SF: Over-Rated Places and Worst Experiences

Old May 18th, 2004, 04:44 AM
ChatNoir

SF: Over-Rated Places and Worst Experiences

Not trying to be negative - just trying to learn from those who have gone before us. And I know its also subjective, but what didn't you like and why?

Old May 18th, 2004, 05:27 AM
dcespedes

I don't care for Pier 39--though on a clear day views from the end of the pier are terrific--last week we could see Sausalito for the first time. IMO, Pier 39 is very "touristy" and has a carnival-like atmosphere which I know some people enjoy but I don't.

Old May 18th, 2004, 09:14 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Fishermans Wharf is over-rated. That said, I would still take an early morning stroll (say 9:00-9:30 am) to Pier 39 to watch the seals before the tourist trap businesses and teeming masses arrive - at that time of day it's not that bad. Was all over the city (there for 8 days) and have no "bad" experiences to report.
Old May 18th, 2004, 09:17 AM

ChatNoir~there is a thread about best things to do in SF. I contributed to it. You could click on my name and see. There are some wonderful suggestions on that thread of things to do from many of us who live here.
Old May 18th, 2004, 09:37 AM

The entire Fisherman's Wharf area, especially the most central part of it, is a plastic carnival with not much purpose in being any more except to get tourist dollars. I would give it last priority for your time, and particularly avoid restaurants there. Pier 39 at one end of the area is actually the second least unclassy part of it, and it's true the views and sea lions are good. Ghirardelli Square and the Cannery at the other end are the least unclassy part, and also have fine views. If you spend any time at the Wharf area, these are the places to do it.

Outside of the Fisherman's Wharf area, and aside from the predictable fact that the major hotels, and particularly their restaurants, are likely to be grossly overpriced, I think it's much easier to find treasures, expected and unexpected, than disappointments in S.F.
Old May 18th, 2004, 09:58 AM
ChatNoir

Thanks for the feedback. I saw and liked very much, the thread about the good experiences. Just wanted to get the flip side and wasn't expecting a huge number of over-rated or rip-off places.

Old May 18th, 2004, 09:59 AM

Have to agree with previous posters on Fisherman's Wharf. There's a reason why long-time residents and/or natives just don't go there unless forced to. It's the pits, IMO.

I also do not see the allure of Chinatown, but maybe that's because I've been here so long. I know it's "exotic" to those who live in places where the population is not so ethnically diverse. I do value the neighborhood for its history. I just really have a problem going past the grocery stores where there are live animals (turtles, quail, etc.) that are being mistreated while they wait to become somebody's meal. Anyway, that's just my opinion, and I won't be arguing that cause on this forum.

The Haight-Ashbury is another place that I can't see making a mecca of, unless it's to see some stellar Victorian architecure. Haight Street depresses me, with its very young street punks and drifters - it just seems very dingy and negative. By the way, I was there for the Summer of Love, I was there when the Dead and Janis and Country Joe used to just show up in the Panhandle (eastern extension of GG Park) with a flatbed truck and play music on Sunday afternoons. So I guess I know what it was like and am sad to see what it became.

Hope this gives you some insight, but don't let my opinions or anyone else's prevent you from going out to observe for yourself.
Old May 18th, 2004, 10:12 AM

Beach Blanket Babylon is a long running, really entertaining show!
Should not be missed!
Alcatraz was a bit much, but very enlightening.
F.Wharf, and most of the "famous" tourist stuff can certainly be skipped.
Do try Yank Sing for a great tourist Dim Sum lunch.
We really like the Canolis at Stella Pasticceria 446 and Figaro 414 Columbus after a long walk there.
The Stanford Court Hotel and their breakfast Lemon Souffle Pancakes with Raspberry sauce and fresh raspberries are the very best!
The Muir Woods over the GG are very impressive for a morning walk (unless you are a triathelete, you have to drive there).
I really prefer San Diego.
M

Old May 18th, 2004, 11:46 AM

I know many people love it, but I did not get the Cable Car museum. A huge wheel, lots of rails, and that's about it! I'd rather take another ride!

Also Cartoon Museum. One must really, really love cartoons to stare at those drawings.
Old May 18th, 2004, 11:49 AM

dovima - my mom feels the same way you do about the Haight-Ashbury. I think it's a cool place, but you're right - she remembers what is was like in the 1960s and it's current state saddens her. I'm not old enough to know any better, so I think it's a fine place
Old May 18th, 2004, 12:26 PM

JCorrea,
There sure wasn't a GAP store on Haight Street in the 60's!
Seriously, I do go down to the Haight on occasion to go to specific businesses like the Red Vic or Mendel's art supply. But the nice general hang-out factor evaporated a long time ago, IMO.
Now that I'm all grown up, I've moved slightly "uptown" to Cole Valley for dining and coffee drinking.
Cheers to you and your mom!
Old May 18th, 2004, 03:32 PM

CHat~the thread to which I referred is not the current one..but rather one from a while ago. Some locals contributed some great ideas. If you want to know what absolutely to skip
I'd agree with Pier 39 and the wharf. I'd probably say skip Alcatraz although I've heard the evening tour is pretty interesting. I'd probably also skip Chinatwon and go with folks recommendations for good dim sum.
Old May 18th, 2004, 03:39 PM

Chat, usually the tourists think they're going to California, must be hot here, but San Francisco is usually cool, so first thing they do - run out and buy those fleece pullovers with "San Francisco" on them. Don't do that please, bring a sweater with you!
Old May 18th, 2004, 04:04 PM
E

Well, I think you've got to see Fisherman's Wharf if you're a first-timer, but I like the idea of the morning stroll, maybe pick up a snack from one of the stalls, then hit the road. The restaurants and Pier 39 are total tourist traps. I do like stopping at Ghirardelli for something sinful, and it is, indeed, quieter at that end.
I'm not much of a shopper, so the Union Sq. area doesn't do much for me.
As for the Haight, I recall stopping there on my first visit, never again. There just wasn't much to see, although I was glad to be there and think about what I had read about the place in its heyday.
And I've already said here that I like both Alcatraz and Chinatown a lot--so much that I was always happy to accompany out-of-town guests there, instead of just sending them on their own!
So I guess I haven't any major disappointments to relate, either!
Old May 18th, 2004, 04:05 PM
ChatNoir

Thanks for more great info. But all this talk of Lemon Souffle Pancakes with Raspberry sauce and Dim Sum is making me super hungry.

PamSF - I'll check out the earlier thread.

FainaAgain, I could never live down the shame nor be able to post on the European forum ever again if I dared to buy a SF sweatshirt and actually wear it while in the city.

Sounds like something Degas might do, but not me! LOL.

Old May 18th, 2004, 05:40 PM
Jayne1973

For me, just being in San Francisco is exhilarating. Last time we were there we took one of those nightime walking ghost tours, which was fun and somewhat educational. Mostly I just enjoy walking-- exploring shops, cafes, bookstores, and catching the cable car.

Old May 18th, 2004, 05:47 PM
Jayne1973

Oops, you asked what we didn't like. Sorry. Don't you hate it when people don't reply to the question you asked? Even worse, I don't have an answer. I really didn't care much for the Sausalito area... to snooty and expensive.
But then that's not really San Francisco anyway.

Old May 18th, 2004, 09:12 PM

Hey Jayne - I thought I was the only one who wasn't enchanted by Sausalito I went over there and thought "THIS is the must-see people talk about?" To each his or her own, I guess.
Old May 18th, 2004, 11:58 PM

FainaAgain, I thought it was incredibly fascinating to see how those cable cars work, but then I can gaze at things like steam engines for ages. I like the way you don't have to spend a lot of time in the museum to see the main event, and that it didn't cost anything (although we left a donation).

I really didn't dislike anything about San Francisco. Fisherman's Wharf was about the worst of it.
Old May 19th, 2004, 07:57 AM

Faina! As you know I live here...and I own not one but TWO of the San Francisco fleeces quot;> . I even wear them when I go fishing!!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -