Hwy 85. After you are on this the next exit you want is Saratoga Road. I believe the exit is called "Saratoga-Sunnyvale".

Turn right and drive straight through the town of Saratoga. Ignore the bend to the left in the center of town. You want to be on Highway 9. After about 13 miles or so you will see a sign for Big Basin State Park. This does a loop through the park and comes back out on Highway 9, which you then follow on into Santa Cruz.

I would spend the night here. It has a pretty tree-lined main street with boutiques, sidewalk cafes and restaurants, coffee houses, etc.

Drive the few blocks down to the Bay. It is a pretty drive along the bay to Natural Bridges State Park, just 2 miles from the wharf (it looks like you will be going north, but the Bay faces south, so it is really west..You want to be on West Cliff Drive.)

If it is not too late to visit the park, the Monarch Butterflies are here for their annual migration stop on their way to Mexico, and they are a sight to see..hundreds of them in the eucalyptus trees.

If you want to eat on the Municipal Wharf, the locals eat at Riva's Fish House. However, they do not take reservations or credit cards.

At this point you are only 45 minutes from Monterey and can make Big Sur the next day, if you like. You will probably want to spend some time in Monterey/Carmel either on your way down or on your way back.

You should be aware that if you have a car in San Francisco, hotel parking will be very expensive. The other alternative is to stay in the Lombard Street area in a motor lodge with free parking and leave you car there, taking public transportation downtown, etc. Parking is expensive and hard to find. One such motor inn which is popular is the Columbus Motor Inn. There are also these sister properties...Cow Hollow Inn and Suites, Coventry Motor Inn, Chelsea Motor Inn, and Lombard Motor Inn

Since there is no good public transportation from SJC into the city of San Francisco,(about 40 miles) you *will* need to get your car at the airport.

Be sure to check the weather reports before venturing down to Big Sur. We will be almost at the end of the rainy season, but sometimes there are mud slides which close Highway 1 in the Big Sur area.

Have a wonderful anniversary trip.
Old Dec 4th, 2007, 11:57 AM
Original Poster

Thanks to everyone for the suggestions. I am looking into any and all suggestions.

I had another idea while browsing. Perhaps I should go north from SF?

I could spend a day and night in SF then go North to Muir Woods (which I finally found) stopping at Sausaleto on the way up. Then continue up to the Redwood coast/Humboldt County area. Eureka looks lovely and so do the other areas nereby.

Which Redwood area would you suggest -- North of SF or South? Which area is more mountainous? Is the drive North too much for a 6 day trip?
Old Dec 4th, 2007, 12:07 PM

I just posted an itinerary for a 2-3 day trip across the GG bridge, Muir Woods, Coast Highway, Wine Country, etc. Click on my name & try to find it.

Stu Dudley
Old Dec 4th, 2007, 03:30 PM
Original Poster

Stu, I did a search on your name and found the post where you detail the highlights of the SF area. I could not find one on the northern coast or which is better for Redwoods, North or South. Would you mind posting the link?

Thanks,

M & J
Old Dec 4th, 2007, 03:36 PM
Original Poster

Stu, I think I found it but it only goes as far up as Wine Country. I am talking about way North, as in Eureka/Humboldt County.

In your opinion, which is better, Northern CA redwoods (Eureka area) Vs. Big Basin Redwoods. Which are do you consider to be the most scenic? Is the drive from SF to Eureka too far from SF for a 6 day trip?

Thanks,

M & J

Old Dec 4th, 2007, 04:55 PM

I haven't been to Eureka in about 15 years, and I have not visited Big Basin in over 30 years. Redwoods don't do anything for me. I have 3 of them in my back yard, and there are about 50 or so in our neighborhood - so I don't travel an hours or so to see more of them.

The giant redwoods are up north. It's a pretty drive but too long for a day trip from SF. If you have 6 days and your primary sightseeing goal is the redwoods - then head north. If you want spend your 6 days in SF, Carmel/Monterey etc - then visit Big Basin.

Stu Dudley
Old Dec 4th, 2007, 05:50 PM
Original Poster

<I haven't been to Eureka in about 15 years, and I have not visited Big Basin in over 30 years. Redwoods don't do anything for me. I have 3 of them in my back yard, and there are about 50 or so in our neighborhood - so I don't travel an hours or so to see more of them.
The giant redwoods are up north. It's a pretty drive but too long for a day trip from SF. If you have 6 days and your primary sightseeing goal is the redwoods - then head north. If you want spend your 6 days in SF, Carmel/Monterey etc - then visit Big Basin.Stu Dudley>

Thanks Stu. I don't know if they'll "do anything" for me either but the DH really wants to see them.

I wasn't planning on making it a day trip though. I was trying to figure out which way to go from SF -- north or south, knowing the Redwoods are in both directions. Take the drive down to Big Sur and see the Redwoods on the way or take the drive up to Eureka passing Muir Woods and Saucaleto. If it was just for me, I'd head south, but I'm thinking the drive north would be prettier and more mountainous? There is so much to see. I'm just not sure which way to go.

Thanks for your help.

M & J
Old Dec 4th, 2007, 06:35 PM

Coastal redwood forests come in 2 categories - old growth and regrowth. The old growth being groves that were never logged, which is where you find the largest trees. Regrowth are forests that were logged and have regenerated themselves. Both are great IMO - redwoods definitely do a lot for me and I love hiking amoung the redwoods or just driving through. For your first experience, I'd go for old growth because that is where the really big trees are.

There are old growth groves in Big Basin and other places in the Santa Cruz mountains, but the largest groves are further north in Humboldt county and that area. The reason is that the Santa Cruz mountains are closer to SF, so they were logged first. In Big Sur, I don't know if there are any old growth forests.
Old Dec 4th, 2007, 08:30 PM

Rather than visiting Muir Woods, why not drive an hour north of the Golden Gate to Healdsburg, then go West to Guerneville and visit the Armstrong Woods State Park. Its filled with Old Growth Redwoods and few tourists. Its really quite special. The area around Healdsburg has excellent wineries, and lots of great restaurants. If you want Fish, Try Willie's in Hbg. You won't be disapointed.
Old Dec 4th, 2007, 10:47 PM

I like the Eureka area, but in mid-March, I'd figure the odds of rainy weather are pretty high. San Jose/Santa Cruz/Big Sur might well have rain also, but it's definitely less likely and tends to be of shorter duration.

You might plan to adapt your trip depending on weather, with more time in cities if it is wet, and more time hiking or on the coast if the weather is good.

Worst case weather: it could rain much of the time (sometimes heavily) with only short breaks. Best case: sunny and pleasant with highs around 60-70. Average probably leans towards the "best case", but both are definitely possible.

Old Dec 5th, 2007, 03:13 AM

The post about old growth versus second growth is dead on. If you want to see "the redwoods" you want to see old growth. Second growth trees can be large, but they will never be anywhere near as large as old growth trees.

Even old growth areas are not all equal. Muir Woods really has about the smallest old growth trees of any of the redwood parks. It is also one of the smallest parks in area. It is famous because it is only a half hour from San Francisco. There are plenty of parks of similar size with bigger trees that are not well known because they are far from any major airport and there are larger parks with even bigger trees nearby.

If your goal is to see "the redwoods" and you have six days, and are interested by Eureka, that's where you should go. See the Avenue of the Giants and especially Founders Grove and the Rockefeller Forest along Mattole Road.

On the way north, you can stop along the Mendocino coast, a beautiful area of bluffs and crashing waves.

The only problem is the possibility of storms in March, as said, it can be pretty wet, well anywhere along the coast in March, and the chances increase as you go north.

Old Dec 5th, 2007, 07:43 AM
Original Poster

I so appreciate everyone taking time to reply.

It makes sense to wait and see what the weather looks like but how do you plan lodging at the last minute? Cabin/cottage types require advance payment. March does not sound like good driving weather. I enjoy the rain but will it be drivable?? How frequently are roads closed? Goodness, this is turing into a disaster. I regret the airline tickets are already purchased!

Thanks again to all,

M & J
Old Dec 5th, 2007, 08:39 AM

Locals here are applying "California standards" when describing our weather. We're use to almost perfect weather, so when it rains or becomes a little foggy - we complain a lot. Fog along the coast is pretty predictable in July - but not so much in March. The "average" mid-March weather will probably be OK. Can't remember what last March was like, but people say Nov & Dec are our rainy periods. It rained a tad yesterday, but that's the first time it has rained since I-don't-know-when. In fact, we've had record high temps much of November. I just put away the outside deck furnature on Monday. I've spent most of November laying around & doodling outside.

Even if it's overcast & a little drizzly, the coast is nice. One of the locals who contributed here even said on another thread that he prefers walking in the redwoods when it's misty or drizzling a bit.

Stu Dudley
Old Dec 5th, 2007, 08:47 AM

Wolfie: it will be fine. It's not a disaster. Remember that you asked for opinions so everyone has a different one, including me!
I live very near Big Basin. Yes, it rains here in March, but pouring, torrential, unrelenting rain doesn't happen often. If it does, it doesn't last long. Just bring comfortable clothes and boots that will keep you dry and you'll be fine.
It's true that the redwoods north of San Francisco are spectacular, but the forests of Big Basin are absolutely beautiful as well. The park is huge and the trees are very tall, and some of it is old growth. There are creeks and little waterfalls, it's quiet, it smells great...you will love it. Big Basin is also nice because you're not too far off the beaten path (even though you'll feel like it once you're there) so you can get there in less than an hour from SJO, and if you want to see other sights during your trip or go wine tasting in the Santa Cruz mountains or go over to the Monterey Bay, it's all within an easy driving distance.
And yes, go to Big Sur. Just allow time to get there so you're not rushed. It's truly one of the most spectacular coastlines you'll ever see.
Old Dec 5th, 2007, 10:55 AM
Original Poster

You're very sweet Caroline! You know, in my heart I want to go south of SF. I've actually investigated cabin/cottage rentals in the Santa Cruz area. I think taking the coast down to Big Sur (Rt 1) and stopping at all the sites in between would be great. I just want the Redwood thing mainly for my husband. He's a mountain man at heart and loves the mountains and really wants to see the Redwoods. I want him to see something spectacular. I think he'd love Big Sur, Carmel, Monterray, Santa Cruz. The darn Redwoods are screwing me up. I loved what you said though about Big Basin. The southern trip is what I originally planned but then I thought about going north because of my husband.

Thanks for the kind words Caroline,

Mary
Old Dec 5th, 2007, 11:01 AM
Original Poster

Stu,

I remember when I lived in the LA area drivers would freak when it rained. I've lived in the Midwest most of my life so rain doesn't bother me. I'm just afraid roads will be inpassable.

Thanks

Mary
Old Dec 5th, 2007, 11:28 AM
Original Poster

I forgot to ask, does Big Basin have the Redwoods that are so massive one can drive through? I know it sounds ridiculous and touristy but you-know-who is counting on it. I'm much easier, give me a glass of wine, seafood, and a spectacular view of the ocean and I'm happy!

Thanks.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -